Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

verte95
Adept II

RX 6900XT 2000mhz VRAM Clocks at Idle and 144hz WQHD

Hello @Matt_AMD 

Since yesterday i have a RX 6900XT! Its a great card but the VRAM clocks stays always at 144hz always at MAX clocks (2000mhz) 

If i switch to 120hz the vram clocks are normal and much lower (max180mhz)

Is this a problem with the card or a driver issue?

Thanks

Arthur

Thanks

0 Likes
2 Solutions
Matt_AMD
Community Manager

Neither, this is expected behaviour. 

View solution in original post

It comes down to the timings on the individual monitor, the VBLANK timing to be specific. That's why lowering the refresh rate (eg from 144HZ to 120HZ) may reduce the VBLANK timing, allowing the memory clock to enter a lower state. The 6000 series may maintain memory frequency to ensure an optimal user experience. This behaviour is expected and does not impact the 6000 series in any way. 

View solution in original post

6 Replies

If you want support from AMD you would be best to also ask for this here:

https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form

0 Likes
Matt_AMD
Community Manager

Neither, this is expected behaviour. 

Thanks for answering! @Matt_AMD 

I hope this doesn't effect the lifttime of the memory  or the card (continuously max. Clocks and 65 Degree Celsius)

Maybe there will sometimes be a fix, because i think technically it is not necessary that the clocks are 24/7 on idle at Desktop at these Clocks!

Kind regards

Please do not worry, this will not affect the life expectancy of your GPU. :)

That is odd that a card is supposed to stay at max ram speed at idle. I have not seen any card where that is normal in 20 years. 

I do have a friend that got one of these cards. I will be asking him what his card does at idle. 

It comes down to the timings on the individual monitor, the VBLANK timing to be specific. That's why lowering the refresh rate (eg from 144HZ to 120HZ) may reduce the VBLANK timing, allowing the memory clock to enter a lower state. The 6000 series may maintain memory frequency to ensure an optimal user experience. This behaviour is expected and does not impact the 6000 series in any way.