cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

supermattdab0ss
Journeyman III

RX 6900XT: random system crashes and black screens

Basically title. I've tried troubleshooting endlessly and have narrowed it down to the GPU. Basically the issue is I am experiencing random system wide black screens followed by a restart while gaming. I'm confident it's not the PSU, as I've had this issue using both a Corsair SF750, EVGA G3, Cooler Master V850 SFX, and now it persists with an EVGA 850w GM. It's not always a black screen. This most recent crash, it was a bluescreen followed by extreme artifacting on the lower portion of the screen and then a shutdown less than 2 seconds later. I've also had my second monitor go bright green and my system freeze, however not shut down. The most common type of crash though is just a black screen and a forced restart, almost always interrupting my game.

I swapped out a 3070 for this card, which is when the issues started. Recently I got the chance to swap in a 3060 Ti and the issues stopped, which makes me further believe it's the card. Rolling back the drivers does not seem to help, neither does updating them to the latest version.

I've heard of others having this issue on 6800s and even 5700XTs, and was wondering if anybody has any kind of solutions or it's just a problem with the card. I'm about to RMA but am hoping to not have to go down that path.

0 Likes
4 Replies

Recommended minimum psu is 850W, and some of the partner model cards recommend higher.

Also need to use two separate pcie cables.

Did you use DDU to remove all traces of Nv drivers/software.  

Also suggest uninstalling any 3rd party oc/fan control apps. for testing stability.

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..

I am using an 850w EVGA GM right now, using both separate PCIe cables. It's not a PSU issue.

I have used DDU, and reinstalled windows. It still happens.

I have no third party fan control or overclocking apps whatsoever. I'm using an Aquacomputer Octo for fan and pump control of my CPU, but the crashes happen even on a fresh install of windows. I'm 100% confident this is not a temperature issue either, both CPU and GPU stay below 70C.

0 Likes

I recently went through a similar issue with a Sapphire 6800XT similar specs as you. Would get black screens and bluescreens while playing it started out not so bad at first but progressively got worse over the 6 months of owning that card. I recently RMAed the card and so far haven't had the same issues on my replacement.

Matt_AMD
Community Manager

Can you test the GPU on a completely different system with different components? If it happens on another system that meets or exceeds the minimum PSU requirements, then perhaps it is faulty. 

If you do RMA, the place of purchase will test it and confirm if it is indeed faulty. 

0 Likes