cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

pebzi
Journeyman III

rx480 overheating

so now over the past 2 months my gpu has been overheating for no apparent reason, ive had it since 2016 mid august, its a  XFX Radeon RX 480 black OC edition.

ive been able to run heavy games with ease on it in the past like doom, and warframe at max settings with massive amounts of particles and explosions with few to no hiccups in the fps. and ive been playing guild wars 2 since early december again as i returned to it after a short break, everything on max as usual no problems until may 14th, for no reason whatsoever my gpu has gone from a stable 65-74 ish to topping  high 80s- and even 90s before it literally force crashes everything running. and now even with dropping all settings on gw2 that isnt even a heavy gpu game down to low and medium im still hitting 80s and above with my fan speed at over 80%. the card is just as it was out of the box, never touched overclocking or anything as i dont want to literally fry anything by accident. heres a few sc's from my gpu-z monitor and speed fan, running in idle in a main menu of gw2 that does not require any real amount of gpu usage.

Im really frustrated as i literally cant play in any form of heavy populated areas or particle spammy areas such as world vs world pvp, raids and open world bosses and zergs, i would love to get any kind of help as to what to do.

Thank you in advance for any help provided

overheat 2.PNG

0 Likes
4 Replies

Have you run the GPU-Z render test (nothing else open/minimized in the background), and watch to see how long to hit high temp.

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..
0 Likes
dstmnd89x
Challenger

Have you opened up the computer and taken a look at the card? It may be plugged full of dust and a fan may not be working... if it's a non-reference (AIO) model.

0 Likes

yes i have cleaned the card, i regularly pressure air clean my pc around every 5-6 months, and dust filters on front and top weekly. kinda really strict on that, i hate a dusty pc as it looks bad

0 Likes

If the card and case are clean with good air flow then likely the fan (s) on the GPU have an issue. To rule out driver corruption, you can run DDU from safe mode and reinstall the driver and I would try that first. XFX has a good support team. If that card is under warranty they will RMA it and fix the fans. Just because the fans are spinning doesn't mean they are turning full speed. As the bearings go the fans slip and no longer reach full speed. The fan life span will be drastically cut short if you clean your graphics card with air and don't immobilize the fans when doing it. Compressed air will make the fans move much faster than they are supposed to and can quickly damage the bearings. Try the driver reinstall first. Watch the fan operate, see if you see any noticeable stutters or other signs of issue. Reach out to XFX for support. I have had them send me fans for out of warranty cards before and the price was cheap. If they can't there are after market solutions too, google is your friend!

Good Luck

0 Likes