animeangel
Adept I

RX5700 and HDMI sound problem

Ryzen 5 2600x 

msi b450 tomahawk latest bios

kingston predator 3200 cl  16-18-18-36

Windows 10 up to date. 

I connect VGA to AVR via HDMI.

The problem is the sound from RX5700 is not smooth. It often jerky or sometime, the sound disappear.  I need to mute it from taskbar and open again then the sound will come back. But the problem will happen again and again.   

Updated driver cannot solve this problem. 

And my old RX580X do not have this problem. 

Any advice please? 

715 Replies

How could you do that? On my machine, the stereo is selected but the 5.1 and 7.1 are greyed out so I cannot select =(

I right-click on the sound icon on the taskbar -> spacial sound -> and options are there.

0 Likes
raspberrypi68
Journeyman III

To get my PC back I uninstalled Adrenaline Rush 2019 software. Used IObit Driver Booster to get 8/8/2019 driver installed (Windows didn't recognize RX580 card or Denon receiver on fresh boot).

Now I can watch Youtube, Netflix with surround sound.

Running Heaven Benchmark the sound starts clipping again so under heavy load this is not a fix for gaming but basic 1080p streaming works.

I know this is for 5700 cards but having the same issue with the 580 card.

Sound disappears/clips (high loud tone) with the AMD Adrenaline Rush 2019 driver installed.

Maybe this will help with those without onboard CPU graphics and/or TV displays who need to just have the basics until the issue is solved.

Specs:

Central Processor

Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU G3258 @ 3.20GHz

Graphics Video Adapter

Radeon RX 580 Series Video Memory 4.0 GB

Monitor

AOC G1 C27G1

Screen Resolution 1920 x 1080 (60hz up to 144hz)

Total Memory

7.9 GB Free Memory 3.5 GB

Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OS Version 10.0.18362

Microsoft DirectX Version DirectX 12 OpenGL Version 10.0.18362.329 (WinBuild.160101.0800)

Central Processor CPU Name Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU G3258 @ 3.20GHz

Motherboard Model Z97-AR Manufacturer ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.

BIOS Date: 04/18/18 18:36:07 Ver: 35.03 SMBIOS Version 3503 BIOS Date 4/18/2018

Display Video Adapter Name

Radeon RX 580 Series Video Processor AMD Radeon Graphics Processor (0x67DF) Manufacturer Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.

Video Architecture VGA DAC Type Internal DAC(400MHz) Memory Size 4.0 GB Memory Type Unknown Video Mode 1920 x 1080 x 4294967296 colors Current Refresh Rate 59 Hz Driver Version 26.20.13001.29010 Driver Date 8/8/2019

0 Likes
kasferatu
Adept II

Well hit a total dead end with tech support:

Thank you for the response.

I understand your concern,

In order to the check the issue, whether this issue is related to GPU, it is mandatory to check  your GPU with other good known system,

I request you to try to take help from your neighbors, or friends  or any  local service centers .

And check the issue status.

Thanks for contacting AMD.

Tried practically everything else suggested here and no luck.  Given all the mentions of LG here I think I'm going to try and dig out an old Sony TV from the garage tomorrow and see if the problem persists with that.

Seriously regret not just spending an extra £100 on a 2070 Super.

0 Likes

They sent the same to me and i said you can have your shitty card back and test it yourself. I paid for what should be a working product. Im not your alpha tester and i dont have another pc or time even if i did to piss around switching and downloading software and hardware.

How they can say its mandatory is a joke.

Is it too late for you to exchange the card for something else?

0 Likes

Nope i got 30 days only on day 9 or 10

Then feel free to give it some time if you choose but I would return it before you can't if a solution doesn't present itself in that time. I was very sorry I hung on to a card thinking a fix would come a year and a half ago. I ended up with another and it works fine but that card is sitting unused on a shelf. Don't get stuck. The card should work out of the box at defaults. If it does not it is the very definition of defective.

0 Likes

Sadly for me it is too late

0 Likes

its a bit sad to read something like this. From what i've seen the whole sound connection seems to be interrupted from time to time, on my AVR i could see sound has been interrupted, the video seems fine nonetheless, maybe they should look into the establishment of the connection in itself. As i said farther above the 5.1 connection works flawlessly. Somethings a miss here. 

My Cousin uses an RX470 without any of this annoying issues.

Even with an unusual solve of the problem im also kinda a the point where i should've just stayed with NVidia, even tho there were no bad reports on AMD driver at the last gen. I dont even know where they missed out, i mean HDMI audio output is standard for modern PC user.

0 Likes

Seriously they said that? AMD support is a joke, it's no wonder the cards are cheaper there is no support whatsoever. 

I bought it on release day as well and seeing the support I am stuck with it does not matter how good the product is this is my last piece of AMD hardware.

0 Likes
vmota
Adept III

I would suggest taking this thread to r/AMD it seems to affect quite a lot of people and maybe there it will have more exposure so they will maybe think about fixing this

0 Likes
kasferatu
Adept II

Ok I'm totally flummoxed now. I tried the PC out on a Sony TV and it works absolutely fine. I've tried a different PC on my LG TV and it works absolutely fine.  But the 5700xt PC with the LG TV does not work.  Now there are differences, for example the Sony TV is not HDR, but I've tried disabling HDR when connecting to the LG TV and it still doesn't work.  Some kind of compatibility issue?

At this point I've no hope this will ever be solved.

0 Likes

As said before, it`s not only LG. I have a PANASONIC-TV and same Problem

0 Likes

Sorry I wasn't trying to say it's LG only. But it certainly isn't a problem on my Sony TV so there's something to do with both the graphics card and specific TVs

0 Likes

I would doubt it is just LG either, but there is no doubt there are far more LG users complaining about issues in these forums that any other specific maker. All saying the same things that prior AMD cards had worked fine and that Navi does not. I have yet to see anyone come up with a real fix.

0 Likes

There have been numerous complaints with the cards specifically with LG monitors and TV's. Report the issue to AMD: https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form 

0 Likes
nin
Adept II

Hey its me again,

just wanted to make sure we are all on the same page for this Problem, some said they didnt installed the newest audio driver within the setup, but what exactly was showing inside the Windows Sound Setup?

i noticed, even without installing the driver package for sound there was an old driver presaved (dated 2017)

i had to remove this completly in the "advanced settings" "Einstellungen ändern"

pastedImage_1.png

now only the 

pastedImage_2.png

is now only showing, but the Problem still persists (not as heavy but still there), does this mean not the AMD driver ist faulty, but something else is? Maybe a broken GC, problems inside the GC Bios? Windows? 

im running a MSI 5700 XT 8G (Base Model with blower style) on a X570 Carbon Pro Wifi with all updates possible installed.

Maybe we can get a clearer picture of the problem this way

What are your thoughts? 

0 Likes
taurea
Elite

Possible solution found.

Hi everyone.

I've had my fill with this issue and I may have found a solution that actually works at an acceptable level.

I run my main monitor using Display Port cable.

My TV is using HDMI goin through a Yamaha receiver and from there to my TV, like most of you guys, I had 0,5 seconds of audio drops quite often, sometimes up to 30-40% of playback duration.

It's obvious to say that it was quite unwatchable.

I read earlier in this thread, someone trying to install and use a different HDMI driver and that got me thinking of a similar issue I had with my RX 580 using an older driver. At one point, AMD made en update that broke it for me and I waited for over a year for them to fix it and in the meantime I simply stopped updating me drivers for that year.

Old driver + working is much better then New driver + broken.

I just wanted to go back to an old 17 or 18 driver, but they don't actually support Navi, so yeah. Problem.

So, this is what I did:

1. Uninstall current driver. (I didn't use DDU or anything fancy, just simply remove and reboot)

2. Download and start the 19.9.2 adrenalin driver installation.

3. Make sure you choose the userdefined installation and not just default, make sure to uncheck and NOT install the HDMI driver.

4. Finish installation and reboot.

5. Download and start the 19.1.1 adrenalin driver installation.

6. Run a user defined installation again and make sure to only check and install the Display-driver and the HDMI-driver (you can't uncheck the display driver, but it will not override a newer driver anyway, so it makes no difference, what we need is the HDMI driver).

7. Finish and reboot.

Alright, this worked for me, I put on a media on my TV and HDMI ran fine. I even loaded Rise of the Tomb Raider on my main monitor at the same time, because this is where I had most problems where audio and even the video would start to stutter and lag and get worse and worse and sometimes stop completely and crash.

Now, it ran for 40+ minutes, fine.

Note how I use "fine" and not "Perfect".. I still get an audio 0,5 second cutout every now and then, but it's something like once every 5-7 minutes at most. and this was still while running RotTR at the same time.

For now, I'm happy. I would LOVE to see AMD acknowledge this issue and fix it.

This is not a permanent solution and who's to say that the next driver release will play well with this workaround.

Either way, try it out fellas. It may just work for You as well.

Cheers,

Taurea.

I also did this before and thought it was fixed. After a while audio stops for 0,5 sec. again. This is NOT a fix for me.

I use AMD graphic cards since 1998. I Like the UI, I like performance / price. I like Mantle/Vulkan and TrueAudio. But if I can`t use it to watch a simple video via HDMI on TV WITH SOUND WHICHT DOESN`T CUT OFF, well *.*. I`ll switch to nvidia card which I really hate. But it works at last!

0 Likes

Dangs  I'm sorry this didn't work for you. You said you thought it was fixed, but still no ? How long did it take for the issue to turn back up on your system?

I only got to test for those odd 40'ish minutes on my rig last night, before I had to get some sleep before work. If that be the case, it may just show its ugly face on my system again too.

I'll test some more and report back.

Before this 5700XT  I had a RX580 for about a year and a half, I think, and this too had some issues at first, but those all got fixed eventually and has run flawless for (on top of my head) at least a year.

I cannot live with my TV/receiver not working, I'm OCD like that. If it comes down to it, I'll throw my RX 580 back into my system and put the 5700XT on a shelve till drivers get fixed.

0 Likes

Hi, I haven't yet but I am using that old version altogether since it has way fewer dropouts. And since I am playing old games I don't lose out on much besides a crash here and there...

I still get horrible issues on Spotify.

0 Likes

Is the version 19.1.1 you mention correct? I thought you were referring to the 19.7.1 which is the first one available for the new 5700 series. In any case, I just tried your method with latest + 19.1.1 for the HDMI part and no improvement whatsoever, I get no sound at all. If anything I get just a beep here and there. So depressing...

Glad it worked for you tho

0 Likes

I've had luck with 19.1.1 HDMI, yes, but only in some scenarios as it turns out.

Just last night, I played some Gears 5 and I changes my audio out to my receiver, so I had the game's sound running to my home cinema system and the video still through my main monitor.

Sad to say all the same issues were back, my trick no longer worked for these settings.

I can still do media playback over HDMI (receiver+TV) just fine with no audio cutout or video lag, but the Gears 5 thing was a no go. Sometimes it would audio stutter once every second and was completely crap to listen to.

Cutscenes in the game running 30 FPS, ran just fine, no issues at all.. But some scenes would changes to 59fps and audio cuts began.. also normal gameplay would audio-cut.. I messed around with all kinds of settings, set 60FPS lock, using vsync, sub-60 fps, above 60 FPS. all the same problem, no differences.

There is definitely still a problem there…. I'll keep trying and see if I can identify where it's coming from, but I'm no expert at this.

0 Likes
nin
Adept II

AMD is not responding to the issue at hand either with mail or on their reddit page. And to have issues with a certain type of producer is out of the question, every hdmi device doesnt do this kind of up problem unless its defective. Im done here and going back to nvidia, im done testing evaluate and testing  again, the RMA is ready and out for business.

And lets just say this is a Problem with a certain producer, how do they intend to do this? Im running at MS driver for HDMI audio and its still present. Make a new revision of the Cards? VBios? Blame the producer and say "its your problem to deal with, theres nothing wrong on our side"? 

Im done because there is no feedback, instead of just saying "well, seems like theres a defective line of cards, u should RMA it" or anything else. 

jam3d
Adept I

I am experiencing the audio cutout on a Denon Receiver, and TCL TV.  Its not the brand of TV, its the 5700xt/5700.

Thought it was the HDMI cable saturation issue, but I can reproduce it in 1080p over HDMI.

Fill out support ticket  and let AMD know you are affected by this if you want to get it on their radar for a fix. 

Filled out support ticket on Sep 6th, no reply from AMD whatsoever. 

It's not about getting a reply, its about sending a message...

All jokes aside the more people report the problem hopefully means the faster the issue is fixed.  Sounds like 19.9.2 is helping some at least. 

gemini002
Adept III

Looks like the issue is fixed now. Radeon Software 19.9.2 WHQL (Certified by Microsoft)  has fixed the issue of sound cutting in and out. 

DL here 

Download AMD Radeon Software Adrenalin 2019 | TechPowerUp 

0 Likes

U're kidding right?  that's  only a whql certification there are No Changes whatssoever (didnt read the newsflash yourself?) over the Last 19.9.2, so the Problem with the screwed Power Power saving Modes are still there... ITS a re-release with certification.

Well this update fixed my issues. Hope amd rolls out a fix for all.

Out of interest which driver did you update from?

0 Likes

I had the non WHQL 19.9.2 did a dirty install of 19.9.2 WHQL and issue is gone now.

0 Likes

Hmm... that is bloody interesting. I'll have to try that as well then.

Thank you for your reply mate.

Ps. "Dirty install", does that mean to simply install the new driver on top of the old one ?

0 Likes

yes

0 Likes

G'day mate.

I'm not convinced. I don't specifically see anything about why this whql driver should fix the audio cutout issue.

Really, really hesitant to make any changes to my current "19.9.2 (no HDMI) with 19.1.1 (incl HDMI) installet on top" -setup..

If this new driver doesn't work, there is no guarentee I'll get my workaround to play ball a second time.

Did you test this yourself? The whql version and did it work for you?

I really don't think this will change much since I had this beta just without certification but heck at this point I'll try anything. 

0 Likes

Hey Vmota

Have you tried the workaround I posted earlier in this thread?

https://community.amd.com/message/2932692?messageTarget=all&start=75&mode=comments#comment-2932283

Try it.. It worked for me and I've been able to do media playback and browser playback for several hours now, with only a very few audio cutouts here and there..

0 Likes

So the Problem ist still there.... really? Its still not the HDMI audio driver, I had the basic Microsoft installed with the problem still present. Its either the card or the stupid power saving modes which let the card run down to 7mhz up to 120mhz in video playback. And my guess the problem is at this part because the whole mess is gone when you load up he GPU so that it runs and at least 900mhz. So don't say it's a fix oder another way around. Its just like saying the house is on fire and it's fine. Its AMDs fault for not fixing it on their side. We aren't payed to do their job.

0 Likes

@Nin - Hey man.

I'm a little bit confused. It's almost like you are blaming me for something? What's this about a house on fire and all is fine? Please calm down.

I've had both the Audit cut-out and the video stuttering issues and I've managed to find a workaround, which is by no means at all, a solution, so yeah the problem is still there, I've never alleged that it wasn't.

AMD still needs to adress this and release a working driver with a working HD Audio driver.

And at that.. I manged to find a workaround by installing HD audio driver from 19.1.1 on top of 19.9.2 and it works ALOT better than before with no changes to power settings.

Power settings (or power states) may have something to do with it, but I don't know. If you have any experiences with it, why don't you try and help the rest of us and post something contructive?

No, we're not suppose to do AMD's job.. But we can absolutely help the issue along. It serves no one to simply say, "Yo bro, shat be broken, fix it or me be mad, dawg".

If we can identify where the problem is comming from, It'll make it easier for AMD to isolate and fix, and the easier it is to fix, the more likely it is to happen, that's simple human nature, lazy.

0 Likes

I am glad it worked for you, but for me is still the same... I am gonna attempt a clean install just because at this point what do I lose... But then I am reverting

0 Likes