Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

J20Joe
Adept III

RX 6900 XT Stuttering and crashing black screen an re-start

Hi,

Bought a RX 6900 XT from Ebay (used and from a decent seller) and started to see issues, Flickering in most games and restarting the pc very frequently, wondering if anyone has the same issues and a cure?

Ive tried overclocking the GPU and at stock stats and it re-boots. sometimes i can get a stable over clock and run super position bench mark @4k over and over, i can game and then a couple of days later it crashes and i can no longer run the bench mark anymore? i feel like i have tried everything.

Specs:

Sapphire Nitro + RX 6900 XT (has 2 bios modes, quiet and performance, performance crashes often)

Ryzen 5 5600x

Corsair Venegance RGB pro 2 x 8GB 3600MHZ

Evga p2 1000w Plat PSU

AS rock B550M Mboard 

2 x M2 Gen 4 and gen 3

PCIE Riser cable 

Temperatures are very low as it is a closed loop, the guy who i bought it from says he had no issues and has been very helpful so i trust him.

Current OC (stable for 2 days now but i doubt it will last):

350W override

2020MHZ DRAM speed

Fast timing Ram 

PBO +200MHZ - 20 all cores (cinebench R23 ran fine many times)

SAM enabled 

What i have tried:

DDU (done this about 50 times)

Clean install with a NEW SSD of windows 11

ULPS disabled

Power plan set to max 

return to stock settings (not stable)

Tried a couple of previous drivers (worked fine and then flickered)

turned off windows and AMD updates when stable but then after a couple of days it came back 

Disable Free SYNC

updated Mboard bios

To fix the issue i dial the clock speeds to around 2000MHZ and then turn back up, very strange behaviour, when the card works it works and it performs very very well but the constant disappointment when it doesnt work is killing me, its as if i need to turn my pc on and wait 15 mins before any sort of stress for it to work properly.

If you've managed to read all this well done, if you can help that would be much appreciated 

0 Likes
10 Replies

Send it back and get a refund, previous owner probably over maxed  the OC bios and damaged components.

Maybe first (or multiple owners) used it for mining?

Or it could be the elcheapo riser cable ?

Also no guarantee card OC will work the same on your specs (compared to original owner), are you using MPT and fully understand its use ?

Run the card on non OC bios and no ulps/power plan BS (no Tuning tweaks), see how stable it is. 

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..
0 Likes

refund isnt an option unfortunately,

Could well be an elcheapo riser cable, any suggestions for good brands? i thought this from ebay so it could well be this. However i did have a corsair PCIE 3 riser cable before i started to get restarts, so i switched to a PCIE 4.0 cable to get the benefts.

He said he bought it from new and never mined on it, i went inside his house and his office and spoke for a good 10 mins so in my mind i wouldnt invite someone in if i was fobbing them off with a fault card, considering he lives 30 mins away from me.

in terms of MPT i believe i know what im doing, i only changed power limits and set to 350W and 370W so that should be okay, previous owner had it at 375 but im not keen on pushing that hard for what i use it for.

If damaged components would i be seeing it work for a couple of days and then suddenly it wouldnt work?

0 Likes

If damaged components (overheated on prolonged overmaxed use), yes it could start failing on continued high temp uses.

You'll have to run it on the stock non OC bios (the switch, not software change) and see how you go (of course you will probably need to use 22.5.1 for testing), no amd tuning tweaks.

Or you could ask on an overclockers forum as to whether your tuning on your (supposedly stable OS) is OK ??

Overclockers.uk or overclock.net are a couple with dedicated threads.

Once you start OCing don't expect much help from here for troubleshooting, OC forums are where you should ask..

As for riser cable/connection also query that on OC forum.

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..
0 Likes

Thanks for the reply, 

so thats the thing the longer i use it the better, if i run a benchmark when it has just booted up it doesnt seen as stable, when i let it idle for 10 mins then it seems fine. it works under load for long periods of time.

This is the same with stock and OC but i can look into a OC forum, any suggestions for a particular forum for OCing?

0 Likes

I added a couple of OC forums in my previous post.

I would probably start with the UK one first, there's a user well versed with many models OC.

Ran my bench mark again and it's crashing despite running for 10 plus times yesterday, returned to stock settings and it's crashing, see video below 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tvtuvd0kzjckjgk/vid_20220830190617.mp4?dl=0

0 Likes
vialli100
Forerunner

I had a riser cable which caused problems, so I just binned it.. No more problems..

AMD Ryzen 7 3700x, Asus Tuf Gaming RX 6700 XT, Asus TUF Gaming x570 Plus, 32gb G.Skill TZ neo 3600mhz, Samsung 980pro 1tb NVME, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1tb NVME, Lian Li Galahad AIO 240mm, Antec Titanium 1kw.
0 Likes

HI,

Thanks for the comment, were you having the same issues as me in terms of re-starts?

Unfortunately im in a postion where i NEED to use a Riser cable

My GPU is bottom left 

IMG-20220807-WA0003.jpg

0 Likes
CarlosCarrancom
Journeyman III

Always Kernel 41 which is about unexpected power loss. Do u think it still can be the power even tho it has enough wattage? I'm just saying, if it IS the power, why don't I get HDMI or DP signals after the reboots?

0 Likes

Hi,

not sure of your situation but that is the same issue i have, i have not tried changing DP cable or ports, i didnt think that would be a root cause.

Can you explain the issue your having?

0 Likes