cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

shadowrx
Journeyman III

RX460 Sound Crackling over HDMI on both Win10 (Adrenalin 19.4.3) and Ubuntu 19.04 (amdgpu driver)

Hello,

I have a rather annoying problem with my system sound over HDMI.

Here is my system specification if needed:

MB: ASUS Prime x299-deluxe

CPU: intel skylake-x 7820x

RAM: G.Skill Ripjaw V DDR4 4x8GB @ 2400MHz

GPU: AMD RX460 2GB

H.D.D.: Toshiba p300 1TB

PSU: Cooler master v750

The system is connected to my LG LED TV over HDMI.

I have both Windows 10 (with latest updates) and Ubuntu 19.04 dual-booted.

The problem is that the sound crackles every now and then on both operating systems.

This crackling is most noticeable on the speaker test section of each OS.

I have already tried disabling on-board realtek audio chip with no luck. Tried every solution proposed over internet and nothing seems to work. I have also tested the system with another TV (SONY LCD TV) available in my house.

Finally I have came to a thread that was describing a similar problem and its provided solution fixed this crackling on windows 10.

1- Enabling power efficiency on global setting: this considerably reduced the crackling but not completely.

2- Changing minimum state to state 1 on global wattman setting: This totally fixed the crackling.

Even modifying state 1 frequency to 214Mhz (state 0 frequency) seems to be OK and doesn't cause crackling.

It seems that the state 0 which can't be modified by users has some stability problems.

Is AMD aware of such a problem with their gpu driver?

Meanwhile I'm not able to fix this problem on Ubuntu as there is no GUI for amdgpu driver.

Regards,

D. Khazaei

0 Likes
1 Reply
shadowrx
Journeyman III

It has been 2 days since I posted my question, but it sill says:

Please note: your content was added successfully, but a moderator needs to approve it before it can be posted.

How many days does it usually take for a moderator to approve my question?

0 Likes