Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics

lumby
Adept II
Adept II

Re: Rx480 random black screen while gaming

Played some legion on the 16.7.1 driver also it recovered from it's crash, im still playing anyways. Weird i hope there is a solution besides this it'll work for now

0 Kudos
raysheri
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Hi, I have a new xfx rx480 gtr black 8gb + benq zowie xl2730 freesync 144hz/1440p monitor, running on display port.

I was getting black screens mostly when using a browser(firefox), so the card would have been basically running in idle.

I used drivers 16.8.2, and 16.7.3 when this happened. Once I installed 16.7.2 drivers then the problem disappeared.

So I can only conclude that the problem lies in the last two driver releases.

0 Kudos
lumby
Adept II
Adept II

what happen to stable and beta drivers. seems like the last few ones should be beta driver labeled =P And 16.7.2 as stable

redhen256
Adept II
Adept II

I think it stems from the lack of people they have working on their drivers team. AMD Drivers have always been one of their short falls. They have a much smaller staff working on literally thousands of potential issues. With your average PC the card is interacting with thousands of different combinations of hardware and software. Its hard to believe they don't have more problems then they do.

0 Kudos
lumby
Adept II
Adept II

Testing 6.8.3 for the heck of it, as the old drivers still Bods once in a while, and the crash recovery still lock down all the programs i was using. No luck on legion in non-compatibility mode so far, trying that option on this time. Im not done troubleshooting until it's fixed here. =P Edit... Compatibility mode didn't matter really just rolling back to 6.7.1. The only road I haven't really gone down software wise i think is windows updates x.x. I rather not download all these on my mobile data tho, could get expensive very quickly I would think the only things i might need is netframework update?? Otherwise It might be power issue im gonna try swapping the 6 pin cable with another one, the cable is wonky? This PSU is 5+ years old haha.

0 Kudos
redhen256
Adept II
Adept II

So the other day I updated to 6.8.3 after DDU uninstaller and tested it. The patch notes said that they had taken care of the black screen issue. In 30 minutes it was back to black screen freeze and I had to restart. I removed 6.8.3 and went back to 6.7.1 and tried it. Now I will say 6.7.1 is not perfect and at some point during gaming the screen freezes and goes back. The main difference as to why 6.7.1 works for me is that after the screen goes black, it comes back up and windows tells me that Radeon.exe has failed. Windows then restarts Radeon.exe and I go back to doing whatever I was doing. Every other patch I have used after 6.7.1 has resulted in a black screen that windows cannot recover from. 

0 Kudos
lumby
Adept II
Adept II

I honestly think it's a hardware issue for me, I've tried all the drivers they all have the same issue for me. Even if one recovers it's still an annoyance. I swapped my powersupply with my other computer but it's the exact same make and model. The power supply swap just ruled out that it wasn't just my psu getting old.  After it black screened on 6.8.3, so I decided im gonna mess with the wattman see if i can undervolt it because neither compatibility mode or power efficient settings are cutting it enough. Looked up a basic undervolt guide for the rx480 it said it was stable at 1050 at the last 2 states (1080mv and 1118mv) so I put manual in the voltage and pluged 1050 into the last 2 power states on the wattman, restarted my computer and played legion at max settings for the rest of the night. Still only getting 34 fps in dalaran, but i guess legion is pretty demanding. Pretty sure undervolting doesn't hurt my performance at all; perhaps the card was drawing more then my psu could handle when it hit that crazy state 1118mv. If I black screen again i will post another reply.

0 Kudos
redhen256
Adept II
Adept II

No it doesn't. Personally for me, I tried undervolting and it did nothing. Just an FYI. 34 fps in dal is normal. Same for Stormwind. If you turn anti alaising off or switch it to msaa 8x then it gets much better fps wise.

0 Kudos
polyamid
Adept III
Adept III

If power is your problem, undervolting will not help you. The RX480 is a card, that is extremly limitated by its power limit. Most of the time it will not reach the maximum clock because total power draw is limited. If you undervolt the card, it will reach higher clocks but will take nearly the same power at higher clocks. So that does not do what you want.

If you want to make it draw less power, you can reduce its power limit im wattman or you can reduce the clocks.

The undervolting will help you to get a little more of performance out of this lower power limit. Also it could harm the stability. The chips are not all the same build quality. So your chip could be instable at 1,050 V while others are stable there.

0 Kudos
lumby
Adept II
Adept II

It may not even be a PSU issue, the card used to run fine with this power set up, but alot of the options seem to mess with power to the card, power efficiency, compatibility mode eg. I was mostly shooting in the dark trying to get it to not crash anymore. Undervolting it to 1050 might be working, there might even be a sweeter spot but i really don't know what im doing with it, and was just trying an old solution before they had the 6.8.1 driver with compatibility mode for the people paranoid that the card was gonna overdraw through the pci-E slot.
Im not really sure what made it start crashing to begin with, but if it's not crashing with the undervolt on I don't really want to break it again. Not sure where to go from here.

0 Kudos