Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics

colesdav
Esteemed Contributor III

Re: Rx480 random black screen while gaming

Hi

First of all double check if you unnstalled existing driver, in control panel, reboot into safe mode, run DDU in safe mode and reboot to install new AMD Adrenalin Driver using AMD installer that our finds at Microsoft have not installed their 'correct version' of the AMD Driver before you then install over it with the AMD Installer as described in GIGABYTE G1 AMD RX 480 4GB RED SCREEN
In recent Microsoft Updates I can no longer prevent Microsoft automatic driver installation using this:
pastedImage_1.png

The only way I found to stop it without pausing all updates is by using gpedit to change local group policy setting.

Using gpedit to do that is described here:

RE: PS: Should I try to reflash the GPU BIOS too? It is still in the warranty.
If you card is still under Warranty:

(1). File a support ticket with ASUS.
(2). Check if flashing the GPU BIOS would void the Warranty for your region.
(3). If ASUS Support tell you in writing (by email or on the support ticket) - print it to a pdf as evidence before you try it and follow their instructions but if they tell you to to flash the VBIOS from within Windows ... don't do it. Discuss with them and suggest the USB boot and flash method instead.

(4). I would only flash GPU VBIOS as an last resort before stripping cards down to repair the hardware. It can go wrong and brick your card if you have no good secondary VBIOS on the card. 
(5). You have to be very careful with flashing GPU VBIOS. Only use the boot into USB and use command line options to flash. Do not boot into Windows and run a windows program to flash. I  have seen a number of GPU's selling for parts on EBay where owner claimed such Windows based BIOS flashing went wrong.

I save this now and continue to respond in additional post.

Bye.

0 Kudos
colesdav
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi,

RE: Reflashing the motherboard BIOS and doubt it got corrupted.

There have been a number of cases where over the years where I have had to do this with my ASUS motherboards.
The situation is usually when I have been running a game, such as Crysis 2/3 or other demanding game. I get either Red Screen or Black Screen and audio buzz. System locks up. Pressing reset button on front of PC does nothing. Only way to get the PC to shut down is to press and hold the power button and do a force-shutdown - as you call it. I have an old post about this on this forum from years ago somewhere - I was running HD7970+R9 280x in Crossfire in the post at the time.

Firsts step to try is just reboot the PC and try to run Crysis 2/3 again, but I founds that Crossfire was running really badly (very low FPS) and the game was unstable and the PC crashed lots even if I turned Crossfire off.  Sometimes the fix was clean uninstall and reinstall of they AMD Drivers - as the crash + force-shutdown like this seemed to corrupt the driver install some how. Sometimes that was not enough. Next step was CMOS RESET button on the motherboard to reset the BIOS back to default. If that did not work, Motherboard BIOS re-flash was needed. Doing the the re-flash on ASUS Motherboard I have is very easy. They have a function called USB BIOS Flashback. You download the BIOS from support site. Rename it. Put it on a USB stick. Power down the PC. Switch it off, then  Power on the PC PSU switch but do not boot up the PC. Plug USB with BIOS it into a special USB port on the back panel of the motherboard.Press a BIOS Flashback button for 3 seconds. The light on the button flashes until the BIOS Flashback is completed.

Bye.

0 Kudos
colesdav
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi

Is this the error you mean?
Solved: DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED - Answer HQ

Bye.

0 Kudos
colesdav
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi

RE: One game I've been testing is Crysis 3, and always starting a new campaign, so, a new game, and when Psycho gives the gun to Prophet, as soon as the game is about to begin it crashes with that error about DXGI removed device, sometimes, its a complete black screen freeze and a shutdown is needed. There are moments I'm able to play a litte and then bam... Also noticed that changing the graphics quality to medium apparently fixed it, as soon as I changed to High, not even to the Max quality of "Very High" it crashed about 2 seconds in.

OK so I can test this situation in Crysis 3 with Latest Adrenalin Driver on Windows 7, 8.1, 10. Take your pick and tell me which driver version.
If you look at GIGABYTE G1 AMD RX 480 4GB RED SCREEN
Some games I tested during the debug were and still are crashing depending on the in game settings used with AMD cards.

Assassins Creed Black Flag failed above with AMD cards when used above a particular game AA setting.
I either got black screen + system freeze + still hear in game audio or red screen then black screen + audio buzz followed by Atikmdag.sys BSOD.
Frequently hard reset was needed to get out of it.

FYI I tested Assassins Creed Black Flag the on different machine but driven from Nvidia GTX780Ti a few weeks ago and it runs fine at all graphics settings including the highest AA ones  with no crashing. There is no Physx because I also have a secondary R9 Nano in the PC. Swapping over to the AMD R9 Nano and driving the game from it running latest Adrenalin Drivers guess what - yes. It crashed.

I have reported this Assasins Creed Black Flag issue on the AMD Reporting form a couple of times and on this forum months ago and it is still broken.

I do not have the energy left to submit an email form to ask for direct support on that one and I have little to zero faith it will get fixed in any case.

Bye.

0 Kudos
entranced
Adept II
Adept II

Yes, that is the error.

I will post a little later with my best sum of what I tested and how, what I did and what I plan to do next (will do a re-flash of my mobo just to discard that)

Will try my best to get "out" all I did so you guys can understand better my situation and environment

I will also post my complete system configurations and components, Windows 7 Ultimate x64 it's my OS

Will post later my best summarize of all this, and thanks for all the help till now, its a shame this is happening, this community seems awesome, AMD is awesome, but sadly they are not doing this right now and that really makes me sad... and I need to computer for my work too.

Be right back

entranced
Adept II
Adept II

So, my computer:

CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.2Ghz

GPU: AMD ASUS EXPEDITION RX 570 4GB OC

RAM: 16GB G.SKILL TridentX 2400mhz DDR3

Motherboard: Asrock Fatal1ty 990FX Killer

Power Supply: Enermax REVOLUTION87+ 850W

Case: Zalman Z11 Plus

Display: Samsung Syncmaster 2494HS

So, did a stress test to the GPU with OCCT and always brought a lot of artifacts, CPU and RAM are all stable

Furmark did not show any artifacts, but did made the black screen thing

Mind the black screen when it happens I can still use the reset button, but I won't get display image unless I shutoff my computer, I can hear Windows starting up

3DMark stress test throttles when gpu reaches 70ºC and will continue this cycle to maintain the temperature, with a manual fan curve that was solved, sometimes 20 loops throttling or not, pass, others black screen, it can pass 100 loops or black screen/crash within no more than 4 loops

Unigine Superposition normally runs a long time, but did eventually black screen

The first black screen I got was when I was playing Heroes of the Storm, as I said before, I went away from the computer for a bit, and when I got back I was greeted with the black screen

Never got a BSOD and the event logs are not much explanatory, just appoints to a GPU or gpu driver failure

Realbench black screened once, and that was unexpected(because I was testing a lot of times with RealBench and it never did what it did as compared to only GPU stress scenarios/programs/games), when the GPU started rendering the blender image, so, it is not only games that make this

Tested several drivers:

Adrenalin Edition 18.5.1 (using now)

Adrenalin Edition 18.6.1

Adrenalin Edition 18.4.1

Not really a fix or difference from this 3 driver versions, since I was testing mainly the same game in this case Crysis 3, did not rechecked OCCT gputest for artifacts as I don't want to fry anything, but did retest Furmark one or two more times and no real changes.

So, if I did not missed anything, (GTA V appears to run with no issues, there was only one time that it had a "hang", but the game recovered and couldn't see any error message) what I'm going to do now is:

Test different PCI-E power cables

Test second PCI-E slot (RIP PCI case brackets, they will be missed )

Re-flash motherboard BIOS

And finally test with the new driver 18.7.1 and see what games and what causes black screens and eventually if it continues bad enough, RMA

PS: Yes, one more important thing, with this card I could never had the monitor, not the computer, the monitor, go to "sleep", because the chances of not being able to "wake up" the monitor were 90% of times, and again, the keyboard was unresponsive when this happened, but a simple reset although forced brought everything back and a force shutdown was not needed to have image again

archosan
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

New issues described;

I already had a black screen issue but it is like blink for 2-3 seconds in the game or surf in internet. It was happening once in 2-3 days. After a week it is 2-3 times in a day.

But more importantly a new issue came out. Black screen happening but screen stays in black screen. And when that was happening i had to  restarting computer.

0 Kudos
musafirlalu
Adept II
Adept II

the monitor, go to "sleep", because the chances of not being able to "wake up" the monitor were 90% of times, and again, the keyboard was unresponsive when this happened

I had problem similar to this (but the keyboard functioned normally)  when I was using windows 8.1. At that time I had a HD 6870 or HD 7870. There were people having similar problems as well, so it was not an isolated issue. I remember waiting for a newer driver each time, hoping that it would fix the problem. One workaround is to disable and re-enable the graphics adapter using devmanview through keyboard shortcut. Now that I'm using windows 10 and a RX 580, the problem has since not occurred. Since your problem has your keyboard not working, I think it is a different problem.

The black screen of death (BSOD) is something that I experience starting the day I purchased RX 580 until now (the latest driver, one time so far, after I meddled with registry entries). When it happens sometimes the computer reboots by itself, on other occasions the screen stays blank, waiting for me to use reset button (my reset button is not disabled). However unlike similar problems, mine doesn't happen when the computer is idling.

0 Kudos
colesdav
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi
RE: devmanview - is this it?

Alternative to device manager of Windows
Bye.

0 Kudos
colesdav
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi,

Just to check.

Did you run all of the above tests with the CPU and GPU at stock clock speeds?

Thanks.

0 Kudos