animeangel
Adept I

RX5700 and HDMI sound problem

Ryzen 5 2600x 

msi b450 tomahawk latest bios

kingston predator 3200 cl  16-18-18-36

Windows 10 up to date. 

I connect VGA to AVR via HDMI.

The problem is the sound from RX5700 is not smooth. It often jerky or sometime, the sound disappear.  I need to mute it from taskbar and open again then the sound will come back. But the problem will happen again and again.   

Updated driver cannot solve this problem. 

And my old RX580X do not have this problem. 

Any advice please? 

715 Replies
vmota
Adept III

I have the same or similar issue. 

Connecting my TV through HDMI (4k/2k/1080p does not matter) the sound is not stable with lots of interruptions or no sound at all. 

Display port seems to transmit sound properly to a different monitor though (don't have display port on the tv to test). Trying different cables no luck, latest drivers as well with a clean install. 

My graphics card is the 5700 XT.

coltluger
Journeyman III

Having sound issues as well, just after installing my 5700 XT, DDU'd the drivers, tried rolling back and forth, problem persists. My sound will work OK for different periods of time and then get scratchy/shrill sounding. If I switch from 5.1 to stereo it will work for awhile then get bad again, if I switch back to 5.1 it will work for a period and so on.  I did go into the BIOS and disable HD audio control and the sound has been good for about 4 hours, not sure if it's fixed but it's the longest stretch of uninterrupted sound I've had since installing the new card.

ASUS B450-F

Ryzen 7 3700X

RX 5700 XT

animeangel
Adept I

Thanks for the advice. 

I have tried to disable HD Audio control in bios but not work for me. 

I guess I need to wait for new driver.  

0 Likes
gemini002
Adept III

I have the same issue with ryzen 3000 and radeon VII

0 Likes
faud
Adept I

I have a similar problem with 5700XT with latest drivers/clean install. I have the card outputting to a receiver via HDMI, then to my monitor. The audio randomly cuts in and out, with video being ok.

Other things such as Xbone's and other devices plugged into the same AV receiver do not have the issue...this audio dropout just limited to the AMD 5700.

I was told by AMD... 'We always recommend using the native connection to the output devices also we cannot comment on the performance if it was connected by any third-party device like receivers.'

They do realize that this isn't an uncommon setup and all monitors/connections are 3rd party, don't they?

animeangel
Adept I

Well , if I really cannot use HDMI with AVR, then I think I have no choice but say goodbye to this series. 

0 Likes
faud
Adept I

There is no reason why we shouldn't be able to. I was using Nvidia cards running through Denon AVR's for years (10+years) in the exact same setup (PC to AVR to Monitor/TV) without a single issue.

It strikes me as a decoding/audio buffer issue on the AMD side of things. There are a load of home theater users who will use AMD cards with a Media PC's outputting to their AVR via HDMI, so this issue won't go away.

I have also tried using DisplayPort out of the 5700XT to HDMI in of the AVR, and it has the same dropout issue.

faud
Adept I

I think I "may" have found a possible workaround. Audio hasn't dropped via AVR for the last 10minutes, whereby it did quickly before.

Try this;

- Uninstall the AMD Adrenaline properly with DDU

- Restart

- Install the AMD 19.7.4, but make sure you select 'Custom Install'
- De-select installing 'AMD HD Audio Driver' (i.e. don't install it) but select other options

- Finish install and re-boot
- Confirm the AMD HD Audio Driver isn't installed by going to 'Add/Remove Programs' and search by 'AMD'

- Click 'Modify'
- You should not see 'AMD HD Audio Driver' in that list
- Now try using your HDMI Output via sound settings (It will still appear as a AMD High Definition Audio Device)
- See if that works

Thanks for the proposed workaround but I have tried this one before (differently) but the result should have been the same, it did not work for me although sound output was slightly more stable.

What I did was going on device manager and uninstall AMD HD Audio Driver for the device and install different ones from the list of available, I even tried all the versions that showed up on the listing including the windows (default) one. But none of them seemed to have work for me.

In any case, I will try your method because I really want sound through HDMI

But lesson learned... When you cheap out on 50 bucks and don't get an Nvidia this is what you get I guess

0 Likes

As an update. Its better, but definitely not fixed for me.

Yeah, no luck on my side as well

0 Likes

I have done this and audio is better. It still cuts out from time to time.

0 Likes
animeangel
Adept I

Thanks for the advice. 

I will try your solution when I back home. 

0 Likes
faud
Adept I

Has anyone tried the 19.8.1 update? If so, did it resolve the issue?

0 Likes

Not for me... Somehow it makes it even worse with no sound at all. Also tried a clean install.

I don't think they have acknowledged this issue yet.
0 Likes

That's a shame...I hope they address this. Do you have a support ticket open too?

0 Likes

I installed the 19.8.1 and once i restart i get bluescreen and Atikmdag.sys error

0 Likes

Stay out of this update it is BSOD to me all the time. Completely breaks Steam's big picture mode.

What a mess, it seems like we are the QA team... I only wish I was still on time to return mine

0 Likes

They only updated display driver but audio driver always 10.0.1.12.  I am not sure when they will take a look on this issue. I bought this card for a month but could not use it until now. Fortunately I still have my old card to replace. Really hope they will solve it soon.   

0 Likes
t3dx
Journeyman III

I have the Sapphire 5700 xt Pulse and also have sound issues. I connected the HDMI cable directly to my LG OLED 55" TV, i don't use a receiver. i have tried different drivers but nothing fixed the issue. i also can't select 10bpc with the 19.8.1 driver, but with the old 19.7.5 hdr works . I had like 20 crashes in Wolfenstein so far and i'm level 28. i will return the card and buy it again when they fix the issue. 

spiritreaver
Adept I

I just got my Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse and am having the same audio issues here through HDMI. No receiver used. The audio drops out randomly whether I'm in a game or listening to music.

0 Likes

Everyone one of you with this issue needs to report it to AMD please: Support Ticket Process | AMD 

The more support questions they get they then know it is a wide spread issues and it will get quicker attention.

Have a support ticket already, they said they would forward it to the respective team. I encourage everyone to do the same since they haven't even put this on the known issues.

I have a support ticket put into both AMD and Sapphire (since I have the Sapphire Pulse version). I sent AMD a link to this thread as well.

I hope they can get this fixed soon as outside of this issue my card works perfectly. It's just this issue is a MAJOR issue.

0 Likes
faud
Adept I

I just purchased a top of the line, 2019 model home theater receiver...same issue exists. Just awesome.

I have a support ticket in but they aren't responding.

0 Likes
faud
Adept I

AMD 5700XT taken back to shop, they marked it as a DOA. Swapped it for an Nvidia RTX 2070 Super....0 problems now in the exact same setup.

Bye bye AMD...you lost a new customer for life with your poor support and acknowledgement of issues.

Same here, returned and got a great deal on a Zotac 2070 AMP Extreme, zero issues, runs like a top.

probably the best choice! Had a nice(not really) call with AMD today they asked for a 4th DxDiag report and other stuff i already send them in. I only went "well, either you dont to accept reality that some of us are having problems or you guys just dont want to help your customers, your crap card is back at the store reported as DOA" shortly after he started to get annoyed and angry and before the situation got out of hand i hung up.

Now staying with my "old" gtx 1070 until the RTX are going to drop in prices.

shobu007
Adept I

I do have RX 5700 XT GPU and I can confirm I have the same problem, the sound is trying to break my monitor speakers with so much bass, I tried to cut off the frequency above 200hz this helped a little, but the sound is not smooth or clear in any way....

Without installing adrenalin the sound is perfect, but with or without the AMD HD SOUND driver, the sound is crappy...

I just raised a ticket to support...

farns
Adept I

idk if it's related but my monitor prefers a display cable port over a hdmi connection. hdmi 60hz Display port 144hz.

0 Likes

Farns, are you running DP for your monitor but using HDMI for audio?

With the build I'm considering, I need DP for the 144hz to the monitor, but I'll need HDMI putting audio to the reciever at the same time.

0 Likes

I'm using DP for my monitor, it carries audio also. But I use separate speakers for my audio with a microphone jack type cable. I can use either my monitor through the DP or my side speakers.

0 Likes
vmota
Adept III

A new driver is out but doesn't fix s*** for me... Let me know if you had better luck

faud
Adept I

To re-iterate...if you can, return your card to the shop and see if they can mark it as a D.O.A.

0 HDMI audio issues with the Nvidia Super/RTX series since getting rid of the 5700XT.

You're right... I just checked and my ticket was marked as closed without even giving me an update if the issue was verified or whatever.

I was avoiding because I got it on Amazon and have to ship it somewhere but I guess that's better to go through that than sitting around waiting for them to provide decent customer service.

kasferatu
Adept II

I'm another having this issue.  Tried multiple cables and also don't have the problem on my older PC running a GTX970.  Just this RX5700XT.  Sound just intermittently stops and starts whilst playing a game or listening to Spotify.  It's disappointing if AMD will not acknowledge this and our only resort is to swap the graphics card for something else.

spiritreaver
Adept I

So I'm reading on other forums with people with similar audio dropout issues that forcing the pcie slot to run at 3.0/GEN3 (instead of "Auto") in bios helped a bunch of people.

I tried this in mine and it didn't work, so YMMV. Though I'm running a very old mobo and only have 2.0/GEN2. I'll be upgrading to Zen2 next week so I'll have to see if it fixed it for me. If not I'm going to return this card.

spiritreaver wrote:

So I'm reading on other forums with people with similar audio dropout issues that forcing the pcie slot to run at 3.0/GEN3 (instead of "Auto") in bios helped a bunch of people.

I tried this in mine and it didn't work, so YMMV. Though I'm running a very old mobo and only have 2.0/GEN2. I'll be upgrading to Zen2 next week so I'll have to see if it fixed it for me. If not I'm going to return this card.

I abandoned HDMI audio for bluetooth a long time ago. This allows me to have a better experience.

I live in an apartment building so I use my Skullcandy headphones which means I can play games all day and nobody cares

0 Likes
animeangel
Adept I

I found some comment on internet that he found this sould via hdim problem on his AMD set but when he changed his card to Intel set instead, anything is fine... 

Is it true? Anyone of you guys with this problem using Intel?