Rx480 random black screen while gaming

• AMD Graphics Card
    • Rx480
  • Desktop
  • Operating System
    • Win 10

Driver version installed

• Software Crimson Edition 16.8.2

When I first installed the graphics card i didn't have all these adapters just the dvi to hdmi adapter ran 1 screen didn't have any issues very often. Sometimes the display driver will recover other times it just stays black screens and I am forced to hard shutdown the machine. I used DDU and cleaned out my previous driver before installing this one. I had no luck in 16.8.3 so i rolled back. Just tried switching the Rx480 into my other PCI-E slot thinking the slot might be going bad after 5 years of being cooked by my previous card. Any ideas welcome

0 Kudos
133 Replies
sparetime
Adept I

Re: Rx480 random black screen while gaming

I just bought a Rx 480.  I am running Freesync with a LG 4K monitor.  I am having random black screens flashing while gaming.  I tried all three of the latest drivers.  I tried turning off Freesync and VSync.  No results.  I am ready to take this GPU back.  I work at Best Buy and will probably encourage all my customers to steer clear of the RX series of cards.  This is the latest one from XFX too!  My GTX 660ti from four years ago could handle the gaming load that I am putting this thing through.  Plus the fans scream like a small turbo jet engine.  Please help AMD!!!!

0 Kudos
polyamid
Adept III

Do you expect your blackscreens in games or is it in idle mode, browsing and so on randomly?

0 Kudos
sparetime
Adept I

My black screening and stuttering is only during gaming. I haven't tried watching video yet, though.

Sent from my iPhone

0 Kudos
lumby
Adept II

It's always while gaming never on idle, or randomly. Think it may be overheating? The fan on this card i almost never hear it vs my old one. Also it doesn't black screen while playing low end graphic games. Ect Stardew Valley, Old school emulator Mario, mega man rpgs. I normally crash playing Starcraft 2, Heroes of the storm, Rust.

0 Kudos
redhen256
Adept II

I've been having a similar problem. For me it has only happened in games. Have you changed anything in Wattman?

0 Kudos
redhen256
Adept II

I undervolted the card and I started to see it happen. I though it might be that so I took it off. Every time I have tried to undervolt it has done this. Last night I turned all my settings back to default and haven't had a problem yet. At default settings the card will throttle the GPU in order to avoid overheating but also avoid the fans spinning too high. every time I have experienced a black screen, it has been just prior to a small sound change in the fan. It almost sounds like the card is trying to change something but fails and that causes the card to crash. I don't know for certain but its what i'm guessing. With default setting though I have not had the issue. I will keep up the updates. 

lumby
Adept II

I restored my wattman back to defaults from when i messed with it a bit, not to mention wattman crashes half the time i access it. I normally can't hear my fan with my headset on if it makes a sound when the driver crashes.That is really annoying if that is what is crashing the driver when the fan switches speeds not much i can really do about it. Since i don't want to set a base line fan speed it may not be enough =P. I have alot less crashes in performance mode and if i turn settings down low. I honestly think your right with the fan speed changing it would be the only thing that would be random enough. It's pretty odd tho.

0 Kudos
sparetime
Adept I

I've lowered the wattage and frequency slightly.  I adjusted the fan speed up.  Still black screening during load.  I tried cursing at it too.  No results.

redhen256
Adept II

Okay so tonight I loaded the computer and it blacked out before I could log in. I restarted and logged in. Everything was at default. I played for a little bit and it blacked out again. I reloaded the computer and tried increasing the stock fan speed to 3k rpm. The temps did not go over 82C. The fan was at 2200rpm when it blacked out this last time.... Starting to think the card is defective. During this entire process of tinkering I have not once overclocked it.