animeangel
Adept I

RX5700 and HDMI sound problem

Ryzen 5 2600x 

msi b450 tomahawk latest bios

kingston predator 3200 cl  16-18-18-36

Windows 10 up to date. 

I connect VGA to AVR via HDMI.

The problem is the sound from RX5700 is not smooth. It often jerky or sometime, the sound disappear.  I need to mute it from taskbar and open again then the sound will come back. But the problem will happen again and again.   

Updated driver cannot solve this problem. 

And my old RX580X do not have this problem. 

Any advice please? 

715 Replies
skoolbus
Journeyman III

The problem I had was when gaming via HDMI the video would remain constant but the audio would stutter. On my receiver I could actually see the 5.1 zones on the front flicking off and on when the glitch took place.

I have a 5700XT, I've posted my dxdiag output under this. I had this happen to me after a driver update, I was able to play the same games without any audio issues before updating to 19.9.2.

I rolled back my driver to 19.7.5 and the issues went away, I am quite happy that this wasn't a hardware issue. There is certainly a regression in AMD's HDMI configuration for 5700XT cards between 19.7.5 and 19.9.2.

AMD Download Link -> https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-19-7-5

DxDiag.txt: https://pastebin.com/6kCXd1yX

0 Likes
nox24
Adept I

Hi found solution for the audio stutter over HDMI
I have sapphire rx5700 pulse + amd ryzen 3600 + msi a- pro b450

I think that the issue is somewhat connected to that the gpu is in power saving mode (low mHz) when in low demanding procces is on.
I have issues with HDMI when im playing video, I've tried many programs and nothing changed, then I've played not very demanding games and the issue still occurs, but when I've played like AAA games no isues at all.

•What I'm doing to fix the issue?
I've downloaded FurMark and I'm running it (800x600 in background) when I'm using hdmi (to watch movies on TV). The benchmark is forcing the gpu to be fully loaded and that is preventing audio problems.

That solution isn't very good (full load no power saving) but for me its working.
Maybe that will help someone!

This makes sense. As I had no issues when playing games with the sound

0 Likes

We might be looking at multiple issues here then because mine drops out like crazy in Forza Horizon 4.

0 Likes

If you're right could you not apply a wattman profile to hold the voltage up instead of furmark? 

0 Likes

Yeah I thought about Wattman but sadly for radeon 5700 and radeon 7 there isn't much options there (for changing Mhz). Also to be precise I think the problem is with frequency not with voltage. But i don't know if its core or memory ferequency. (probably core) In power saving its like 6-10 Mhz for core. When I'm watching full hd video its unstable from 6 MHz to 200 MHz (in the view shift+ctrl+o).

I don't know if there is any program that can force minimum MHz to be higher or to make "fixed" MHz

0 Likes

I thought it was worth trying to ask about forcing a lower limit on the downclocking of the GPU over on the AMD reddit, I don't know if it will get much in the way of response, but it is here if you are interested: 5700XT - Trying to stop the graphics card reducing its clock speed in order to test out HDMI sound p... 

0 Likes

I can definitely say there's something about frequency and audio dropout being related.

So what I did:

Play something on Spotify only

Result: not a single beep, really nothing at all

Play something on Spotify

Put some video also playing on youtube

Result: audio with a lot of dropouts ~3-5 seconds audio, ~3-5 seconds no audio

Ok... Improvement

Play something on Spotify only

Play with Wattman: Gpu -> Manual frequency -> Min frequency @1700 + -> apply

Result: Stable audio until it just crashes the whole system with a freeze and I have to hard reset the machine

Kind of expected at this point that AMD software just doesn't work. But I stop testing as its bad enough to have an expensive and defective card, don't need AMD ruining the rest of the rig.

In any case, IMO this can be fixed with the driver once they get around to actually look at this issue.

Cheers

0 Likes

I seem to get the issue in borderlands 3 but only when it goes into a cutscene at 30 fps playing is fine but in a cutscene I have no idea whats going on. kudos for the fact the game is made in partnership with crappy AMD GPU and CPU.

anger over...……...

your onto something though.

0 Likes

Man, this is some wierd stuff..

Don't know if you read my previous post, but I get the exaclt same issue as you do, just the exact opposite.. Playing games on my Main monitor with audio over HDMI, makes for an audio stutter-fest. At times it gets really really bad, so bad I can barely even hear the audio at all. Most of the time it's just bad and annoying have cuts in sound like once every 3-4 second.

However, when these cutscenes come in and lock the game to a fixed 30 FPS, all audio cut-outs are gone and everything is working fine.

Hmm ....

0 Likes

Ok I think you are onto something here too.  I was running spotify in windows and getting regular drop outs.  Fired up Civ 6 and just left it running (in 4k, so the graphics card was running at max) and didn't get a single sound drop out.

Sorry to bring it to you, I talked to amd over the phone, there is and never will be any change. Because I already stated them that it's stuttering like crazy when the GPU doesn't have my workload, why even reduce the clock down to <140mhz a(at times at 20mhz) "no load"?. I also told them that it's happening in Witcher 3 at 4k maxed out, for reproduction, the moment you step into the menu and sit there for a bit the whole mess starts. But they weren't interested in it and also closed my ticket. (That's the call where they guy on the other end got pissed and started to go crazy on the phone). On AMD side it's working as intended to safe power and won't and cannot be changed ( his words). My guess is that most ppl got their card just plays on a monitor with headphones, and because the stuff doesn't happen on the MB audio No1 notices it , because the video signal is fine. 

Just for reference, my GTX 1070 Sits at 450-500mhz at Low to no load, also the memory clock is reduced while on AMD side the memory is always at 800mhz (yy I know, wattman isn't the best at reading

just my input for you guys

0 Likes

I fear you are correct.  My contact with the AMD support team is not helpful at all.  They are asking me now to test my PC with another LG TV (like I have a spare one just laying around...)

Can anyone think of a way we can get useful AMD eyes on this?  They obviously don't read these forums, and their direct support is completely unhelpful.

I really really regret buying AMD now

0 Likes

Just return the card, mark it as "not working as promised", and send AMD an mail with, " thanks for no help at all, I bought Nvidia now,"  me for my part only regret buying the GPU, the CPU on the other hand is awesome compared to the overpriced intel cpu. Let's differ the AMD here .

No they don't answer in these forums other than a couple mods who occasionally do offer great help when they can. But there is no driver development team help here. Your choices are the support team of the company that made your card, Saphire, MSI, XFX.... etc.... If it was AMD then then it's the same folks you are already talking to. Vote with your dollars and return the card if you can for something else that works. If you have passed your return window and you can't return it, then you learned a valuable lesson, DON'T DO THAT. I don't keep anything past my return window anymore. I won't be a beta tester regardless of brand loyalty. This stuff is just too expensive to do that. You have every right to demand a card that works as promised so definitely RMA it if you can't return it. Demand it if they don't volunteer it. If they still don't help and I am pretty sure they will, most companies will, you may have some recourse with your credit card company if you bought it that way for a refund.

Good Luck!

0 Likes

I bought it was part of a complete PC and I'm beyond the return window - I didn't really notice until too late to be honest.  If I can prove it is the graphics card that is at fault though I feel I have some ammunition to ask for some sort of exchange.

The AMD support have insisted I contact LG about this since I mentioned I have the problem with my LG TV but not my Sony one.  The initial responses from the LG team have been much more pleasant, but honestly not sure what they are going to be able to do to help me!

kasferatu by curiosity what's your LG tv model? Maybe you posted it here but this thread is getting too big

0 Likes

It's an LG OLED55B7V

Oh that is interesting.. Could you specifiy further how your issues are with one TV and not the other?

I'm using a Yamaha receiver and a Samsung TV as my 2'nd monitor and the HDMI goes through the receiver to the TV, not to the TV directly.

All though, I'm not sure how HDMI throughput works exctly because in my audio output settings on my computer, it's the TV listed there as a source and not the receiver. So my guess is that it is my TV that is responding to my computer over HDMI, not the receiver.

Are you also using a receiver or just going strait to the TV ?

And as a side note people. I've also been in contact with AMD Tech Support and they are reading this thread.

So far they've told me that they have reported the HDMI audio stuttering issue and the low Mhz power state issue for further investigation.

I remain hopeful.

I just saw that 19.9.3 was released like 3 days ago. Nothing mentioned about this specifically issue in either fixed or knowns, other then some Radeon VII stuff that could maybe be related.

I'm at work for the next 10-12 hours now, if anyone get a chance to test 19.9.3, let us know please  

Thanks.

well that's great news they are finally looking at this alpha/beta test page XD.

I was playing shadowkeep yesterday and it ran fine, until the cutscenes which drop to 30FPS and everyone started stuttering like it was a stutter party. luckily for me I know the faults with this card and had subtitles enabled so I still knew what was going on. 

im downloading 9.3 now

ill post feedback but im not hopeful as they have only just started acknowledging the issue and us.

UPDATE!!!!

don't get excited. it changed nothing

0 Likes

Don't bother. It doesn't work.

0 Likes

I'm plugging straight into the TV.  I have 2 PCs and 2 TVs.  One PC has the 5700XT the other has an Nvidia GTX970.  The TVs are an LG and a Sony.  Using the same HDMI in all tests, if I try all 4 combinations:

Nvidia + Sony: Works

Nvidia + LG: Works

ATI + Sony: Works

ATI + LG: Sound dropping issues.

0 Likes

Actually, most major issues are seen by or brought to the attention of AMD folks - it's just that not everything can be responded to directly and/or immediately on a whim. Also with a vast diversity in hardware, it's often not easy to pinpoint the problems. Like the OP's problem, I'm trying to replicate it with my AVR (Sony STR-DN1080) and I'm not having issues. I've had issues in the past with this exact problem but with different hardware - it turned out to be my AVR at the time (also Sony, but much older model).

This almost sounds like a pass-through or compatibility issue which will be probably be looked at.

0 Likes

no one is saying they need to reply to every comment, just an acknowledgment they have seen what issues people have or are having. 

the issue is a lot more widespread than the concern of AVR setups, try plugging straight into a monitor or TV bet you have the issue everyone is having.

after speaking to AMD support (and most here have) im not surprised people are annoyed and frustrated. AMD support is like talking to a foreign monkey who has no idea what a graphics card is.

0 Likes

Actually I do this on a daily basis which is why I'm trying to reproduce some of the issues. I don't have LG because of past experiences and I generally stick to Samsung and Sony TV's or monitors/panels. Using either the AVR or straight through, I don't see any issues (yet) but I'm trying to replicate it. So far it only seems to be linked to LG from reading some of the posts here.

The AVR in the loop is Sony STR-DN1080; tested with and without the AVR on both a Sony XBR-900F(?) and a Samsung Q80R. This is on a Crosshair VIII + 3800X and Sapphire RX5700XT Pulse.

For my daily gaming rig, I also have a Sapphire Pulse RX5700XT and Ryzen 7 3700X on a Crosshair VIII. I don't use the AMD audio drivers (I always deselect them) since I use hardware mixers for my stream etc. I'll try installing the AMD audio drivers to test it out. I'll have to figure this one out since my monitors do not have speakers.

Just like anyone else, I would love to see this issue resolved and the more (usable) data the folks at AMD have, the better.

Edit: Still playing Ghost Recon Breakpoint on the AMD HDMI audio drivers attached to my monitor. Audio hasn't cut out yet. I'm on current drivers (19.9.3).

0 Likes

For ref, you said: "Edit: Still playing Ghost Recon Breakpoint on the AMD HDMI audio drivers attached to my monitor. Audio hasn't cut out yet. I'm on current drivers (19.9.3)"

I'm not sure you will ever see the issue when troubleshooting like that .. When I play Gears 5 on my main monitor with audio on headset, I have no Audit stuttering or cut-outs either. it works fine.

But, when I switch my audio output from normal PC speakers/headphones to HDMI (still playing Gears5 on my main monitor) which goes through my receiver to my TV, THEN i get stutterings/cut-outs like crazy. Sometimes it's so bad I barely get 50% of the audio out of my speakers.

Also, set a media to play on your 2'nd monitor over HDMI, video, audio whatever, and then set focus on something on your main monitor. It's like the driver will down-prioritize the 2'nd monitor too much over time (and as a result the HDMI too), and then we get stutterings.

Now try and boot up a game, and it gets even worse. My 2'nd monitor video playback would start to audio-stutter and get worse and worse, then the picture would start to stutter and lag and get worse and worse over time and once enough time has passed it would finally end up freezing completely. Like if your whole computer froze and all you had left was the reset button.

Funny thing here is, at this point I was still IN the game on my primary monitor (Rise of the Tomb Raider), and the 2'nd monitor was completely frozen. I hit ALT+TAB to get to Desktop and VOILA, the video startet playing again like I hit a playbutton from pause.

Now, I was able to get around most os this, by installing 19.9.2 without HDMI and then 19.1.1 on top WITH HDMI. Sadly, the people replying here are all saying this trick didn't work for them.

You should really give yourself 10-15 minutes and read the whole thread.

I can only confirm what the OP said did work fine. Since reading this thread from the beginning, I have bought the same motherboard and a Ryzen 3600 and I already had a RX 580. This combination is working just great. I am hooked to a Samsung TV and Acer Monitor both 1080p 60hz. Zero issue with any of it. Knowing this is not the only thread I have read still complaining of these sound issues with the Navi cards I can only logically conclude something is broken in the driver and hopefully not really broken in hardware somehow. All I can say is all those with issues regardless of how they feel about AMD support and their handling of the issue need to just keep reporting the problem to them for every driver that does not fix the issue or acknowledge the issue as a know problem in the release notes. If you can still return your cards that is an option if not you have every right to demand an RMA under warranty from your card makers support dept. If you do that and it fixes it, report back and we will know if maybe we just have some bad cards out there vs just a bad driver software issue. I feel for all of you with this problem. It has to be very aggravating. 

0 Likes

Hi Pokester.

"I can only confirm what the OP said did work fine. " - Can you elaborate a bit further on this. What did OP say and what worked fine?

Oh you mean his RX580 worked fine?

Yes, I still have my RX580 too, it's sitting on my desk right now but I don't have these issues with it either, only with the RX5700XT.

Yes that is exactly what I mean. That it is fine for me too with an RX 580. I don't have a Navi so I can't test it, but I don't see how the issue can be anything but a Navi related one just a question of hardware or software based issue with Navi. 

0 Likes

Again, I'm not saying there isn't a problem - I'm simply trying to replicate some of the issues (yes I've read the whole thread). With or without my specific AVR I've had zero issues. There's a "but" though, so there is definitely a problem, not just with Navi.

So in 6 hours of playing, I added a second HDMI panel to the mix which was running Spotify in the background, and XSplit, while on the main monitor I had GRB, BL3 running - everything fine. Alt tabbing out of the game (unless it's running in fullscreen mode) wouldn't cause any audio issues.

Now here's the "but". The game runs fine, audio (spotify + game) also fine, but I did notice that there was camera lag as soon as I focused on the game. If I alt+tab out, then the camera in Xsplit is fine again. In the past I resolved this by setting priority to my background apps (Via Windows' Advanced Performance Settings), but that did not resolve the issue this time. For what it's worth, I've been having these issues since the recent (Jul/Aug/Sep) Windows 1903 updates which also coincides with a lot of these issues.

So still looking for this issue as these problems (not just mine) might be related to hardware acceleration, and other prioritization which has been a problem with certain apps. Also thank you taurea for posting this detailed replication - this helps.

0 Likes

have you tried running games without xsplit? 

I can confirm the issue with about 10 games now, and cant even play world of warships    without being booted out to windows or system crash.

happens mainly when I get to cut scenes in games as most cutscenes drop to about 30FPS as its video not gameplay.

then the stuttering gets real bad as the GPU drops because its video and not gameplay.

if you have xsplit running and are streaming your likely not to see the issue as xsplit uses GPU which may be stopping it from dropping in such a sharp way that would normally cause the stuttering

0 Likes

The behavior is the same with or without XSplit and XSplit by default is set to use the CPU. Myself and others are not able to replicate this issue (yet) sadly.

People could try to turn off HDCP from within Radeon Settings as a test. Mine is turned off and still no issues with audio. Also, I'm on the most current Windows 10 1903, AMD Chipset drivers, and 19.9.3.

I'll have to find some crappy non-HDMI 2.1 cables - maybe those are the issue. No clue, just grasping at anything really since I'm not able to replicate the sound specific issue.

0 Likes

Oh and by the way @whiskey-foxtrot  -  I'm still on 1809 version of Windows, so your 1903 theory is also a no-go ..

0 Likes

Yeah, their support feels like: "It works on my machine so..."

Not to mention that they told me they would forward the ticket to the dev team and then immediately closed my ticket. No other reply or whatsoever.

0 Likes

they are useless. they wouldn't know what support was even if they had crutches 

0 Likes
whiskey-foxtrot
Forerunner

OP: Which AVR are you using? I'm trying to reproduce this and not seeing this on my Sony STR-DN1080.

0 Likes
nox24
Adept I

Hi all!

I'm back from some testing, and help from AMD Support.
So basically I don't know whats going on, but for now for me the older driver works fine,
I will give you instructions what I've got from support:

"To be on the safer side, I request you to please create 
System Restore point before performing any troubleshooting steps.

·         Step 1 – Please use Official Display Driver Uninstaller DDU Download  (Display Driver Uninstaller) by launching it in Safe mode and uninstall the previous driver. It will help you completely uninstall AMD graphics card drivers and packages from your system, without leaving leftovers behind.

·         Step 2 – then restart your computer again and enter into the normal windows mode.

·         Step 3 - install all the critical and recommended updates from Windows. (make sure windows is not installing the display driver)"

Ok now STEP 4 (driver 19.7.5):
download https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-19-7-5
and install it.

For me it helped I haven't tested it much I think it can generate other issues or something but the sound stutter is gone!

The question is: Will it be enough to install only hdmi driver from 19.7.5 or does it have to be the display driver too? Else you coud use HDMI Driver from 19.7.5 and the lastest display driver.

Also you might have to check if DDU uninstalls HDMI Driver by default in options.

0 Likes
xbl
Adept II

well one thing is for sure, its a driver issue (now 100% confirmed by this)

0 Likes

Well of course it is. That has preety much been the conclusion from the start.

Like OP stated and as are my results as well, I can throw my RX580 back into my system and run the exact same setup without any issues at all. But when I put the RX5700XT in, the audio stuttering comes right back.

The thing I'd be uncertain of is if it was a hardware issue, but as others are seeing this too, it's not just me and it's not a defective Graphics card and therefore has to a software issue.

@whiskey-foxtrot -  This also pretty much confirms that it has nothing to do with potentially bad quality HDMI cables. Why else, would this work flawlessly with my RX580?

@element22  - This is somewhat like what I did.. I installed 19.9.2 without HD audio and 19.1.1 with HDMI on top.

Quick rundown of my findings, using RX5700XT: 

1. Only using 19.9.2 with HD audio also installed --> I could not play either music or audio over HDMI no matter if I had anything running on my main monitor or not. Both audio and video would stutter and lag. If I booted up a game on my main monitor, the 2'nd monitor (TV) over HDMI would end up freezing completely until I exited the game. Dual monitor setup was just simply not possible to do in any way.

2. using 19.9.2 (no HD audio) with 19.1.1 (with HD audio) on top.. With this little trick I am able to play audio and video on my TV(2'nd monitor), with limited audio stuttering and video seems to run without issues.

BUT .... If I load a game on my main monitor, the audio will stutter/cut-out over HDMI..

And if I set my default audio output to my TV (so the sound goes to my receiver over HDMI) and load up a game on my main monitor, the audio will cut out again and sometimes very vert badly.

Sooo, I can do either, or, using example no. 2, NOT both, which is quite annoying, to say the least, but so much better than example no. 1, which means I cannot use a TV as 2'n monitor at all.

And I want be be extremely clear about this once more, the RX580 does NOT have these issues. I can do BOTH at the same time,

So yeah, definitely a driver issue! No question.

And no, 19.9.3 does not fix it either....