cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

oryx_crake
Journeyman III

RX550 fan is not spinning

Yesterday my system shut off because a box was blocking the PSU exhaust, so it overheated. I took the side off and let everything cool down, and got some big wads of dust out of the bottom of the case.  Now my GPU fan won't run. Radeon software shows 0 RPM, and a visual check shows that it's not moving.  Nothing on the card looks burned or broken. I uninstalled and reinstalled the software, took the card out and put it back in twice, still not working.   This is a pre-built low end "gaming" desktop. I don't overclock or use any manual tuning.   Does this mean that the fan is just toast and I need to get a new one? The card works fine, except if I do any gaming it heats up to 90 degrees within minutes.

HP Pavilion Power 580-125rz

0 Likes
4 Replies
fyrel
Miniboss

It does sound like the fan is gone.

It should be easy enough to replace the fan if you know the maker of the card.

0 Likes

Oy that's what I was afraid of. Guess I'll have go without a computer for a

while. No money to get a replacement. The card is from OEM (HP) because this is a prebuilt computer, so I can't get a replacement fan from them.

0 Likes

You will be fine using the computer without the fan working for general web browsing watching videos etc.

But gaming is likely to cause it to shut down.

You can't damage a GPU by overheating, it will just downclock then shutdown to save itself.

0 Likes

This is so good to know! Ty!

0 Likes