cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics

daniel91
Adept II

RX Vega 56 Low GPU Usage in some games

Hello, im new here and im dying for some solid advice since i've tried everything i could..

last week i purchaced an RX vega 56 OC edition (air boost), and started playing my games. i have a 144Hz monitor with freesync enabled in both Catalyst and my monitor, and i noticed my fps is terrible at some points and my game stutters all  over the place. i started monitoring my performance, and ive see that in almost ALL  my games (for example, BO4, BF 5,Witcher 3, Farcry 5) my gpu usage can drop all the way down to 50-60% causing a HUGE  fps drop leading to terrible stutter.

my CPU is not the weak point, i have an i7 7700 (which never reaches 100% and stays cool), 16 GB of 2400 speed ram and a 850W PSU.

all i want is for my new card to work at  its maximum potential REGARDLESS of what graphic setting i choose. im reaching for 144 fps in all my games, and these low usages are not helpping me what so ever.

please,im dying for some solid advice!

*i have the most recent bios and GPU drivers aswell

Message was edited by: Matt B

Edit title

75 Replies
elstaci
MVP

Re: Horrible GPU usage!

Many Users with the RX Vegas needed to configure the GPU cards using AMD Wattman to prevent crashes or very poor perfomance.

Other Users will need to show you how to properly configure Wattman with your Vega GPU Card.

0 Likes
daniel91
Adept II

I know how to play around wattman, but my gpu works great WHEN it is fully utilizing. the problem isnt performance  the problem is that it simply wont stay at 90-100% utilization at all the games stated above.

nothing in wattman changed this, sure when the utilization was 99-100% i had more frames and much better performance, but it did not change anything regarding the over-time utilization of the gpu.

0 Likes
elstaci
MVP

Hopefully a User(s) here with the same GPU can offer better advice. I don't have a RX Vega but was just stating the problems other Users here have posted concerning the RX Vega GPUs.

pokester
MVP

Sounds like it is throttling. This is likely a power ceiling issue, very common on many flavors of AMD cards. In Wattman slide the " Power Limit " slider all the way to it's maximum. See if that doesn't help your issue.

daniel91
Adept II

I tried all sort of options, it seems that in some games i simply cannot hold as stable utilization. and what could be throttling? i belive my temps are fine on everything since i monitor them non stop. again, some games use near 100% at all times, but MANY games simply dont utilize the card constantly causing my fps my stutter all of the place...

0 Likes
Matt_AMD
Community Manager
Community Manager

Can you provide a bit more information? For example, what temperature is the GPU reaching under load?

What frequency is the GPU clock speed running at?

What temperature is your CPU hitting?

What OS are you using? Is it up to date?

What AMD driver are you using?

what in game image quality settings are you using?

Have you setup an application profiles or FPS caps in Radeon Settings or using other software?

Have you enabl;ed Vsync in game?

In the meantime i would suggest setting the GPU Power Limit to +50% in Wattman and then click Apply.

daniel91
Adept II

gpu under load (after puttin 50% and undervolting a bit) 74 celcius, CPU hitting max 60 , windwos 10 pro 64 bit with latest AMD drivers. Vsync is always off.

it doesnt matter what i do in wattman, i have achieved an incredibly efficient wattman profile where i get huge performance increase and lower temps than turbo mode.

in some games where i have cosntant near 100% utilization its working amazingly smooth with insane FPS, but in MOST  games my GPU simply drops usage with the frames im gettin. i dont know what to do. (again, games like black ops 4, battlefield 5, farcry 5, destiny 2).

my CPU  usage never reaches 100% so i doubt its a bottleneck ( i7 7700)

0 Likes
trollberserk
Adept I

Hi,

I have the same problem with RX 580 8Go, I try all the thing here and voltage are good, they don't move during gaming but GPU usage drop from 90%-100% to 60% in many game. I don't know what to do

My RIG:
Ryzen 7 1700 3.7Ghz
16 Go ram
RX 580 8Go
Win 10 64 bit

daniel91
Adept II

i tried everything man spent a ton of money on this card and a proper PSU for it.. ending up only using about half of it most the time since this problem.. i hope somebody can help us

0 Likes