Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics

colesdav
MVP

Re: Rx480 random black screen while gaming

Hi

RE: But, I believe that you should report that to AMD, they need to know and to fix.

If you mean the BF1 crashes, yes I should I guess in theory.

I could use the AMD Reporting Form, but I am not sure that they are really looked at. It does take reasonable effort to submit them
I did have one Crossfire issue (crashing when FRTC &/or Frame Pacing was on ) fixed years ago,  I do  appreciate that.

I have been using those forms for years and there is no support case number given and no way to track anything about any progress investigating the issue or any feedback on a fix. I get an email saying thanks for reporting the issue to AMD. That's it.

The alternative is to use  Email Form but that is not convenient sometimes as it can involve lots of interactive debug and sometimes I am not able to respond in time due to workload or hardware fail. I still have one case I need to respond to from months ago relating to using an Nvidia and AMD cards on same Linux PC. The machine I was testing on had some hardware problems I had to get fixed.

Sometimes I have put a reasonable amount effort into investigating aspects of features I am really interested in - one example is Hialgo - now Radeon Chill.
You can see this post here: Hialgo Software - Are the downloads safe? Will the technology go into AMD Crimson Drivers?

That was before I knew anything about AMD getting the technology - it seemed a sensible thing they should be interested in to reduce GPU power consumption versus Nvidia cards.

Radeon Chill does not work properly on any AMD cards I have tested it on since it was introduced a long time ago.
It kills keyboard only input FPS to the point it is unusable as far as I see it.
You can see that post / investigation  here:  Could AMD please add Keyboard and Mouse input Weighting sliders for for Chill in Adrenalin Driver?
It might work differently on RX580 or RX Vega - since AMD continue to promote it, claiming it does not affect in game performance.
As far as I see it - Chill is of no use to me and I use FRTC instead.
I would love to see someone prove it does work properly on an RX Vega 64 or RX580 at least.

RE: With BF1, it happens only with that game? After the driver update? Consistent or random?

Those specific errors were with BF1. Note that I was running with CPU overclocked (although it is a well tested normally stable OC). I see the error / crash with no OC on GPU's. I was running with fresh install of Adrenalin 18.7.1. It frequently crashes. I was running BF1 at the highest settings at 4K with single or multiGPU. I should remove the CPU OC and then try to repeat the crashes before reporting it. If you overclock anything you should really remove all overclock, run everything at stock settings  and then repeat the problem.

RE: I know that the thread as become kinda confusing, but people with the black screen, how and what makes it happen?
Yes it is getting confusing. I think you should maybe open a thread on your specific problem but you might get asked to close it as it repeats an existing one.

Can I ask are you running Windows 7 with Aero Desktop Theme turned on? If so I suggest you set a Windows 7 basic theme, reboot, and see if that helps with some of your games from crashing out. It seems to help with Fortnite on Windows 7.

RE: EDIT: I will still test Black Flag just to see what happens
Sure if you want to but I have already submitted an AMD Reporting form about that one and I have no time to submit Email Form​ about it, I have another one of those to respond to already about something far more important to me, AMD cards on Linux. 

Bye.

colesdav
MVP

Hi,

You can see what I found regarding Fortnite Crash with Windows 7 64 and Adrenalin 18.7.1 Driver here:
Fortnite crashes and I get "Display driver stopped responding and has recovered"

Windows Aero Desktop Setting seems to be part of the cause of the crash (turning Aero off, disables ReLive though... do it may be 'indirect effect').
Bye.

entranced
Adept II

I will try that, thanks for the advice, I did see the thread, and also the thread about Vega and black screen HBM issues, could anything be related even tho the RX 570 has GDDR5?

I will post the results with Aero off, and I will use the Asus ROG forums to see if there is anyone there that knows about this.

I'm with little time now since I'm moving and probably wont have internet for a big while, but I know that doing a report by mail is just a troubleshooting idiot mess, I'll try to be clear when I report this to AMD and ASUS by the mail support and ask to advance this to an higher grade of support because the troubleshooting and things they ask are all done already.

Thanks a lot for all the help!!!

colesdav
MVP

Hi,

Thanks, not solved your problem but maybe will get there in the end.

Bye.

dccharge
Journeyman III

Hello,

I know I'm replying to a post from 2 years ago but I just recently ran into the same problem. I was getting screen blanks and resets anywhere from 5 to 30 minutes apart using the HDMI port of my RX 480. Here's the solution that worked for me.

It seems the Radeon RX 480 is pretty sensitive to electrical interference. I had just recently purchased and installed a small freezer in the room next to the room I have my computer in. The computer and the freezer were plugged into the same circuit (as in connected to the same point in the fuse box).  It looks like whenever the compressor in the freezer started/stopped it was causing the GPU to reset the display. The weird thing is that I have a pretty hefty UPS hooked up but this noise was still getting to the GPU. Nothing else in the computer or the TV seemed to be affected. The fix was to move the freezer to the other side of the room and onto a different electrical circuit. No more screen blanking after doing this.

It actually took me awhile to isolate the problem as I had also installed a hard drive and did driver updates at the same time.

Here are some of the things I tried that helped a little with the problem but didn't resolve it. They may be enough to help somebody else.

No 1: I rearranged the power connectors in my computer. I had added the new drive into a power connector that already had a couple of drives on it. Putting the new drive on a separate connector made the screen blanking a little less drastic.

No 2: I switched over to using one of the Display Ports on the RX 480 instead of using the HDMI port. This was almost enough to clear up the problem. Instead of a screen blank I got a small screen flicker.

So if you're having the same screen blanking problem check to see if you have any large appliances plugged into the same circuit. Either move the appliance or computer. If that's not possible then check your connections inside the computer or change to using the Displayport instead of using HDMI.

I hope this helps.

0 Likes
deathcoreleo
Adept I

Change the thermal pads on the chips or pour all by the thermal paste

0 Likes
messer19
Adept I

Hi guys,

I haven't had this issue for serveral months as I was playing only low demanding games (like Diablo 1, 2) but as soon as I fired up CS GO recently the issue happened again - black screen and buzzing sound - hard reset is the only way to recover. RX470 + latest drivers used.

0 Likes
lumby
Adept II

Funny everyone it's been 2 years i've been lurking my old thread and i still haven't come up with a concrete fix for this card =P; Some days it works somedays it just crashes alot. It's not even in the same machine I started this thread with anymore. After all the drivers they pushed out nothing really fixed this issue for me. I've had the most stable wattman settings just right clicking the one of the states 4-6 and setting min and max on the same one. so it doesn't shift states at all on wattman. But regardless it always finds a reason to crash and then you lose your settings and have to reconfig them. Between the card and the drivers fighting; Im not likely buying another amd when im upgrading again soon. Not to mention the opengl support on these cards is pretty lacking. And i mostly play older opengl games to begin with. That is likely the reason i've been able to put up with this card for 2 years. Best of luck everyone Merry Christmas and Happy new year.

pokester
MVP

Normally all that is needed to make those cards stable is to do the following:

Set Power Limit to it's Maximum on an RX 480 that might be 25 or 50. Whatever just set it to it's max. I don't recommend setting custom voltage on the states. This worked in early Wattman drivers but has been unstable for nearly a year on my RX 580 and your card works about the same.

Next you need to set a custom fan profile that stops the card from throttling. Set the profile to kick on sooner with a max temp about 70.

The other fixes are to Windows itself and yes they make a huge difference:

Disable Fast Startup / Hibernation

In Windows Settings / Gaming / Disable all functions, DVR etc... I doubt you use it and it causes nothing but problems.

Now when these fixes don't make the card stable, you either have a bad power delivery issues. Such as a bad power supply or motherboard.

Since you have already had this issue travel across more than one system, assuming none of those other components came along too, like the power supply.

If you try the above advice and it does not help, they you likely just lost the silicon lottery and had a bum card all along and should have RMA'd  it.

Maybe you still can? 

I am including my current 2019 ( I really hate the new setup for fan and temp now)  driver Wattman Config and the pre 2019 to show how I set my RX 580 for stability, including the custom fan curve.

lumby
Adept II

yeah i still have a few months left on my warranty gonna see about a trade in. I've tried all these settings multiple times. It's gotta be the card. haven't ever sent a card back im not sure how long it's gonna take. the power limit never really changed anything for my card. The fan kicking in a bit sooner seems like a good idea but this card rarely gets above 50 since it crashes on any game that will stress it. I play alot of old games where it doesn't stress it much and it still crashes with barely any load. Which is why i set the min and max state to the same so it doesn't change states at all. Even helps with slightly higher end. Im not sure what the exact issue is im just swinging a bat in at spotlights here. Thanks all for trying to help out. The new wattman layout is worse I agree.