cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

ludova
Adept I

RX480 Issues: Poor performance + BEX64 error

Generally, the graphics card seems ok. But there are issues that make me think something is wrong and it is not performing at a proper level.

Example: When I open Photoshop, I get a warning message (see img Photoshop-1).

The driver is updated automatically through windows and everything suggests it is functioning fine. Still, I figured I'd check it out and tried to download your current software Adrenalin. Yet when I tried to run it, the install stops and says it has to close:

Problem Event Name:    BEX64
  Application Name:    RadeonInstaller.exe software

This happened with the full software and the minimalized detection software. I tried downloading again.. but same thing.

Furthermore, my speakers end up being really very faint even at max volume. This may or may not be connected, but since the audio is an AMD High Definition Audio Device I figured the driver detection tool may look at that as well.

When I built my computer I took great care ensuring everything was going to be compatible... right down to the power supply and ensuring a roomy case for proper cooling. I knew I would need a stronger card for some 3D applications I need to run (3Ds Max also runs a little buggy especially when rendering) and even Adobe AI or ID sometimes tend  to lag in performance. So it isn`t so much that something is terribly wrong... it is just that I don`t feel I`m getting any special performance. In fact, on many levels it is no better than the graphics card I replaced which was 10 years old (also AMD although can`t recall exactly which - long expired.)

Here are my specs:

Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1
CPU: Intel Core i5 6500 @ 3.20GHz    30 °C
    Skylake 14nm Technology
RAM: 16.0GB Dual-Channel Unknown @ 1065MHz (15-15-15-36)
Motherboard: ASRock H170A-X1/3.1 (CPUSocket)    37 °C
Graphics: S24D360 (1920x1080@59Hz)
    ATI Radeon RX 480 Graphics (ASUStek Computer Inc)
Storage:  931GB Western Digital WDC WD10EZEX-08WN4A0 ATA Device (SATA )    32 °C
    1862GB Western Digital WD My Passport 0830 USB Device (USB (SATA) )    32 °C
Optical Drives: No optical disk drives detected
Audio: AMD High Definition Audio Device

I`ve also attached a couple of other images in case I forgot to mention some details.

Thanks in advance to all who take the time to look at this.

PS: Yes, I made sure Win updates are current before retrying everything.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Download a small free program and run it called GPU-Z. This will give you all the specs on your GPU Card. Make sure OpenCL is marked at the bottom like mine:

Check in Device Manager for any errors or yellow exclamation marks.

Here is Adobe Photoshop FAQ concerning Recommended Graphics Cards: Photoshop graphics processor (GPU) card FAQ 

Adobe Photoshop says the error you have is to update the GPU Driver: Error: “Graphics hardware not officially supported for 3D” 

Try this basic method of installing the AMD Driver on your computer to avoid conflict with the previous AMD Driver:

install AMD driver:

1) Download the correct AMD Full Set of drivers from AMD Support. Make sure your Windows is fully updated via Windows Update. Windows Must be fully updated because the latest AMD Drivers requires all the latest "Optional" and "Recommended" updates to be installed.

2) Use Windows Uninstall to uninstall current AMD driver and software and disconnect the internet from your computer. Then use DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) from Wagnardsoft  Forum in Safe Mode. This will eliminate all traces of the AMD driver and software from your computer.

Delete C: \ AMD folder from the Root Directory. Reboot

3) Go to Device Manager and click "Display Adapter" and make sure you are on the MS Basic Display Adapter. If not, uninstall the AMD driver using Properties.

4) Try reinstalling the AMD FULL SET OF DRIVERS that you have downloaded manually. Make sure you disable the Internet to prevent Windows from installing a newer version. So configure windows to prevent it from updating drivers via windows update. So it has been mentioned to disable any anti-virus programs before installing AMD Drivers.

5) If the new AMD drivers installs and works correctly, delete again the C: \ AMD folder from the root directory. To save space on the HDD.

6) Enable both the Internet and Anti-Virus program (if applicable).

7) Go back to Device Manager and check your GPU card driver is working and identified correctly

If all this fails then try installing a Previous AMD Driver and see if it works. It is possible the latest AMD driver is not compatible with something in your computer from here: Radeon™ RX 480 Previous Drivers | AMD 

NOTE: You might want to open a AMD Service Request from here: Online Service Request | AMD 

NOTE -1 : Are you aware that Windows 7 will be unsupported and considered to be End of Line (legacy) in January 20, 2020 by Microsoft?

Therefore after that date there will probably be no more Drivers to update from AMD or any other company since Windows 7 won't be updated to the latest updates in Windows via Windows Update.

Windows 7 won't get any more Windows Updates from Microsoft after that date.

View solution in original post

17 Replies

This software is similar to what you are using. According to MAYA website the error BEX64 is caused by another program interfering;

From Seven Forums concerning BEX64: Bex 64 error Solved - Windows 7 Help Forums 

The OP disabled this particular 3rd party program which fixed the issue for his game:

Try using a Clean Boot in Windows. Here is how to do it: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows 

The above link will disable all 3rd party startup programs except Microsoft related programs and drivers.

If you don't get anymore BEX64 on a clean boot, then try enabling 50% of the startup programs. through process of elimination you can locate which program is interfering and keep it disabled or uninstall it.

I have attached a Microsoft Software Troubleshooter for you to run. Run it and see if anything comes up.

elstaci First, thank you for some excellent ideas.

Unfortunately, none worked.

I disabled all third-party programs - in services and start up, and the issue remained.

I also ran that program, and it could not find any issues. It came back clean.

Any other ideas?

0 Likes

Download a small free program and run it called GPU-Z. This will give you all the specs on your GPU Card. Make sure OpenCL is marked at the bottom like mine:

Check in Device Manager for any errors or yellow exclamation marks.

Here is Adobe Photoshop FAQ concerning Recommended Graphics Cards: Photoshop graphics processor (GPU) card FAQ 

Adobe Photoshop says the error you have is to update the GPU Driver: Error: “Graphics hardware not officially supported for 3D” 

Try this basic method of installing the AMD Driver on your computer to avoid conflict with the previous AMD Driver:

install AMD driver:

1) Download the correct AMD Full Set of drivers from AMD Support. Make sure your Windows is fully updated via Windows Update. Windows Must be fully updated because the latest AMD Drivers requires all the latest "Optional" and "Recommended" updates to be installed.

2) Use Windows Uninstall to uninstall current AMD driver and software and disconnect the internet from your computer. Then use DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) from Wagnardsoft  Forum in Safe Mode. This will eliminate all traces of the AMD driver and software from your computer.

Delete C: \ AMD folder from the Root Directory. Reboot

3) Go to Device Manager and click "Display Adapter" and make sure you are on the MS Basic Display Adapter. If not, uninstall the AMD driver using Properties.

4) Try reinstalling the AMD FULL SET OF DRIVERS that you have downloaded manually. Make sure you disable the Internet to prevent Windows from installing a newer version. So configure windows to prevent it from updating drivers via windows update. So it has been mentioned to disable any anti-virus programs before installing AMD Drivers.

5) If the new AMD drivers installs and works correctly, delete again the C: \ AMD folder from the root directory. To save space on the HDD.

6) Enable both the Internet and Anti-Virus program (if applicable).

7) Go back to Device Manager and check your GPU card driver is working and identified correctly

If all this fails then try installing a Previous AMD Driver and see if it works. It is possible the latest AMD driver is not compatible with something in your computer from here: Radeon™ RX 480 Previous Drivers | AMD 

NOTE: You might want to open a AMD Service Request from here: Online Service Request | AMD 

NOTE -1 : Are you aware that Windows 7 will be unsupported and considered to be End of Line (legacy) in January 20, 2020 by Microsoft?

Therefore after that date there will probably be no more Drivers to update from AMD or any other company since Windows 7 won't be updated to the latest updates in Windows via Windows Update.

Windows 7 won't get any more Windows Updates from Microsoft after that date.

First things first: I want to reiterate just how grateful I am for your excellent suggestions and easy to follow directions. I cannot say that enough. Thank you.

Now to business:

I am currently in the process of preparing to follow your instructions and finishing off small projects just in case I mess something up and need to do damage control up to and including a fresh install. (Best to be prepared for the worst case scenario). So now that we are in the workweek, I figure to make the attempt tomorrow.

In the mean time:

1. I have included the current view of the GPU-Z. Right away I noticed that the OpenCL is unmarked as are the middle two options. Since I have no clue as to what any of those do, I thought I'd show you before making any changes. This I feel should be my first step in any case. So if you have any thoughts, please let me know.

AMD-GPUZ-Before.png

2. Re: Photoshop. I actually believe this may be a problem within that particular version of Photoshop. Or perhaps in the way that my graphics card is configured. I did an immense amount of research 2 years ago when I first assembled the computer and noticed the message. I was shocked as to how many people were having the same issue. Most with much stronger graphics cards than mine. The warning isn't about incompatibility as much as it seems to be that it does not even recognize what the heck card it is. Furthermore, no other Adobe program - nor 3Ds Max for that matter- seems to have a problem recognizing that yes, my card does have enough memory. I may have an issue with performance, but the programs themselves recognize that the memory is more than adequate. So I'll live with it if I have to. There are indications that later PS versions have addressed the issue although I cannot confirm that. As for Adobe's response about updating drivers, that is typical 'corporate-blah-blah' where they attempt to pass the buck while they figure out what to do.   After all, if my previous HD 6700 series never had a problem, how the heck can this?

3. Now this is going to be a very naive question, so while I understand you will definitely do an eyeroll, please do it privately.   My understanding is that Adrenalin is a software program that includes the driver. I assume that when you say 'Download the correct AMD Full Set of drivers from AMD Support ' you are referring to this. Or is there a way I can simply download drivers without extra software? Unfortunately the AMD site is not overly user friendly for those with limited tech knowledge (sorry AMD, but I'm just being honest). So I guess what I'm asking is just for idiot-proof clarification. Do you mean: Adrenalin 2019 Edition 19.5.2 ?

4. Yes, I know about Win 7 upcoming abandonment.  I kept hoping that MS was going to learn a lesson and come up with a reasonable alternative to the ridiculously invasive Win 10, but I guess some old dogs just won't learn. So a Win7-Linux combo is definitely in my future. In the mean time, I'll be honest; there is no way I am downloading 'Optional' updates. I download mainly security updates, and even those I scrutinize fully. I sincerely doubt that AMD does not realize that and would create a software or driver that would require 'optional' updates that have proven to do more harm than good. If they did, so be it. I'll live with this limitation until my next computer upgrade when I will rethink my loyalty to AMD. I simply am not willing to exchange one set of problems for another more invasive form. But I will follow everything else to the letter. Hopefully that will suffice.

So as of now, my plan is to do a deep-clean tomorrow. In the mean time, if you wish to provide some feedback in regards to my GPU-Z settings (ie. should I check all the boxes at the bottom or just the OpenCL) that would also be appreciated.

So thank you again, and I will certainly keep you updated.

0 Likes

If GPU is not showing OpenCL checked mark or "enabled" you have a problem. Photoshop uses OpenCL . That box, in GPU-Z,  you can't check mark manually.  It is telling you,automatically, that your GPU doesn't support OpenCL, which it does. :

Second, you must allow Windows Update to install Security, Recommended, & Optional updates. AMD requires all these to be installed for the latest drivers to work. The only Updates AMD Driver doesn't require are Windows Driver updates. I have mine disabled. That could be part of the problem you are having with AMD driver and OpenCL not checked for your GPU.

Third, you have a very old driver that is out-dated according to GPU-Z. Download the latest for Windows 7 from here: Radeon™ RX 480 Drivers & Support | AMD 

Fourth, You can just install the driver manually via Device Manager and point it to the AMD Installation folder at C:\AMD. but , in my opinion, it is best to download the full package (Adrenalin 2019 Edition 19.6.2 or the WHQL 19.5.2). That way you have access to all the features on your GPU.

In this current thread concerning another User with Windows 7: Unable to click "express installation" or "custom installation" while installing Adrenalin 18.9.3 , kingfish‌ has uploaded a couple of images showing what to prevent from installing before and after.  He also mentions about fully updating Windows 7 via Windows Update.

Fifth, Make sure all your Intel Drivers especially the Chip Set and APU drivers are the latest for your Motherboard. Also update the Motherboard BIOS if you have a very out-dated BIOS.

So basically follow steps 2,3, & 5 above before installing the latest AMD Driver.

NOTE: I know I gave you a lot of information. But generally your computer must be up to date for most drivers to work properly.

If you do all of the above and GPU-Z is still showing OpenCL not checked mark then that needs to be fixed otherwise Photoshop won't work correctly. Hopefully once you fully update Windows and install the full package it OpenCL will show your GPU with OpenCL enabled.

Thanks, but I don't mind. I am a User like yourself. Lets hope you are able to fix your problem with some basic troubleshooting tips.

If you want Official AMD Support, I gave you the link in my previous comment.

Edit: You can use Intel own Updater to update all of your motherboard's Intel Driver. It is called "INTEL DRIVER & SUPPORT ASSISTANT".

Edit: it was brought to my attention a minor disadvantage of using the Intel Updater. It will start up whenever you boot into Windows. Just go the lower right corner of the Task bar where the Hidden Icon are located. Right click on the Intel Icon and hit 'Exit" that should prevent it from starting up with Windows. I didn't see any "Start Up" Intel when I checked the Task Manager Start Up menu.

0 Likes

Wow. I was just double checking updates (April roll-up has finally been 'corrected' so I installed it ). And started googling about how the heck to verify bios etc.... and ended up on the Intel website and found the Driver & Support Assistant. And I was wondering if it would be too pushy to ask you if you think this could be helpful... and now I noticed your 'Edit'.  

You've inspired me. I don't have the patience to wait for tomorrow.

I looked at all my drivers, and while all of them seem 'up to date' as per MS, and none have a warning sign, I did notice some of the dates are darn old!

But at the same time, I see warnings saying 'if all is working, don't update bios'. UGH. Seriously? Is it any wonder people stick with drivers that are decades old. In any case, I thought the Intel helper might help, but didn't want to bother you.

But... seeing your edit, I'm going to install the Intel assistant, and then I will do a clean-up as per your steps above. (My Win updates are green... but no, I did not install all of them. The ones I hide are the ones that have many people and IT professionals complaining of major issues and rolling-back. So again, I accept what you are saying, but I can only handle one devil at a time. So we'll do what we can. 

AMD does not appear on windows uninstall, so I take it I should probably just jump straight to DDU. 

I am assuming that despite all the uninstalls, I will still be able to 'see' the basic stuff to get my work done.... right?

EDIT: Don't know whether to be happy or annoyed....

Intel Update Report.png

Also.... could this be problem (highlight)

AMD-OpenCL.png

0 Likes

Good Troubleshooting.

I learned something from you today. That might be the best way to determine why GPU-Z is not showing OpenCL.  AFTER you finished installing and updating your Motherboard and installing the AMD Driver. And it still shows OpenCL as 'Unsigned".  This is how to enable to load Unsign Drivers in Windows 7: 64 bit - Install unsigned drivers in Windows 7? - Super User 

My GPU-Z is showing OpenCL as being WHQL signed:

The AMD Driver is the one that installs and updates OpenCL. Maybe once you install the WQHL driver it will show correctly in GPU-Z.

Here is the latest BIOS for your Motherboard. Bookmark the link for BIOS and Download for future reference: ASRock > H170A-X1/3.1 

It is true about updating BIOS and Drivers. But maintaining the latest BIOS helps make your Motherboard Hardware and Software more compatible and securer. If you do decide to update, make sure you make a copy of the current BIOS in case anything goes wrong. Don't update via Windows, too risky of computer crashing during the update and you are left with a paperweight. Do it using a Flash Drive or possibly thru BIOS itself. Make sure you have a secure Power source. The biggest risk in updating BIOS is losing power during the actual update.

On pages 65 & 66 of your Motherboard's Manual it mentions how to update BIOS using Instant Flash.  I have attached you motherboard's Manual to this post. It is probably out dated but you can check ASRock Support to see if they have a more updated method of updating your BIOS using a USB Flash drive.

WARNING: If you have never updated BIOS or you feel uncomfortable about updating BIOS - DO NOT DO IT!  Or have someone experience in updating BIOS do it for you. In fact, Update BIOS as a last resorts if nothing else works.

Driver should be updated only if you are having problems and the driver will fix it OR a program or game requires a higher newer version to work.

You seem to have a fairly old Motherboard like mine. Most drivers are from 2016: ASRock > H170A-X1/3.1 

Yes, use the Intel Updater. It is the most convenient way of updating all Intel drivers at one time on your motherboard. 

by the way, Kingfish alerted me that the Intel Updater runs to "Services". One on automatic and one on manual. But if you exit the Intel Icon on the hidden Icon folder, I believe it will prevent the program from running during the next boot. I will double check later on and see if the Intel Icon reappears again after clicking "Exit" on the Intel Icon in Hidden Icon Folder on the Task Bar.

As to the hidden Windows Updates, it is your call. If you still are having problems with the AMD Driver IT MAY be due to one of those hidden updates not being installed.

But to be on the safe side, just wait and first see if the AMD Driver works correctly. If they don't then try to install one Hidden update at a time until it starts working. hopefully it will.

Yes, if Windows doesn't show any AMD software or Driver installed then just run DDU in Safe mode with the internet disconnected until after you boot back up and install the new AMD Driver. Then reconnect the Internet. This will prevent Windows Update from installing a older driver before the new driver can be installed.

Well, as I said, Intel said everything was ok and up to date. But I have to tell you, I am not completely convinced of Intel's effectiveness in identifying 'old' drivers when I see something like this:

Intel Chip-1.png

Part of me thinks that it just checks whether Microsoft thinks something is out of date. And if MS is not showing problems, it doesn't show problems.

Thanks so much for the link, I think I will update it. I had gone to the site but had no clue what exactly to download.  Mine is 7.2v and evidently the 7.4v is now available. I know my motherboard is considered an 'oldie' but my research has shown that it was - and remains - a 'goodie' for my needs.  

But this exercise has shown me that I had better do a very VERY good backup of my files as I may very well end up having to start from scratch. I just tried using the 'wmic' command to find my bios version and the command wasn't recognized. Sheesh. Something has obviously happened at a basic level. I had to do a reinstall of 3Ds Max recently which required a thorough cleaning of AutoDesk remnants. And while that process seemed to have gone well, it is possible that it created some problems.

So the worst case scenario is looking more likely and I just want to be prepared. I am downloading all the drivers in a separate folder so that I have them ready in case I end up needing them.

Thanks a lot for your help. I am going to finish the 'prep' work tonight, but I will wait until tomorrow to do all your steps.

I will definitely let you know what happens. Because now that I have started it, I am determined to see it through - even if it requires starting from scratch (oh God... )

So goodnight for now.

Ignore the drivers for the Intel Processors. Those are special drivers installed by the OS. My are the same year for my AMD Processor. Those drivers CAN"T be updated nor downloaded from anywhere. They don't exist. Only the particular OS is the one that installs those.

The drivers that are important are the CHIP Sets mainly.

0 Likes

by the way it is an excellent idea to do a full System Backup before doing any major changes in case something goes wrong.

I, myself, still use Windows 7 System Backup in Windows 10. I found out Restore Point is not that effective but restoring System Backup is very effective.

I also use Gadgets on my Windows 10 Desktop.  I wish that Microsoft will again support Desktop Gadgets in the future again.

0 Likes

BEX64 is spawned by WPC.DLL which is a Windows component

open an elevated command prompt and run

sfc /scannow

hardcoregames™

This was actually a really good idea - so obvious, but I completely forgot about it. Thanks for that.. sort of. It is unfortunately why I am thinking I may have to start from scratch.

I ran it twice and both times it said it did some repairs but some it could not fix. The latter does not overly worry me because it looks like it is referring to an old hack I used that fixes a Microsoft gadget issue. So I expect that. But I am surprised it is finding other things to fix. That shouldn't be the case.

And since the cbs file is ridiculously long without any glowing arrows pointing to an issue, it is also difficult to pinpoint what other problems exist. I couldn't find any reference to wpc.dll, but am not certain I am supposed to.

I'm going to run it a couple of more times to see if it fixes more items. I can only conclude that my Autodesk clean up may have messed up a few things as it ran clean before (excluding the gadget issue).

Hardcoregame mentioned a good tip.

Windows 7 has something similar to Windows 10 DISM function that download and repairs files or folders that SFC can't repair. It is called SURT. You can download it from Microsoft from here: Download System Update Readiness Tool for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB947821) [October 2014] ... 

This explains about SURT and Windows 10 DISM.: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/947821/fix-windows-update-errors-by-using-the-dism-or-syste... 

The above link also has a download function to download the tool.

if sfc cannot fix problems, backup your files and install windows fresh

0 Likes
ludova
Adept I

elstaci

It  worked!  I think there very well may have been remnants of the old software that never properly uninstalled (Crimson??).

I apologize about the delay in my response. That same evening I spilled the remnants of my coffee all over the keyboard. Needless to say, the keyboard was NOT impressed with my liquid java and within minutes made its displeasure known by inserting zeros, closing windows and general misbehaviour. I just got a temporary replacement today until I can get something better. 

In any case, the DDU worked perfectly and the software installed flawlessly. It immediately noticed and informed me of the Open CL and some 3D aspect. Here is the current view from GPU-z:

GPU-z-Thursday.gif

As you can see, the OpenCL is checked. I am not sure why CUDA and PhysX is still unchecked and it is somewhat concerning because I do recall that when I was having problems rendering in 3Ds Max it did mention something about CUDA not being detected. But I haven't had a chance to test anything on Max yet because I wanted to let you know asap and I felt guilty disappearing from the forum after saying I would do something right away.

However, I did open Photoshop, and guess what.... NO 3D ERROR MESSAGE!! (I would insert a happy dancing GIF here...)

Where have you been for the last 2 years?!

The only problem that persists is the audio which continues to be very poor despite new drivers being installed.

Every single one of your posts has been hugely helpful and immensely educational. So much so, that regardless of it working right now, I do think there are errors in the system that can only be fixed through a reinstall. My maintenance log is showing a significant amount of of ID 100+ warnings and critical errors in booting, and since the install of the program, I am getting an ID500 warning {"Video memory resources are over-utilized and there is thrashing happening as a result."}. In addition, I am getting a message from windows diagnostics that my visual settings are impairing performance. So many things happening.... and most of it underneath. But now at least I know what to look for and how to prepare.

So I am in the process of assembling the proper drivers into a separate folder so that I can ensure they are easily accessible as well as organizing my programs to try and create as smooth a reinstallation as possible. I will do that this weekend.

In the mean time, a few final questions if you do not mind:

1. CUDA - not sure what that is, but I think my rendering engine wants it. If my card is capable of that, how do I activate it?

2. You mentioned deleting the C:\AMD folder, but there are items in it. I understood you as saying that now that Adrenalin is installed, that those folders are superfluous. Should I still be uninstalling it? Will it affect the software program?

Thanks again for absolutely everything. AMD should be paying you. 

0 Likes

great to hear.  

LoL, Yes Liquid Java is the keyboard's sworn enemy.  As to you taking a long time to answer, I figure you had a lot to do and it takes time to do it. Computer work can be tedious especially running or updating software or Windows.

Ignore CUDA and PHYSX  those two are only relevant with Nvidia GPU Cards and not AMD GPU Cards. Nvidia GPU Cards uses CUDA and PHYSX in their drivers which AMD doesn't.

Yes, delete the C:\AMD Folder. It is not being used anymore. It is safe to delete. It won't affect anything except free up a gigabyte worth of Hard drive/SSD.  If you want to can move it to another hard drive and save it in case you need to install something from there manually.

Hope your Photoshop now works correctly.

Take care

0 Likes