animeangel
Adept I

RX5700 and HDMI sound problem

Ryzen 5 2600x 

msi b450 tomahawk latest bios

kingston predator 3200 cl  16-18-18-36

Windows 10 up to date. 

I connect VGA to AVR via HDMI.

The problem is the sound from RX5700 is not smooth. It often jerky or sometime, the sound disappear.  I need to mute it from taskbar and open again then the sound will come back. But the problem will happen again and again.   

Updated driver cannot solve this problem. 

And my old RX580X do not have this problem. 

Any advice please? 

715 Replies

Yeah mine is an intel CPU

It's probably because he reinstalled windows. I had to to do a reinstall for some other issues, but did not use a 3rd party AV until windows was fully updated, since windows had some antivirus problems with updates not so long ago. Also WATTMAN can cause issues. You can choose not to install it by clicking custom when installing the driver.

You use a HDMI cable for your speakers? DP carries sound just like a HDMI cable from what I understand.

To zen disable hardware acceleration in your browser and enhanced sync in wattman if it's on.

0 Likes
shobu007
Adept I

Thanks amd for dvier version Adrenalin 2019 Edition 19.9.1

I can't see a f***ing thing there written about the sound stuff but this is the s**t guys!!! for me it definitely fixed the HDMI sound.

The sound was not dropping at all for me, but it was not clear at all, always like breaking something, making the speakers crackle and noisy...

0 Likes

Nope, doesn't work for me. Audio still cuts off on my 5700xt

Didn't work for me either. 

0 Likes

The same, only thing that works somewhat steady is uninstalling audio driver. Using device manage use default Audio driver(Non AMD)

guess one alternative is to use the motherboard audio and feed that into some speakers

that or use bluetooth like i do

0 Likes

Unsurprisingly, update also has done nothing for me.  Pretty annoying.

duox7142
Adept I

Hey all,

Updated drivers changed the issue. Prior, I was having the audio crackling and overall awful sound quality. Now, my sound just periodically stops. 

I haven't reinstalled the whole PC since installing the graphics card, but ive used all clean driver reinstall tools like DDU to try and resolve this issue to no avail.

0 Likes
xbl
Adept II

same issues here sound is awful, drops in and out constantly whether im in a game or just listening to music on spotify.

games freeze and sometimes windows just restarts during games. destiny 2 and world of warships being the worst but not tried all 600+ games as I feel its gonna be the same.

I have reinstalled windows and nothing has helped.

2 support tickets sent with 1 about audio (no one has gotten back to me over the last week)

1 for game issues (since they asked for the DXdiag 3 days ago iv had no reply)

guess ill be returning the card as AMD have not still acknowledged any of the issues for anyone, the lack of care or hell even testing before release is just insane.

and to tell people they shouldn't use 3rd party devices (like what am I supposed to buy a AMD TV, MONITOR, SPEAKERS, AMP.) 

I have had the card with issues since launch, my ticket was even closed without being fixed and the best I got was "we'll look into it". If you can, return the card like the others here and swap for an RTX. 

Their concern right now is to improve performance for new games so that the card looks good on benchmarks and people buy it. They are not gonna fix this anytime soon.

0 Likes
kasferatu
Adept II

I was asked to use DDU to do a full clean install of the latest drivers but this hasn't changed anything.  It feels like they don't even realise this is not an isolated issue and there are multiple of us having it.

0 Likes

if you cannot resolve issues, try a different disk and a fresh install of windows and see if the problem is resolved

0 Likes

done that was the 3rd thing I tried. nada. and I dont recommend anyone do this. the issue is drivers and AMD failed to test. this is not a standard issue of reinstalling windows its widespread and a AMD cowboy issue, FACT

0 Likes

xbl wrote:

done that was the 3rd thing I tried. nada. and I dont recommend anyone do this. the issue is drivers and AMD failed to test. this is not a standard issue of reinstalling windows its widespread and a AMD cowboy issue, FACT

At least now it's clear that there is a hardware issue.

0 Likes

I would say it will be a waste of time since I have read similar issues on older card models with some previous drivers with audio dropout. I guess that this is a recurring bug they have.

But if you have the time and patience just go for it.

0 Likes

vmota wrote:

I would say it will be a waste of time since I have read similar issues on older card models with some previous drivers with audio dropout. I guess that this is a recurring bug they have.

But if you have the time and patience just go for it.

I do not have a large box of Radeon cards to experiment with. 

I do not use HDMI audio as my LCD does not have speakers on my 4K panel. I use DisplayPort as HDMI is not able to do HDR 4:4:4 etc.

I do have other panels that do have crappy audio. My R5 2400G seems to work.

I have a far better sounding bluetooth sound system.

0 Likes
kasferatu
Adept II

This is the latest I've got from tech support:

"If feasible I request you to check your   Radeon rx 5700xt    with another good known system and check the issue status.

Or connect the monitor directly from  the mother board and check the issue status.

Thanks for contacting AMD."

I'm not sure what to do with this to be honest. I've already told them I have a second PC connected to my TV that doesn't have the problem.

0 Likes

just say you have done it. and say its a defo a feasible driver error lol

heres my reply. barely even in english

Dear Stephen

Your service request : SR #{ticketno:[8200901270]} has been reviewed and updated.

Response and Service Request History:

Thank you for the response.

I understand your concern, I suggest you once please try for the FRTC settings using the Radeon overlay and check the issue status.

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/dh-026#faq-Adjust-FRTC-Settings-Using-Radeon-Overlay 

https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/frtc  

also once perform the AMD optimal gaming settings and check the issue status.

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/dh-012  

And I request you check the issue status by disabling Realtek drivers in the system and let me know the status.

Thanks for contacting AMD.

In order to update this service request, please respond, leaving the service request reference intact.

Best regards,

Padmanab

AMD Global Customer Care

0 Likes

and im not sure how they think FRTC is going to help the sound issue out.

0 Likes

I just don't even understand what they are asking.  I sent them details including that I have a Ryzen 3700x, so an AMD employee should know that connecting to the motherboard would do nothing since there is no integrated graphics.  Crazy.

0 Likes
xbl
Adept II

I MAY HAVE SOLVED THE ISSUE.

I changed from full range RGB 4.4.4 to YCbCr 4.2.0 

I have no stuttering music on spotify now. also changed color bit from 8 to 10 and had no effect, if a few more of you could try this and post what happens. Screenshot (11).png

0 Likes

No luck for me, not even a beep. Which version of the drivers you have tho?

0 Likes

using the one i have been for the last 6 or 7 days that the amd tech only just today suggest i try. FML v19.9.2

its still stuttering in cutscenes on borderlands 3 but it could be borderlands issue so gonna try more games later. 

but the fact i can listen to music on spotify is a joy to my ears.

0 Likes

From my understanding, what the cause of the issue can be is bandwidth saturation. If you're pushing 4K 60hz RGB444 and surround sound, you're maxing out. By doing what you did with YCbCr 4.2.0, you reduced bandwidth. This isn't ideal because text on the screen with have some artifacts now. Video games less impacted, and shows should have no impact. Rtings does a good write-up on it. Chroma Subsampling: 4:4:4 vs 4:2:2 vs 4:2:0 - RTINGS.com 

That's a bit of a hack to get it fixed, because if your TV/receiver supports RGB444 and surround otherwise, its something wrong with the graphics card driver. My RX480 handled 4k 60fps RGB444 and surround sound no problem, so why the many times faster RX5700 can't do the same is beyond me, likely a driver shortcoming. Hopefully a permanent solution comes with driver updates.

I agree 100% but its a temporary fix so i can play some games whilst they sort these drivers out. We all know its driver issues. But amd dont seem to know anything or are not saying at least. 

My old rx 570 8gb ran perfectly on my pc and tv. It struggled with 4k obviously but it managed fine with full rgb 1440p 30fps ish depending on the game. 

Hopefully it gets fixed soon either way. 

0 Likes

Thanks for the info, I will try again and at the same time lowering the resolution/refresh rate.

0 Likes

duox7142 wrote:

From my understanding, what the cause of the issue can be is bandwidth saturation. If you're pushing 4K 60hz RGB444 and surround sound, you're maxing out. By doing what you did with YCbCr 4.2.0, you reduced bandwidth. This isn't ideal because text on the screen with have some artifacts now. Video games less impacted, and shows should have no impact. Rtings does a good write-up on it. Chroma Subsampling: 4:4:4 vs 4:2:2 vs 4:2:0 - RTINGS.com 

That's a bit of a hack to get it fixed, because if your TV/receiver supports RGB444 and surround otherwise, its something wrong with the graphics card driver. My RX480 handled 4k 60fps RGB444 and surround sound no problem, so why the many times faster RX5700 can't do the same is beyond me, likely a driver shortcoming. Hopefully a permanent solution comes with driver updates.

what LCD are you using

I have an LG 27UL500 which is HDR compatible with Windows 10 etc.

mine is LG SK8000PLB

0 Likes

I have an LG SK8500PJA, interestingly enough we seem to all have LG's...

In any case, my PS4 is able to pass audio through HDMI on the same port so it is definitely the card fault.

0 Likes

its because LG has the best response time when it comes to TVs and monitors, unless you can afford a assus monitor,

but yes my xbox is fine as well and so was my old rx570 8gb card. 

0 Likes

vmota wrote:

I have an LG SK8500PJA, interestingly enough we seem to all have LG's...

In any case, my PS4 is able to pass audio through HDMI on the same port so it is definitely the card fault.

I use Bluetooth audio which does me fine.

0 Likes

Can you pass Bluetooth audio to the smart TV using the HDMI channel for the picture? I tried looking through the settings but saw nothing of the sorts.

0 Likes

Interestingly I'm also hooked up to an LG device, and a user I found on another forum also was having this problem with an LG TV.

0 Likes

It`s not only LG. I have a PANASONIC-TV and same Problem

0 Likes

element22 wrote:

It`s not only LG. I have a PANASONIC-TV and same Problem

I like my panel as it has the color quality I want from IPS with full deep color (HDR) support

who does not like Chroma 4:4:4

0 Likes
nin
Adept II

Had the same problem -> audio failing randomly for .5 to 1sec in either browser, spotify or games, tried changing my setup from GC -> AVR -> TV to GC -> TV, different cables etc. with no change. Now i changed the output in the audio settings from Stereo to 5.1 and i had no issue in around 5hours of playback were it was stuttering every few seconds, i dont know why or for what reason but can somebody try this at home at answer on my post?

I would be nice if it helps other people!

PS: im from germany, i registered only to post my findings here, the english might not be 100% correct

0 Likes

I don't have an AVR, so when connecting directly to TV I don't have the option to switch from Stereo to 5.1

0 Likes

Hey the english is great by the way.

Did you change the setting from 5.1 to stereo on pc or the tv itself?

0 Likes

Hey, i changed it in windows itself, tv doesnt need to be changed.

0 Likes