Adept I

Re: RX5700 and HDMI sound problem

Automated reply but see my fix above.

0 Likes
gtquan
Adept I

Here's  AMDs reply:

Your service request : SR # has been reviewed and updated.

Response and Service Request History:

Thank you for the email.

I request you to give a try by performing clean installation of latest 20.8.3 driver for windows 10 OS by using the DDU utility and check the issue status.

I suggest you to please disable the windows auto update in the "Show and hide" tool

https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/help/3183922/how-to-temporarily-prevent-a-windows-update-from-re...

To be on the safer side, I request you to please create System Restore point before performing any troubleshooting steps.

• Step 1 – Please use DDU Utility (Display Driver Uninstaller) by launching it in Safe mode and uninstall the previous driver. It will help you completely uninstall AMD graphics card drivers and packages from your system, without leaving leftovers behind.
  • Step 2 – then restart your computer again and enter into the normal windows mode.
  • Step 3 - install all the critical and recommended updates from Windows. (make sure windows is not installing the display driver)

Step 4 – Again restart the computer and then install drivers by clicking this below link. Please disconnect the network connection and disable antivirus before running the installer file.

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-20-8-3

Please get back for further assistance

Thanks for contacting AMD.

In order to update this service request, please respond without deleting or modifying the service request reference number in the email subject or in the email correspondence below.

Please Note: This service request will automatically close if we do not receive a response within 10 days and cannot be reopened.

If it is not feasible to respond within 10 days, feel free to open a new service request and reference this ticket for continued support.

Best regards,

AMD Global Customer Care

0 Likes
pokester
MVP

I don't know if you tv or monitor supports HDR but that adapter likely does not. The club 3d active adapter does. Obviously AMD has an issue with sound over HDMI that it doesn't have with Display port. My guess is likely a poor DRM implementation. 

0 Likes
kfir
Adept II

Thanks, please update if indeed the problems are long gone.

K

0 Likes
taurea
Elite

@gtquan

That is not a solution, that is the exact same "support" bulls### they always throw at their customers to make them go away.

What really really really ticks my the "#¤% off here, is that AMD even has the Audio stuttering issue (FINALLY) up on their "known issues" list on the driver, yet even so they throw their standard trouble shooting crap in your face.

They are SO dumb, that their own support don't even realize that the problem you are referring to, is actually on they Known Issues list.

I'm sorry for being a little blunt here. I've had my fill with AMD support and it just never gets any better. They should not be allowed to call it Customer Support, because it has nothing to do with it.

0 Likes
zezba9000
Adept I

Guys for the love of god its still in the "known issues" on the latest driver release notes.

JUST WAIT TILL ITS NOT A KNOWN ISSUE or just use a non-HDMI audio out sound device as its the ONLY known working alternative.

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-20-8-3 

KNOWN ISSUES:

• Audio may experience instability when connected through an Audio Video Receiver via HDMI® on Radeon RX 5000 series graphics products.
0 Likes
gtquan
Adept I

@kfir So far so good.  

@Pokestar - I have my receiver HDMI out going to an Epson Projector.  Don't think it is HDR.

0 Likes
pokester
MVP

No worries. Just something that isn't thought about sometimes when you pick out adapters. There is so much stuff to support in the AV world these days. 

0 Likes
kfir
Adept II

Thanks to yogurt both. I wouldn't have thought about checking the HDR feature.

Can you share which Club 3D adaptor is recommended? I see there are several models.

By the way, thanks to your post, a friend suggested I try to put am Active HDMI Splitter between the PC and the TV. I want to try it out (he has one I might be able to borrow). We think it will hint weather an active DP-HDMI adaptor will help.

(The adapter shipping might take weeks)

0 Likes
pokester
MVP

Well they have to be an "active" adapter, to be AMD compatible. 

This is the adapter I have. They are 28 bucks at amazon. 

Club 3D CAC-1080 DisplayPort 1.4 to HDMI 2.0B HDR Adapter Supports 4096X2160@60Hz High Dynamic Range