cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

kimas
Journeyman III

RX480 checker pattern on boot and video crash

I have this huge problem that I have for over a year. Almost every time I /boot my PC I get a checkered pattern all over my screen and windows stuff freezes but not patterns they start flickering. it happens for like 10 seconds, then the screen went black. After hard restart windows boots without a problem. Also, find out that in most cases when I turn my PC in the morning, turn it off before I go and on the same day at evening when I get home turn on it again many times it doesn't appear. I am adding an album with a video that shows what happens.

RX480 boot - Google Photos

My specs:
RAM: Corsair Vengence DDR4 16GB 3200mhz LP
MB: Asus Prime x370-Pro
GPU: Asus RX480 Strix OC 8GB
Monitor: Ultrawide 1080p 75Hz connected using display port Freesync enabled.
Drivers: Most recent version (always update them to newest, and already tried clean install)

It should be a software issue because it was all okay then with some update long ago it started doing this. Then It went all good again and stayed for a while until I added new SSD and installed Windows and moved to that SSD as my main one. So with new install came a new version of drivers that made things worst. I don't have the ability to swap hardware to check each element. And as I said I think it's soft related. Also from time to time get BSOD video related. And with previous driver version had an issue that sometimes screens goes black and turns black randomly once or couple times while it's turn on. I will try to add more video and pics related to what I get.
Thank you in advance or at least for reading it.

0 Likes
1 Reply
tazmo8448
Adept I

I does seem when the PC transitions from BIOS graphics to desktop graphics with these 'newer' cards that the checkerboard deal pops up. I've had for me a new RX 580 and am starting to see that occasionally myself. It never happened with the older 6xxx or 7xxx or even the R9 Series cards. Whether it is the newer graphics drivers or the cards themselves no one seems to know but it does happen for sure. When it does there is a pulsating phenomena seen so I am of the impression it is the card itself. The old standby is to reset the GPU via Win+Ctrl+Shift+B which gives you an audible beep or two. Odd that AMD or anyone else with one seems to not know.

0 Likes