cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

Emkay
Adept I

RX 7900 xtx idle temps... weird issue. fix needed for this. (updated)

hello everyone,

a few days ago i bought a 7900 xtx which is really a great gpu! happy with it so far!

i have a certain issue with this card, idk what is causing this, but my idle watt usage is around 80 watts, which is not normal.
ive seen some reports that this issue is now fixxed, but its not. at least not for 240hz monitors.
i tried also to change my monitors blanking, but it did not work.

HOWEVER, if i lower my monitors refresh rate from 240 to 144hz, the idle power draw drops from 80 watts to 30 watts.
i am using a single monitor setup.
also the vram speed doesnt clock down, it stays constant on 2478 mhz, no matter what i am doing.
i dont think that this behavior is normal.

in my honest opinion, this issue should not even exist. sorry.Picture 2Picture 2

Picture 1Picture 1

i have uploaded 2 images showing the power draw etc with the current resolution and so on.
changing from 10bit to 8bit did not change anything.

1 Solution
Emkay
Adept I

okay ive found a temporary solution. enabling freesync fixed the issue somewhat.
now with freesync enabled the vram clocks go down as they supposed to. idle power draw dropped also significant, it is still quite high compared to what i am used to, but 60 watts is okay in my honest opinion.

if you have a freesync compatible monitor, try using it. maybe, it fixes your power draw issue when the gpu is idle.
it also dropped gpu core temp and gpu hotspot temperature by a few degree when idling.
it makes sense, so freesync is also working on desktop mode, which is a nice feature.

since freesync or gsync disabled automatically when the spectrum is not hit, it should not be an issue for games like valorant and cs go.
or you can create per game base settings in adrenalin software to have freesync on or off.

picture 1.png

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Emkay
Adept I

okay ive found a temporary solution. enabling freesync fixed the issue somewhat.
now with freesync enabled the vram clocks go down as they supposed to. idle power draw dropped also significant, it is still quite high compared to what i am used to, but 60 watts is okay in my honest opinion.

if you have a freesync compatible monitor, try using it. maybe, it fixes your power draw issue when the gpu is idle.
it also dropped gpu core temp and gpu hotspot temperature by a few degree when idling.
it makes sense, so freesync is also working on desktop mode, which is a nice feature.

since freesync or gsync disabled automatically when the spectrum is not hit, it should not be an issue for games like valorant and cs go.
or you can create per game base settings in adrenalin software to have freesync on or off.

picture 1.png