cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

HHH03
Adept III

RX 7900 XTX low performance

I recently bought a RX 7900 XT from Micro Center. Then a RX 7900 XTX became available and I got that version. Both cards are Reference models. To my surprise, the XTX didn’t perform better than the XT… even slightly worse. I have the latest driver 23.2.2. 
Lenovo P620, Threadripper Pro 3945 WX, 1000W power supply.  

38 Replies
94swick
Journeyman III

7900 XT for me. been trying to figure out what the hell is wrong with this card. timespy is 1500 pts low, furmark is 3000 pts low, and the FPS is comparable to a 6800XT.

0 Likes

I lost 9.3% average Combined Score in 3D Mark Pro at 4K 2 X MSAA to the new drivers...

RX 7900 XTX...

I think when the 6900 came out, similar problems would happen. People would have  to wait for next driver update and then the problem would be fixed. People would have to find the right updates or they had issues with GPU

0 Likes

I bought a 7900XT at Micro Center and it worked fairly well... not as good as I hoped.  Then they had a 7900XTX available... I returned it to get that one.  Unfortunately, it was an open box, but I did get a discount for that.  Gave it a try and it performed worse than the 7900XT.  AMD store finally had the 7900XTX available again, bought it and returned the open box to Micro Center.  I definitely noticed the PC 7900XTX throttling when doing benchmarks.  It crashed my computer twice, caused a BIOS error on first boot... so I guess I understand why it was an Open Box item.  Hopefully, the AMD version has all its issues fixed now.  I'll know next week.  

0 Likes

The only suggestion I would make is to make sure you're using two separate power cables from your PSU, not a splitter. Also, use GPU-Z to make sure it's operating inf PCIe 4.0 mode.

I was using two separate PCIe 8 pin power feeds and CPU-Z did report PCIe 4.0 speed. 

Alficul
Adept I

So.... after the update even slightly worse , some of the software like windows movie maker , freezes when trying to trim the video , in games we lost performance (BF2042 from ~200fps down to 140 sometimes to 100 , R6 Siege from 450 to 350 sometimes goes to 120 and the list goes on) but some of the stuttering went away . My opinion, but not from the point of view regarding as a top videocard  but as as simple video card this is not functional , this is a beta product , AMD please can I sell you back this card for half of the price I paid (1500euro)  so I can get back my old pc runinng . RLY is there any way  ?

My configuration is

7900 XTX

Motherboard Aorus Elite AX z590

CPU 11900k

Hyperx 3600Mhz

Nvme M2  XPG or Samsung (I try to move the games and apps)

PSU 1000w Corsair Gold

Display Alienware aw2723df

No OC is done , I tried everything with oc , without , disable feature like sam , above 4g decoding , updating and downgrade of bios . Windows 11 and back to win 10 .

0 Likes

I don’t know if it’s the AMD video driver or it’s Windows itself… I’ve definitely noticed after uninstalling the 23.2.2 driver, my NVMe performance is degrading by 25%!  I haven’t found a solution other than reinstalling Windows. Perhaps your issues is related to the problem I’ve encountered… 

0 Likes

There's something going on, my NVME write degraded 50%, still haven't figured it out, Is it Windows or AMD chipset drivers?

0 Likes

Hello,

So yes , there are some problems with samsung nvme , just search youtube you will find some videos(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoAFzdz0h5M&t=9s&ab_channel=JayzTwoCents) I hope I don't brake any rules for posting this. Now regarding the problems I ecounter with this card is not related with the config because I just had a 3080 before and worked perfect .  I also tested on xpg nvme because the os is install on 1TB Samsung nvme (after 4 moths still 100% life) and I have 2x 1TB Nvme of XPG Gaming something and there was no difference . I just notice that if you install the old  way the video card , like going to device manager and update from there without of AMD software the stuttering goes away but you have less performance . 

After the latest update I just fresh  reinstalled the OS without any tunning or reinstalling the drivers , like everything  clean and there is some improvement.

Please keep in mind I already did this like 4 time before but not with this driver .

I will update if they managed to fix or improve something .

News,

I have some updates , I just installed windows 11 because the new AMD driver corupted my OS.

Thank you so much AMD , I just search if someone has this problems , yup , lots of people .

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/90601/amd-confirms-that-rare-radeon-driver-bug-can-brick-your-windows... 

I am not suprised that none will buy my video card , even almost half the price 60%  , only after 2-3 months of using it.

This is your graphics card flagship , AMD could of won at least 70% of the gaming community with a normal product like if this was equal to the 4080 a lot of people would have purchased this card insted of nvidia because of that pin connector issue , it was very simple , we did not care if you are not able to compete with 4090 .

This is my last comment , I will not post here , I will remove this card and maybe someone will buy it instead I will go back to the green world .

The sad part in my country (Romania) if the  testing goes well like  3dmark and furmark you will not get refund even if you send all this stuff and errors that ocur they blame the vendor that created the game , from their perspective no issue with the product .

Hope your problems will get solved , from my experience this was a scam because this product is not finished .

All the best !

0 Likes

Sorry to hear that. All PC products have bugs\known issues in drivers. There are millions of configurations they have to work with. The link you provided, that has nothing to do with nvme performance. If you do a factory reset, it will not just remove the graphic drivers, but also the chipset drivers so on restart, the system couldn't boot. The workaround is to not do a factory reset when you install the driver. AMD is working on a fix.

I think you should give it a bit more time before giving up.

0 Likes

I got my new RX 7900 XTX today... it definitely runs better than the previous card.  It doesn't run hot at all... which the other card was experiencing.  

I use Passmark’s software for benchmarking my computer.  I’ve discovered doing each video test separately can increase your scores immensely. The monitor refresh rate is key in doing these video benchmarks. Using 60Hz for the DirectX 9, 10 and 11 tests will give you the best results. Using your maximum refresh rate on DirectX 12 will give you the best score… at least with my 1920x1080p monitor. The last test, GPU Compute… using the lowest refresh rate will give you the highest score. 
Personally the monitor’s refresh rate shouldn’t affect test results so much, but it does and if you’re using Passmark’s or Userbenchmark’s benchmark software, the monitor’s refresh rate will definitely effect your score significantly. 

0 Likes

I had definitely figured the primary cause  of my NVMe hardware slowdown.  Using any of the Windows 11 insider builds… Beta, Dev and Canary all effect NVMe read/write performance by 20%. I originally did a clean install and tested my drive and it was great. I then went to the Beta build and… 20% slowdown occurred. I attempted to upgrade to Dev (now Canary) and it failed to install. I did a “clean install” (USB) of Dev and it installed properly. The same NVMe performance loss was present. I returned to Build 22H2, updated everything and NVMe performance was great again. 
I mention this as whatever is effecting NVMe is effecting the PCIe lanes… GPU’s and NVMe are PCIe devices and would experience loss of performance. 

I wonder if you upgraded  CPU if the problem would fix...Its a very good cpu, but maybe ?

0 Likes

I still stand by this!!!

0 Likes
Hybridgeek64
Adept I

I'm having the same issue 3d mark score of 7500 running 1920x1080 My nvidia 2080 ti is clocking much faster.  I rolled back all the drivers and still same issue.  My 1st time buying an AMD card and starting to regret it.  Also did comparsion benchmarks with heaven and a few more and with all it performed considerably lower than my rtx 2080 ti.  

This is not what someone would typically expect. 

Information Required When Posting a Discussion - AMD Community

Once we have that we can start trying to help you. 

Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi, Corsair DOMINATOR® TITANIUM RGB 2x16GB DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT, Corsair HX Series™ HX1000, Corsair MP600 PRO NH 4TB

• AMD Graphics Card Make & Model  AMD RX 7900 xtx Merc 310 Black Edition
  • Desktop Windows 11 64bit OS Build 22621.1413
  • Driver version installed
    • Radeon Software Adrenaline 23.3.1
    • CPU AMD Threadripper 3960x
    • 128gb Ram corsair Vengence RGB PRO
    • Motherboard Zenith Extreme Alpha II Bios Ver 1603
    • PU Thor 1600 watts

What are your GPU and Hotspot temps?

Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi, Corsair DOMINATOR® TITANIUM RGB 2x16GB DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT, Corsair HX Series™ HX1000, Corsair MP600 PRO NH 4TB
0 Likes

mid-60/80 max. But then again I have 5  case fans and a GPU fan, my case cooling is very efficient and changing the fan curve works too, the card cooling is excellent.

I figured something though, my motherboard is garbage, both CPI_E1 slot and the BIOS are causing a lot of trouble, this GPU is excellent, it has a lot of potential as it demonstrated during the tests I conducted in January when I first installed it.

Since I had different drivers and the issues with PCI_E slot and BIOS creeped in I can't really tell which part of the loss can be attributed to the AMD driver, but they certainly don't help performances.

Win 11Pro. Corsair RM1000X PSU. MSI MEG X570S ACE MAX, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3D, Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX Nitro+ Vapor-X 24GB GDDR6., 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 64GB (4 x 16GB) RAM Cl14 DDR4 3600, Thrustmaster HOTAS WARTHOG Thrustmaster, TWCS Throttle, PICO 4 256GB.

The MSI MEG X570S ACE MAX will soon be replaced by an Asus TUF X570

0 Likes
cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

What hardware are you running?

0 Likes
cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

My bad I missed the part where you literally posted your setup.

0 Likes

@unboxthebox I just want to iterate that I am by no means a representative of AMD, or employed by the company. I just do my best to make sure the forums don't get toxic, no one is harassed, and spam is dealt with. 

My posts and ideas to help fix issues are all based on things that I have seen work in the past. That being said I will continue to help when I have sufficient experience with bugs and the work arounds to fix them. 

For bugs that haven't been fixed, I stand by the idea that the best thing that can be done is report them using the bug report tool and contacting AMD via their support page at the bottom where it says "Need more help?". 

0 Likes

• AMD Graphics Card Make & Model  AMD RX 7900 xtx Merc 310 Black Edition
  • Desktop Windows 11 64bit OS Build 22621.1413
  • Driver version installed
    • Radeon Software Adrenaline 23.3.1
    • CPU AMD Threadripper 3960x
    • 128gb Ram corsair Vengence RGB PRO
    • Motherboard Zenith Extreme Alpha II Bios Ver 1603
    • PU Thor 1600 watts
0 Likes
HHH03
Adept III

Since I started this thread, I should end it with the my final outcome.  I had an issue from the very first day I bought the AMD RX 7900 XTX of the Led Lighting program failing to find the video card. Reseating the card would fix it for a day or two, then it failed again multiple times. I used different PCIe slots and made no difference.  I requested an RMA and chose to get a refund. 
The issues I’ve encountered with AMD graphic cards is unfamiliar territory for myself… I’ve used Nvidia cards for the last 20 years and haven’t had many issues. I’ve decided to return to using them. 
I’ve seen very impressive benchmarking scores for the RX 7900 XTX and why my computer wasn’t able to get it to perform well is a mystery. Good luck everyone!

Sorry AMD , but like I wrote before this is the biggest scam you could of pulled .

I bought the 4090 I did not had any time to install it . The xtx is almost a 3090TI not near close to a 4080 maybe a 4070TI

0 Likes

Benchmarks would say you're wrong unless you've fallen for the RTX gimping scam.

0 Likes

Everyone got mad at AMD last time when they did the more expensive models which competed better and now people get mad when they did a more affordable price point. Reality is no one will always be happy. It is pretty awesome to get a Super powerful new GPU at $800. The 4090 costs double... The benchmarks i saw indicate the 7900XTX is comparable to the 4080....Everyone has preference. Definitely a good conversation to have cost v performance. I just think that most of this is silly as I have an older PC and it still plays all games. 

0 Likes

I had 2 crossfire configs until rtx 3000 series . AMD in the past, now  and I am sure in the future will deliver a better graphic quality , even with 7900xtx . But this time , this graphic card is not stable this is the top of my problems and please do not blame it on the OS , I have about 20 years on infrastructure IT Design . I am running now on nvidia and comparing it with amd the quality is **bleep** but is stable . As per desicion I made take in consideration that I  work and sometime game with the guys from EA and Ubisoft , they warned me about it and I still bought it . Again it is not the price , I was a big fan of AMD cards but it is more comfy with the green world. Have a nice day and a great time , cheers!

0 Likes

I must add another twist to this story... I can't prove if it's true or not.  Was the low performance I was experiencing caused from CPU bottlenecking?  More specifically, not having a 4K monitor might have been the real culprit?  I did try a RTX 4080 FE Nvidia GPU and it did perform slightly better than the RX 7900 XTX... but not by much and in many tests actually performed worse than the RX 7900XTX.  

I used PC Builds Bottleneck Calculator with my information using my CPU Threadripper Pro 3945WX and different video cards and monitor resolutions.  With the RX 7900XTX and a 1080P monitor, the CPU bottleneck is 37%!  Change the monitor to a 4K one and all of a sudden, the CPU bottleneck is now at .4%... a perfect match. 

This is merely a simulation, and I currently don't have a 4K monitor to test this.  But this does explain my frustration concerning these fast video cards and my poor benchmarking results.  Hopefully someone can verily if monitor resolution does affect PC performance.  

Hello, in my case the performance was not affected by the display  , but ofcourse the fps will drop  if you switch from fullhd to 2k to 4k .

I have 2 displays , 1 Alienware 240Hz Freesync Premium Pro and a 4k Sony 120Hz. I lost in Forza Horizon 5 about  40 FPS from 2k to 4k and in Warzone about 50 FPS . 

I tried this card on 3 configurations 1 with i5 10600k and the second that I own with i9 11900k and AMD 5600x .

In some games the i5 was way better then the i9 and I did some research regarding the cores and cpu freq , temps , etc , another world with more issues ..... but bottlenecking no , no difference between any generation of cpu that run on DDR4 . I sold my card (7900xtx) to one of my friends and he has DDR5 with 7800x3D and yup the card runs at a higher frame rate , but regarding the stability he does not care , the same issues that I wrote before . He only plays one of my games that I had some problems .

But I confirm that in results the 7900 xtx was way better then the 4080 but never close with the performance in games . The 4080 has  0 stuttering in most of the games I played compared with the 7900 xtx , just watch some clips on youtube regarding stuttering .

Have a great day .

0 Likes

I think he was trying to say that 7900 xtx had great benchmark results, but that benchmark performance did not translate to performance in games. I have found the same thing as well. To get reported benchmark performance in a game, a lot of things must be disabled. I suspect some game graphics options really favor nvidia. So personal experience is that benchmarks make it seem like AMD should out perform nvidia by a wider margin in games.

0 Likes
Alficul
Adept I

Forgot to add , I paid in december for the 7900 xtx  when it was available in my country 1500 euro and sold it for 800 euros , 700 euros lost in 4 months and now I spent another 1000 euros in total of  1800 euros for this one .

In the past I want to go over the 1080ti and had a crossfire between the rx 590 from sapphire and it was a great experience . Don't even consider that I bought the AMD because it was cheap , only that I want the quality , if you read even back in the tread you will se that I upgraded my psu (from 850w asus rog strix to corsair 1000w gold ) refusing to consider that the problem was with the gpu , even took in cosideration to go to AM5 7800x3d but I need the cpu virtual specs to work and the amd is far so there you go . Maybe in the future it will be more compatible with my needs

0 Likes

Everybody's experience is different. Of course do what is best for you! I am glad you figured it out. 

0 Likes
HHH03
Adept III

I decided to update my adventure with graphics cards and monitors... I have returned to the RX 7900 XTX because of two primary reasons.  1. The size of the RX 4080 was very big, I couldn't put on the computer side cover with the 12VHPWR PCIe 5.0 power adaptor.  2.) $200 more in price.  

I also purchased a new 28 " 4K monitor... ACER XV282K KV 144 Hertz which isn't perfect but does give a great 4K experience.  

I'm not a gamer but I do benchmarks... I used Passmark's newest version V11 build 1001.  I used AMD's "Auto Detect and Install" app and it offered the "AMD Software: Pro Edition version 23 Q1.1."  This leads me to another conclusion... This driver performs much better than the Adrenalin 23.4.3, at least with Passmark's 3D benchmark test.  Also, using Microsoft's DirectX updater helped with scores.  

How much you might ask... On the Passmark 3D Mark DirectX 12 test it was 60 fps higher on average!!!  I tried the Adrenalin 23.4.3 driver and the results dropped by 60 fps... I'd say there's a lot of room for driver development in the future. 

Also, if you use the Microsoft DirectX updater, Passmark's 3D Mark DirectX 11 test will be much higher with the RX 7900 XTX than anything the Nvidia RTX 4080 can muster regardless of monitor size.  

Perhaps the Adrenalin 23.4.3 is better with games... IDK.  I do know the Pro Edition is better with the Passmark benchmark test.  

0 Likes
K33pSm1l1ng
Journeyman III

Nvm

0 Likes