cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics

raysheri
Journeyman III

Re: Rx480 random black screen while gaming

I've found that the 16.8.3 driver has eliminated all black screen problem for me. I did however update my Microsoft Visual C ++ Redistributable (x86) before I installed it. I don't know if that made a difference.

I also run my card with +10% power and at stock clocks, which is oc out of the box @ 1338mhz. During gameplay it sits solid on that speed.

The max power usage (according to GPUZ) is around 115w.

0 Kudos
mikekoz
Adept I

I just got a XFS Radeon RX480 and am having the same problem. I have tried three different driver versions with no change. I am also getting the Wattman error every time Windows loads, but cannot find any utility on my computer called Wattman. Is it just integrated into the driver? It does not seem to matter what game I play, but Doom (2016) does not even load, and that is the main reason I got the card. Well, that, and my GTX580 was damaged by a power surge! I always buy Nvidia cards, but this card got good reviews and I decided to try a change of pace. Never had a problem with Nvidia cards. I am going to try to resolve this over the next few days, but I am not going to waste too much time on it. here is my system specs:

Intel Xeon 2.84 GHZ , dual processors

24 GB Ram

800w PSU

4 hard drives, 500G, 1TB, 340GB, and 340GB

If anybody has a solution, I am all ears! ;p)

0 Kudos
mikekoz
Adept I

Update: It is possible that a solution to my problem could have been just a little bit of documentation. I installed the original drivers that came with my card and turned on a setting called Power Efficiency. My computer is a HP xw8600 Workstation and is an older PC. Apparently the power draw on the PCI-E slot is problematic with some older motherboards. I am not sure who made the board in this desktop. I was able to play Wolfenstein The New Order with no problems. Doom 2016 opened and ran really well for about 10 minutes, then the screen went black again. I just updated to the latest drivers and have also turned on Compatibility Mode. I will see what happens!

mikekoz
Adept I

Update 2: New driver made no difference. It still black screened in Doom. Unless somebody can find me a solution to this, I am going to bring the card back and try one of the new Nvidia models. When this card works, it seems to work very well. I also need to do some more research on my system. Maybe older desktops just do not work well with these newer cards. If that is the case, I may have to look for a used one on Ebay.

warpfact0r10
Forerunner

Rest assured, plenty of Nvidia owners are having this issue too: Help: Random black screen with PC running (Windows 10 + GTX760) - windows 10 - Windows 10

mikekoz, can you start a new thread and include your full specs, including what Antivirus you are using and if your Win 10 was an upgrade installation?
INFORMATION REQUIRED WHEN POSTING A QUESTION

Thanks!

0 Kudos
mikekoz
Adept I

Thanks for your reply and thanks for the link, but that is not the problem I am having. I am also not sure why you would want me to start a new thread since the problem I am having is exactly what is in this one, but I will if need be. Sorry for leaving out this info, but I am running Windows 7, not 10. I just setup this computer with a fresh install about a week ago. I am using Bit Defender as an antivirus, but have had it disabled. My problem ONLY occurs when I am running a game.  It seems to be happening at times when the card is working its hardest. It is not my power supply as it is way over specs for the card.  Here are my full system specs:

• AMD Graphics Card
    • XFX Radeon RX480
  • Desktop or Laptop System
    • Desktop; HP xw8600 Workstation
  • Operating System
    • Windows 7 64bit
  • Driver version installed
    • Radeon Software Crimson Edition 16.9.1
  • Display Devices
    • Gateway 24" monitor using HDMI connection
  • Motherboard
    • Unknown
  • CPU/APU
    • 2X Intel Xeon E5440 running at 2.83 GHZ
  • Power Supply Unit  Make, Model & Wattage
    • Delta LPS800 LBA 800 watts
  • RAM
    • 24GB

Once again, thanks for your reply!

0 Kudos
warpfact0r10
Forerunner

Managing the cases is easier with separate threads I feel, since you don't have the pile-on of "me too!!" Linking to threads that you think are similar is cool, but sometimes people think their issue is exactly the same thing as another when it in fact isn't.

In your case, you have totally different hardware and OS than the OP.

• Did you remove all traces of Nvidia drivers in Safe Mode using DDU?
  • Do you know what BIOS you have installed?
    How old is your Win7 installation, and is Service Pack 1 installed?
  • Have you run "sfc /scannow" in an administrative-level command prompt to check for system file corruption?
  • Have you tried temporarily uninstalling Bit Defender?
  • Do you have another hard drive you can install Windows on to see if it still behaves that way with a freshly-installed OS (apply all updates first of course, Including Service Pack 1)?
  • Do you have a different monitor and display cable you might try?
  • You said your previous card was damaged in a power surge. About the only way I can figure this would happen is power travelling through the power supply or through the PCIe slot. Are you certain neither were also damaged by the surge?
  • Have you tried the card in a completely different system?
  • Also, you say that the problem only seems to occur when running a game and the card is working it's hardest, but then you also said Doom won't even launch. Perhaps you have multiple issue going on. Given you have dual processors, that XFX card is not a blower style fan IIRC (so the heat is added to your case), and that HP chassis may not have great cooling, part of your problem may be related to heat (potentially both CPU and GPU). Have you checked your temps and what do they look like while gaming?

A lengthy list of questions, I know, but hopefully they'll yield something.

0 Kudos
mikekoz
Adept I

I removed the AV app with no change. My previous card was damaged, along with a few other things in our house by a power surge during a storm. The desktop PC I am using is different desktop then the one that was hit.  I got Doom running but it is doing the same thing. I also see a few other people having the same problem, and I cannot figure out what it is. Thanks for all of your help!

0 Kudos
aviza
Journeyman III

Sapphire Nitro+OC RX480, AMD 9590.

Playing some games (Overwatch, WoW, Ark, etc)  at 1440p 60hz monitor with a video playing on a second monitor through firefox.  This happens randomly, the video will cut out on both monitors and crash firefox and my game.

No OC, default everything. HWMonitor shows 72c on GPU and 52 on CPU at the time of the crash.  I don't get a recovered message.

Would love to find out what causes this and fix it asap.

0 Kudos
kahana
Journeyman III

Has anyone found a fix to this yet? I see it hasn't been posted on in a while and was hoping to find some answers... having the problem myself and no amount of driver restoration/full reset on PC can stop this.

0 Kudos