animeangel
Adept I

RX5700 and HDMI sound problem

Ryzen 5 2600x 

msi b450 tomahawk latest bios

kingston predator 3200 cl  16-18-18-36

Windows 10 up to date. 

I connect VGA to AVR via HDMI.

The problem is the sound from RX5700 is not smooth. It often jerky or sometime, the sound disappear.  I need to mute it from taskbar and open again then the sound will come back. But the problem will happen again and again.   

Updated driver cannot solve this problem. 

And my old RX580X do not have this problem. 

Any advice please? 

715 Replies
brianeddy
Adept I

Hey everyone, my 5 cents about trying to solve this problem. I have exactly the same issue and so far none of possible solution helps. I tried switching to PCIE gen 3, changing cables, DP-to-HDMI adapters, clean reinstall of drivers, lovering resolution, etc, etc. Nothing helps. I managed to wach couple of movies somehow with no issue one day, and I think that was pure luck, since next time I had a cut out every 5 mins or so. 

Some time I thought it was a media player or codec-related problem, since games seem to run fine, but it actually game-dependent. While some games like Metro Exodus work almost perfectly, others like RE2RE and witcher 3 (mostly in menu though) suffer so much that I use them as benchmarks in my effortless tries to fix it. 

Have a ticket about this problem opened, no conclusion so far. 

0 Likes

Same as me, been trying to play MGSV and usually in-game sound is fine but on menus and cutscenes is a mess barely any sound, really ruins the play session...

0 Likes
41kuroneko
Adept I

I just had an idea. We can test if this is a driver issue or not. Hackintosh now supports 5700 GPU's, if anyone has hackintosh compatible build they should try it and see if audio drops out. I would have done it, but I already sold my GPU. Dammit, why do you come up with good ideas when it's too late? 

0 Likes
zealotki11er
Miniboss

Hi Guys. 

------------------------For those with HDMI to TV direct connection issues ------------------------

> Today with a friend we discovered that using built-in Edge instead of Chrome to play Youtube seems to fix the issue. After that 2s drop itself recovers the Audio and it plays fine. 

> Another thing observed is that when the drop happens, under Sound > PlayBack > AMD High Defenition Audio Drivers we see [The device you are configuring has been removed]. 

> Also under Sound Settings you can see the Output Devices. Toggling them while the video with dropped audio will restore sound. Maybe someone can write a script and have it execute via some sort of keyboard macro as a temp workaround. 

0 Likes

I tried Chrome, Edge, Firefox, Opera, Vivaldi and it still happens. And yes I also noticed that the device would just disappear when the sound cuts out. I also use the workaround you described; switching between HDMI to onboard sound device, and back. I even have this app: https://www.audioswit.ch/er ..there you can assign a hotkey per device, but it's reaaallly not ideal.

0 Likes
zealotki11er
Miniboss

Just to add about the workaround: 

Use this app and with your desired keyboard shortcut you can switch audio sources which will restore audio to HDMI: 

https://soundswitch.aaflalo.me/

0 Likes
taurea
Elite

Hey Everyone.

Have a look at this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_x-QSi_yvoU&t

It's about AMD drivers.

0 Likes

lol this one also https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/f2gth2/adoredtv_still_something_wrong_at_radeon/ 

Reading through Reddit its still a mess on all fronts

0 Likes
omegasupreme
Adept II

Hey guys AdoredTV on youtube posted a really insightful video about some of the issues we are all having. I suggest you all go to the video and comment. Perhaps AMD will take notice

Still Something Wrong At Radeon

Still Something Wrong At Radeon - YouTube 

0 Likes
zealotki11er
Miniboss

Possible solution fix for (HDMI direct connection to TV)

I tried this with Vega FE and 5700 XT. Both now work no problem so far with Youtube/Chrome. 

Step 1:

> Got to Device Manager > Sound, video and game controller > AMD High Definition Audio Device. 

> Got to Device Manager > Audio inputs and outputs > LG TV (3- AMD High Definition Audio Devices)

You should see something like the picture below: 

Before.PNG

Step 2: The Solution

> Got to Device Manager > Sound, video and game controller > AMD High Definition Audio Device. 

> Properties > Driver > Update Driver > Brose my computer for driver software > Let me pick from the list of available drivers on my computer > High Defenition Audio Device > Next > Yes > Reboot PC.

You should see something like the picture below: 

After.PNG

After this at least my Setup with LG OLED works no problems. 

It seems the issue is Microsoft Driver for Audio input and outputs is somehow conflicting with AMD High Definition Audio Device under Sounds, video and game controllers. 

I hope this helps many people and maybe AMD could get some light into what is causing the issue from this change. 

I will test it with my everyday usage and see if I still get Audio drops. 

Rock on AMDers!

We might just have something there zealotki11er! Has been working flawlessly for about an hour now. *Fingers crossed*

0 Likes

I did it 3 days ago not worked for me (still drops and cant choose atmos). But I delete device AMD High Definition Audio Device with drivers.  So after that I update driver via Windows update and new driver was 10.0.1.6 test it 3 days looks OK.AMD HDMI Device 10016 Driver.jpg

UPD: It's  black magic, 3 days work OK, but right now again drops on YOUTUBE.

0 Likes

That has always been the problem for me. Be careful shouting out a solution too quickly, because it may work for 1 or 2 days or more and all out of no where the problem just shows its ugly head once more.

I've had my system running stable for days and then just one day with NO changes to ANYTHING on my system of any kind at all, audio drops were just horrible and frequent and all over the place.

I've said it before, but this issue really has a life of its own. I've not yet found a specific way to force is to "show", so to speak...

@caxyh  - Jub. I've tried the whole different HDMI driver version before. I think it was with 10.0.1.7 though.

Have a look at this: https://community.amd.com/thread/241539?messageTarget=all&start=75&mode=comments#comment-2932283

@zealotki11er  - I wonder ..  both you and Caxyh updated the HD audio driver the same way, apparently. Why did you end up with different driver versions, Windows update RNG? Any ideas about that?

AMD has now decided to NOT give us this option, however, so installing an older HDMI audio driver from an older driver, using adrenaline installer, is no longer possible. Thank you AMD.

Even so, that eventually failed me as well. System appeared stable, but after a while… nope, audio drops here and there and all over the place and I smashed a glass against the wall. Jub, regretted that too. Didn't solve the issue and I had to clean it up. Gave me something else to think about tho ..

0 Likes

What's old is new again.  This exact problem occurred once before in the early days of AMD's audio over HDMI.

https://www.eightforums.com/threads/fix-amd-hdmi-no-sound-output-to-monitor-speakers.21357/ 

Interesting that AMD has somehow managed to run into the identical problem again.

0 Likes

AdoredTV said the very same thing is his Vid (a different issue), what was fixed in one driver was broken again in the very next release !!

Like... WHAT …. THE ……

0 Likes

I vaguely remember dealing with this issue 10 years ago or so.  I remember the issue was similar, and ultimately I wound up using the Microsoft driver, and always unchecking the AMD/ATI audio driver when I would install driver updates.  The issue affected my Terascale GPU (HD5870) and I don't actually know if it was ever resolved.  Eventually I bought a GCN based HD7970 and the issue disappeared.  The AMD HDMI audio driver was conflict free with every iteration of GCN GPUs I have owned.  Now, interestingly, RDNA based GPUs seem to have the issue again, so it is possible the issue was never fixed but simply didn't affect GCN based cards. 

0 Likes

and always unchecking the AMD/ATI audio driver when I would install driver updates.

This is just borderline hilarious. Take a wild guess what you can NOT do anymore, when installing a newer version AMD driver.

Jeb, good guess  

Edit: Not that is actually matters that much in this specific case, as I've tried it with an older driver version which made no difference.

0 Likes

The issue for me with clean driver install latest driver was with anything after GCN 4.0. Vega Fe, Radeon 7, 5700 XT. Identical symptoms. 

0 Likes

AMD has a history or using several forks of the drivers and at times discontinuing one that had a fix, then releasing another with new features but the old issues are not fixed that had been fixed in another branch of the driver. It drives me crazy they do this as it has caused many issues over the years.

0 Likes

In my case changing dviver to default windows one did nothing  Still drops as frequently as always. But thanks for sharing the info! 

0 Likes

For me it fixed the Youtube issue but playing .mkv H.264 (1080p) video with VLC I still drops in and out which is different than the Youtube drop. Looks like more debugging is needed. 

0 Likes

Well, I picked up a 5700XT to throw in the TV system to see if I notice the same issue and help try and troubleshoot.  If my wife asks, I'll blame all of you. 

0 Likes

This "fixes" youtube, netflix audio play, as in I did a quick test and was much better with no drops. But as soon as I fire up a game then the sound is gone again.

Unfortunately, the only way to play with this card on a 4k tv is to have sound routed somewhere else not through the GPU.

Just glad that some reviewers started to call out AMD on their crap and stop recommending AMD GPUs. Not like it matters much to me now tho

0 Likes
zealotki11er
Miniboss

The MS HDMI audio driver is actually newer than the one AMD provides. I still have not hit the problem yet personally. If anything it's already 99% better than before. The way audio plays is even better than Nvidia right now with no delay in playback. 

0 Likes
taurea
Elite

0 Likes
zealotki11er
Miniboss

Played the same clip that I constant drops using Movies & TV and all is good. I really think Microsoft is messing with AMD drivers in some ways. 

0 Likes
kasferatu
Adept II

Things have gone from bad to worse at my end.  Not only do I have this sound problem, since I moved up to a 144hz FreeSync monitor I now also have the dreaded black screen problem.  No idea if I have any legal rights to return the card given it is 6 months old but there is no point in me replacing it under warranty as a replacement card will just have the same problems.  Can't believe how much I'm regretting not getting the 2070 Super.

Wait you are having sound issues with 144 Hz screen? Are you using HDMI or DP? There should not be any reason for someone to use HDMI over DP unless they have a TV. As for the black screen. Did that start recently? If so then try 19.10.2 Drivers. That seems to work for a lot of people. 

0 Likes

I connect to my TV via HDMI for games where I can sit and play with a control pad.  For KB/M stuff or for when my partner wants to use the TV I use my monitor (over DP).  There's no sound to that monitor, I just used headphones.  So black screen problem is on my monitor over DP.  Sound problem on TV over HDMI.

0 Likes
xjmnz
Adept I

I must say I haven't experienced sound issues since replacing AMD sound drivers with Microsoft's.

0 Likes

Chrome sound was fixed with Microsoft HDMI Driver.

Playing video files was solved using Movies & TV

I still drop audio in and out in games. The last game I tried was Devil my Cry 5. 

0 Likes

I also had to use some other player insted of VLC because of audio drops. But Movies & TV don't 100% fixes the problem. It's much, much better, but it still can drop

0 Likes
xklx
Journeyman III

I don't know if it was mentioned before, but the audio through HDMI is dropping on Linux too. I didn't notice crackling or any other issues yet.

The issue seems easily reproducible in Fedora 31 (GNOME Shell):

Start music and then constantly press the Super (Windows) key to switch between overview & and a window.

Running a simple 3D application (glxgears with vblank_mode=0) works around the issue too. It doesn't seem to make any difference which power state is applied. I've forced the low (300 MHz GPU, 100 MHz Memory) & high (1750 MHz GPU, 875 MHz Memory) states but I don't observe any differences (audio is dropped without load & doesn't when glxgears is running).

0 Likes

On Linux, what disto and what driver? Mesa/OpenSource or proprietary driver?

If the open source driver works that might tell us if its a hardware or bios flaw like the 5600 has... which AMD will never admit to.

0 Likes

Fedora 31, OpenSource: AMD NAVI10 (DRM 3.35.0, 5.4.18-200.fc31.x86_64, LLVM 9.0.0, Mesa 19.2.8).

The dropping seems to stop if dynamic power management is disabled (amdgpu.dpm=0), but it's only based on a quick test. I'll try to play around the additional options when I find the time & after I understand what each options is supposed to do.

0 Likes

My money is on a BIOS flaw at this point. Considering 5600 had one and this is happening with completely different drivers. Even if a workaround is possible from the driver side my guess is the core issue is in the BIOS and the reason this hasn't been fixed or acknowledged.  AMD's GPU marketing team might be scared and if someone actually figures out it is a hardware or BIOS flaw because they clearly don't have a good QA team and AMD knows it is, its going to do even more damage to their reputation in this space.

0 Likes
diabbb
Journeyman III

Might be a long shot... I experienced sound drops from time to time and did the following yesterday:

RX5700XT Frequency jumping up/down my fix. : Amd  which links to ULPS: How to disable 

I don't think I experienced any drops today.

0 Likes

Unfortunately, cannot confirm. Still drops with all "EnableUlps" changed in registry to 0 in my case. 

Same here, tried the "EnableUlps" to 0 everywhere, did a restart, double-check the values and still audio drops.

I found something interesting tho, while I was playing with the clock speeds on the overlay the game would stop having dropouts. Basically, I start FFXV (win store version) and when I get to the main menu I get a constant audio drop every 2 seconds or so, then I pull up the overlay (Alt + R) and sound plays without any issue... I close the overlay and lol sound drops are back. Now for some reason, the overlay stopped working properly, now it minimizes the game instead of showing an overlay *facepalm AMD* which did not allow for much further testing. I tried MGSV which I get often audio dropouts on the main menu and the same applied with the overlay on I did not get any issue, I also tried the Metrics overlay and no issues so far. I'll be fair, I did not have time to play for some hours to really verify this, but I will try it more extensively over the weekend.

Btw, if anyone knows how to get FFXV windows store version to properly show the AMD overlay again that would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

0 Likes

Hi everyone,

with the Microsoft drivers the situation had already improved and with this adapter the problem seems to have been resolved definitivelyWhatsApp Image 2020-02-24 at 23.24.19.jpeg