cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics

elginroko
Adept I

Re: RX5700 and HDMI sound problem

Engadget are soliciting user reviews here Are the Radeon RX 5700 and 5700 XT ideal GPUs for your gaming PC? | Engadget , I left one that I felt was appropriate:

These cards are not appropriate for anybody attempting to create a Living Room TV gaming rig. Per this thread on AMD's forum (https://community.amd.com/message/2941700?commentID=2941700#comment-2941700), a large number of people have been reporting audio dropping out when carried over HDMI/DisplayPort to a TV or audio receiver. AMD support have responded that they "cannot comment on the performance" if using this setup - the standard and often only realistic setup for gaming on a TV. AMD are clearly stating that gaming on a TV is not a setup they are willing to support, and purchasing one of their graphics cards for such a setup is done at the users risk.

vidhyasagar
Journeyman III

The problem is very low idle frequency. Just try the GPU under load, sound issues will be gone

0 Likes
zezba9000
Adept I

I also have this issue. Audio cuts out for 1-5 seconds while playing DOA6 or playing a YouTube video.

Just built this rig yesterday.

TV: 2019 LG OLED C9

CPU: 3800X

GPU: RX 5700 XT Sapphire Pulse

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming

32gb 3200mhz ram.

18gbps HDMI cable

DOA6 being played at 1080p 60fps... so its not a bandwidth issue.

My old rig with a Nvidia gtx 1060 had no audio issues on the same TV with the same HDMI cable.

Please AMD update your dam audio driver or test out this issue PLEASE!  I see posts about this all the way back in Aug... it ridiculous at this point.  I've tried latest recommended and optimized drivers at the time of this post.

I need to run stuff through HDMI 2.1 to get VRR with audio on the internal TV speakers.

0 Likes
daveydguk
Adept I

Hi everyone. I've just turned off Precision Boost Overdrive in the bios.

Stutterings gone and sound stops.

Asus B450I, Ryzen 3600, RX 5700 Media Player Home cinema using MAdvr.

Using latest adrenalin 19.12.1

0 Likes
taurea
Elite

Using 1'st gen Ryzen, so yeah… nope.. Not an option.

0 Likes
daveydguk
Adept I

Are you over clocking the CPU or anything related to it ?

I've tested a few films using hdmi pass through DTS, Dolby, HD and standard nitrate to Denon AVR connected to lg TV etc and no more stuttering or sound drops out at all.

Can anyone else confirm this who has Ryzen 3000 series CPU ?

0 Likes
xbl
Adept II

im long done with this and not so much in a ideal way iv fixed the issue by buying logitech z906 and connected it to the motherboard via optical cable. on a plus side i have great audio and bass now but my wallet is £150 down.

0 Likes
seccadcaglayan
Journeyman III

I have Ryzen 5 3600 and ı used Precision Boost Overdrive. And sound drops always when PCM mode. Tonight ı will test @daveydguk config which disables PBO on bios. By the way, ı am using Harman Kardon avr265 and sometimes Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio work fine but sometimes not I don't have any idea about the problem.

0 Likes
taurea
Elite

@seccadcaglayan - Will be interesting to hear your results back, however still just not an option for my 1'st gen Ryzen which has not PBO support and hence cannot disable it.

@daveydguk - Yeah I'm running a 24/7 3700 MHz clock on it. I will give stock settings a try at some point to see if it makes any difference. Though I cannot see how CPU clock has any effect on GPU and this HDMI audio drop issue.

0 Likes
daveydguk
Adept I

I'm running ycbcr 4:4:4 at 8 bit on adrenalin display settings.

Resolution at 3840 X 2160.

HDR is working via MADVR. 

Upscaling and down scale set to dxva native.

HDR at 1080p native windows is washed out when playing 3840 X 2160 down sized to 1080p.

Before  I  made this change PCM had small blips and passthrough was popping the speakers and stuttering.

Hopefully it may give AMD a clue to stabilise the sound output. Maybe it wont. Just thought I'd share it in the hope it can be fixed for all you good people.

0 Likes