Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics

Challenger
Challenger

RX Vega 64 Black Screen Bug - Windows 10

Jump to solution

This sort of stems from my previous thread, though is much more conclusive as I've confirmed a few things.

Basically, I have a reference Vega 64 that works fine on 2 Windows 10 machines, but not on another. I suspect that there may be a bug that exists between AMD drivers and a more recent Windows 10 update but I haven't been able to pinpoint the cause. The problem occurs as the card starts to render 3D but I've also had it happen by simply watching videos on YouTube. The screen goes black and then a few seconds later the GPU fan spins down and the entire system locks up, prompting a hard restart. Not good.

This happens whether I am overclocking or not, doesn't matter which game, is present with benching software and I've just recently updated my motherboard's BIOS. Still occurs. Here's the rest of the specs:

AMD Ryzen 1700

ASRock X370 Professional Gaming

G.Skill FlareX DDR4 3200

Seasonic X-850 PSU

Windows 10 Pro

Now, I've tried a Polaris card in the above system also and it works just fine, so the problem is specific to the Vega card, but not with application or driver version or card settings (I've played around with all of it at this point). I was going to RMA the card at first but the fact that the card works fine in two other machines has deterred me from doing so. Here's my other Ryzen computer in which the Vega 64 works absolutely fine, no matter how hard I hammer on it; never crashes.

AMD Ryzen 1500X

MSI B350 Tomahawk Arctic

Corsair Dominator DDR4 3200

Corsair RMX 850 PSU

Windows 10 Pro

I can also run 3D benchmark software on this machine as much as I want and not worry at all about potential issues. The Vega card also runs fine in another system with Slightly older Intel Haswell hardware and a Z87 based motherboard. No issues on that configuration either but no matter what it crashes on the X370 board, while Polaris does not.

I am thinking of doing a fresh install of Windows 10 to rule out any OS update-related bugs, but I've been holding off mainly because I don't have the time to do so at the moment. Can anyone suggest something to try? Event viewer doesn't really show much in terms of actual root causes but it does say that the AMD driver crashed but then recovered.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Adept I
Adept I

Re: RX Vega 64 Black Screen Bug - Windows 10

Jump to solution

Just saw your thread - the symptoms you described are consistent with a problem with supplying Vega with enough power.

Some PSU manuals explicitly say to use separate cables for graphics cards which have 2+ connectors - i.e. don't daisy chain, even though it's tempting as most VGA cables are fitted with two connectors at the graphics card end and it looks neater than running a second cable alongside. Some PSUs have more than one 12V rail, and for these it's best to split the GPU load across two rails by using separate cables (sometimes it's a must to avoid overloading a single rail).

While in theory the connectors are rated to handle enough current, in practice it will vary due to manufacturing tolerances/defects and the actual build itself. It's possible to OC Vega to power levels that can expose a weak cable/connector, so I say it's essential to run two separate power cables to it.

View solution in original post

48 Replies
Adept II
Adept II

Jump to solution

Greetings, I had a similar, yet different issue with my Xfire Vega setup after updating my Windows 10 to the latest Creators Fall Update. While installing drivers the system completely locked up with a solid black screen - rebooted later and the driver installation wasn't successfull. Long story short, in the end I had to do a fresh installation of Windows 10 to slowly get things back to a working condition.

Have you tried DDU in save mode, deleting any drivers and displays? I am using a similar setup as you do, same mainboard (Asrock Fatality Professional), 1800x, but using a BeQuiet! 850W PSU and different RAM. None of my cards, be it single or in Xfire mode give me black screens ever since. The 17.12.x line in particular finally seems to be much more reliable with that damn Fall Creators Update than the initial 17.10.x release. Prior that FCU, everything was fine.

0 Kudos
Big Boss
Big Boss

Jump to solution

I have several disks so i can test clean installs and i suggest doing that to narrow down problems\

0 Kudos
Elite
Elite

Jump to solution

I have the same problem with my Vega 64 LC i made a post about it on the driver section of the forum  called

RX Vega64 Liquid -- Possible HBM2 Downclocking / Upclocking / Black-Screen issue

To be short i have to lock my frequency of the HBM in order to function correctly .. all the Frequency states of the memory are stable but the system can't use the dynamic switching of those frequency ..

if i set it locked with Wattman on 500 or 945mhz the system is rock stable.. Maybe this helps you to ?

0 Kudos
Challenger
Challenger

Jump to solution

Yes, I think I've reached that point as well. I am prepping to do a clean install soon and I have another Vega 64 on the way to test out.

Generally, when I can't get drivers to install or uninstall normally I always use the latest DDU in safe mode because I know it works well. Unfortunately, it was not really helping with this particular problem (no matter which drivers) so my eyes turned to the card itself being defective. However, seeing it work just fine in the other machines raised some suspicion with the OS.

Thanks for the input!

0 Kudos
Challenger
Challenger

Jump to solution

Similar scenario except I can basically promise that my card would crash just seconds under any kind of load. The first time I experienced the crash was with the first release of the Adrenalin drivers; before that (even after the Fall Creator's Update) everything was just fine. I'm not certain if there's an OS bug that exists when the system upgrades but I suppose it's plenty possible.

I am doing a clean install soon so I would suggest doing the same on a spare drive just to see if your card behaves differently.

0 Kudos
Elite
Elite

Jump to solution

with 17.12.2 i tried default setting on wattman .., started starcraft2 and 7 seconds in the menu i got a blackscreen crash..

already did a windows reinstall didn't help.. so i'm not really into doing another reinstall of windows, that can't be the issue.

I also have the same as you when i install another Graphics card (Fury) i got no problems at all.. and i think that when you uninstall the Crimson/adrenaline driver and after that use DDU that should be more then enough .. if windows is corrupted somehow then it should crash with other vga cards as well.

maybe you can try to set your memory state 4 as min/maximum state (945mhz) see what it does. ?

0 Kudos
Challenger
Challenger

Jump to solution

wish someone at AMD could look into it.. Vega is too expensive to have any issues like this. I don't understand why my other Ryzen computer doesn't show the same issue but I am frustrated with the other one. I'm still going to see if a clean install helps my case.

0 Kudos
Elite
Elite

Jump to solution

sure m8, reply if it fixes anything for you please

0 Kudos
Forerunner
Forerunner

Jump to solution

Are you using the same DP cable? I had black screen issues when I tried a new displayport cable. I reverted back to the old one that came with the monitor and it worked fine ever since.

0 Kudos