Esteemed Contributor III

Re: Rx480 random black screen while gaming

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Adept II
Adept II

Yes, all stock.

I only need to reflash my bios and then see if anything changes, but so far I changed everything from power cables to PCI slots and nothing, all the same results.

I've seen that Black Flag post, I'm gonna see if I can get the game and if so gonna try to repro that.

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor III

Thanks.

I have been away on business, just back so I will take a look at Crysis 3.

I just uploaded a video of what I saw when Assassin's Creed Black Flag crashed. I had the video on my phone for ages, and had not got around to posting it.

colesdav - AMD R9 Fury X + Adrenalin Driver - Red Screen (not caught in footage) followed by Black S...

I did not catch the initial Red Screen in the above footage.

Screen goes Red followed by Black Screen and Audio Buzz and locked up PC.
Only happens if I use above a certain Anti Aliasing level with an AMD R9 Fury X or R9 Nano.

If I swap out the AMD Cards for an Nvidia GTX 780Ti and use latest Nvidia drivers, I can run the game fine, no crash, and all AA settings work.

Bye.

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi,

Did you see this?

https://radeon.com/worldsmoststabledriver/?sf193761215=1

I originally saw it on Twitter - I did not reply to it, although the tweet left me feeling totally exasperated.
Is the test they use just unrealistic?

My experience with the AMD Adrenalin Drivers is they crash frequently, every day in fact, multiple times.
Here is just one latest example I got when running BF1 last night.

pastedImage_1.png

The AMD Driver installation process requires removal of the old driver using DDU in safe mode and a clean install, along with local group policy to prevent windows driver installation.

I own both Nvidia and AMD cards.

My experience is that the Nvidia Driver installation process and general stability is much better.

The quality of Crimson ReLive / Adrenalin Drivers has been pretty bad since Vega release in my opinion.
The Adrenalin Drivers were so unstable before last Christmas until ~ last Feb that I just stopped installing any of them and used Crimson ReLive 17.7.1.

Bye.

Adept II
Adept II

So I guess that after all I tested my hardware, and principally my graphics card, is ok, and the problems is on the drivers... I'm tired of testing and don't have much time to be swapping PCI-E power cables and PCI-E slots again, I tested primarily with Crysis 3 because the crash/black screen was 100% guaranteed, but then again, I guess that if it happened with the changes in the cables and slots, the other programs would do the same eventually, and I'm not with time to test it again all day (moving from home and other stuff).

I will try to repro that in black flag colesdav​, can you tell me exactly what settings do you have ingame that makes it crash?

Before yersterday I've run 3dmark stresstest with the test "Fire Strike Ultra Stress Test", after a time it would eventually crash or black screen.

After either, when shutting down or restarting my computer the fans on my graphics card kicked to probably 100% for about 10 seconds.

I twitted and emailed AMD, no response, I even mentioned this very topic....

About 3dmark, can anyone repro the same or in this one am I alone? The benchmarks seem to run fine, only the stress test does this, maybe again, driver incompatibility or something?

Btw, what is funny is that my laptop with one FX7500 R7 + one R7 M265 with 8gb DDR3 RAM, same 18.5.1 driver, was able to run Crysis 3 with no issues maxed out (obviously with like 7 to 14 FPS xD).... And a friend of mine with one laptop with FX9000 apu series (can't remember exactly the model now, will update later) + one RX 540, had a lot of throttle while benchmarking Unigine Heaven. Maybe the Polaris architecture is a pain? Too sensitive to heat and voltages ranges?

Journeyman III
Journeyman III

I had the same exact issue and I think I fixed it. Uninstall amd software and download a old driver- Videocards - ATI Catalyst Windows 7 | 8 | 10

I recommend the 16.11.5 download, no relive or adrenaline stuff. No more black screens for me.

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi,

For Assassin's Creed Black Flag - I created 3 videos at the time showing evidence for AMD that I had:

1 . Run DDU to remove AMD and any trace of old Drivers, freshly installed Adrenalin, show I was running at default settings - here:
colesdav - AMD Settings used to replicate Red Screen and Audio Buzz - Plays.tv

2. Showed that I had run a completely clean install of Assassin's Creed Black  Flag here:
colesdav - Install and set up to test for Red Screen Hang and Audio Buzz on AMD R9 Nano with AMD Adr...

3. Showed the graphics settings used here: https://plays.tv/s/LpQAG4x7yfDn

colesdav - Graphics Settings used to cause Red Screen and Audio Buzz. Fails at end of this Video whe...

To guarantee failure I  maxed everything out at 1080p.
It crashed at the end of the bridge but sometimes it takes until you get to the very end of the first stage of the game ... where the Assassin ends up fighting a number of soldiers on a beach, and then sets someone free.

On further investigation, (essentially testing every graphics setting) I found it that leaving all of the Graphics Settings as shown in the video above and then reducing the Anti Aliasing options one step at a time eventually gave me an AA setting that worked, and any setting above it caused the failure. I will go back to my original post and check which AA setting was the highest one that worked.

Bye.

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi,

I found the setting on this page GIGABYTE G1 AMD RX 480 4GB RED SCREEN

I will post a copy of the exact screenshot.

Bye.

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor III

Here is a copy of the post on page 6 of 7 of GIGABYTE G1 AMD RX 480 4GB RED SCREEN

"
For Assasin's Creed Black Flag:

This is the maximum stable graphics setting I have found for the following system.
i74790K with single R9 Nano GPU active in primary PCe 3.0x16 slot.
32GB RAM.

I ran at up to +15% OC on CPU's and R9 Nano GPU's overclocked at +5% with max fan power and temp targets.
Running latest patched versions of Windows 10 64bit as of today.
Fresh installation of Radeon Adrenalin 18.3.3 Driver.
Performance overlay running.
ReLive Recording on.
No crash at launch. No crash during game play.
Increasing AA to anything above SMAA is causing the hanging and crashing on my system at launch or during gameplay.
Perhaps someone else can look at this now, running an RX480 or an RX Vega with a different CPU Type.
I already filed an AMD Reporting form.

pastedImage_0.png

"
As you may see from the above posts I gave lots of detail on this forum, and files an AMD Reporting Form about this back in March 2018.
I tested it last week and it is still broken.

I think filing the AMD Reporting Forms is like the buttons on some pedestrian crossings. They don't actually do anything but they just make you feel better for having pressed the button. I have had no feedback about the above issue at all and seen no mention of it in the recent release notes. However, maybe no one runs that game, or maybe anyone who does has an Nvidia card.