cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics

lumby
Adept II

Re: Rx480 random black screen while gaming

i might be in the same boat they might have a return incoming.

0 Likes
polyamid
Adept III

Which game produced the crash? Changed voltage or default? Does driver say that it had crashed after restart? Which crimson version.

redhen256
Adept II

WOW is what I was playing when it crashed. I'm at stock voltage. I was originally using Crimson 16.8.2 Hotfix. I tried using the DDU uninstaller and got rid of everything. and rolled back to 16.7.3 which is what I'm using now. None of this helped. When I was tweaking with Wattman, When the Screen went black and I restarted, Wattman would tell me it went beck to default settings due to an unexpected error or crash. I can't remember the exact wording... anyways, nothing has worked but I did make an observation. I had my power settings to balanced and that makes the screen go black after 20 minutes. Everytime I have come back to my computer after a certain amount of time had gone, the screens would be black and there was no way I could come out of this. I had to restart. I wonder if this issue has something to do with the display turn off that normally is triggered by windows???

sparetime
Adept I

I had the same thing happen, when the screen goes black when I'm away and it is froze up.  I even bought a 850 watt PSU to see if power was the issue.  Same thing.  I don't have time to continue troubleshooting this Rx 480.  I'm replacing it with a 10 series Nvidia.  Sucks that now I have to return my 4K LG monitor because what's the point of having free sync with a company that produces garbage like this.

derrickgott007
Miniboss

I bet it has something to do with all the adapters.  You probably need ACTIVE adapters as PASSIVE adapters have been causing some issues.

redhen256
Adept II

So I last night I tried rolling back even further to Crimson 16.7.1 and (Knock on wood) I did not experience any more black screens last night. I found another forum post saying to roll back to 16.7.1 and run Clockblocker. I did not install Clockblocker but did install 16.7.1 after running DDU and uninstalling 16.7.3. I will reply to this post if I have any further issues.

lumby
Adept II

Cool man i might try that trying using my tv atm with no adapters not sure how i'll fare gonna play some wow legion try it out

redhen256
Adept II

So an update form last night. I played several hours. Did not have any black screens. One time I got a BSOD saying that there was a hardware failure. I am not sure where that came from. I restarted and had no issues. Wattman did detect the hardware failure and reset my default settings. Still... There were no black screens... So I don't know if the BSOD was a fluke or if the card is really bad. I guess I'll play Legion tonight and see what happens.

lumby
Adept II

Yes i prefer no black screens as well gonna try to get a that driver again. Gotta redownload it tho since DDU wipes all my rollback drivers i think. Using a direct HDMI port didn't help at all either. So i don't think it has nothing to do with my adapters. I think it's strictly Driver related. I Anti Aliasing makes it crash much faster as well. When i turn that up it always crashes.

redhen256
Adept II

So I played Legion from 6pm to about 12pm last night. There were no black screens. It froze for a half a second and then the Radeon.exe crashed but no black  Event Log says that the Display crashed, which I assume was the program, not the hardware. but successfully recovered. No BSOD and no black screen.