cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

Dataless
Adept I

RX 6950 XT Causing black screen

Hello, I recently got a new 6950 XT reference edition, however I'm having issues where it causes blackscreens. It happens immediately upon trying to open any game, even older ones that don't require much GPU power (Starcraft 2 etc). I used DDU in safe mode with no internet to uninstall my old NVidia drivers, did the shutdown, swapped cards, booted back up and installed the new AMD driver. Important things to note:

The crash happens on stock clocks. I went into the advanced settings, downclocked the frequency and the power consumption to both 90% and noticed I could play games for 'a couple of minutes' before getting the same black screen, so I don't think it's drivers related at that point.

What I'm running:

12900 i9

32 GB of 3600 MHZ ram

6950 XT

1000W Corsair gold rated power supply

Liquid cooler for the i9

RGB lights.

I'm Coming from a 1080 Ti 11GB OC edition btw.

Wondering if this is just a bad card (the fact that it is semi-stable at 90% frequency/power), if my PSU just isn't enough to power everything (What I read online makes me think I should be okay at 1000W) or the card is just a bad card.

TLDR: DDU'd old drivers, etc. Card black screens on default clock upon opening any game. Downclocking and downvolting 10% in AMD's settings, I can open a game for a couple of minutes before it crashes.

Already tried numerous supposed fixes online to no avail, do I need a better PSU or should I be RMA'ing this card? Thanks

Edit: 3600 MHZ ram after checking

8 Replies
Dataless
Adept I

Update: Used DDU to uninstall AMD drivers and go back to my 1080 ti 11 GB OC edition, and it's running fine on full load (streaming LIV playing VR on max settings) so I think that eliminates any driver issue as I did DDU the same way when trying the 6950XT.

So would this sound more like a PSU lack of Watts problem (and how much would I need?) or more like a bad 6950XT? Thanks

0 Likes

That PSU should be more than enough to run the RX 6950. My guess is that the GPU is actually faulty.

0 Likes
Nichronos
Journeyman III

I have the same issue with an Reference 6950 card, have you solved the problem? 

Specs: 5800X3D, 6950XT, 4000Mhz CL16 RAM, ROG Crosshair VIII Impact, ROG XG17 240Hz Monitor

Hey, it ended up being an issue with the power cables. Once I swapped out both VGA power cables with new ones to my PSU (you need to make sure you have 2 separate ones - not one that cherry/chains) card started working perfectly

0 Likes
Axton
Challenger

I'd RMA that card. I also went from a 1080ti to a 6950xt, using a 850W Seasonic power supply. no issues like yours but AMD software is still behind nvidia.  Good luck, and don't settle for anything less than a refund or RMA new gpu.

0 Likes
APmech
Adept II

Before you RMA, if you have xmp enabled in your bios, for troubleshooting, try disabling it and give your games another try.  

0 Likes

Hey, it ended up being an issue with the power cables. Once I swapped out both VGA power cables with new ones to my PSU (you need to make sure you have 2 separate ones - not one that cherry/chains) card started working perfectly

Actually I am facing the exact same problem but I couldn't understood exactly what you did, I have RX470 that has 6pins output, The Power cable is 6pins to two sata, What should I buy

...thank you, I spent a whole week fixing this.

0 Likes