Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

Egodeist
Adept I

RX 6900 XT - repeated crashes

Hi everyone,

Getting an ongoing crash , Radeonsoftware.exe is faulting in MSInfo multiple times. Have run a lot of fixes, but keep getting the crash.

If i go into Device Manager, Display Adapters, AMD Radeon EX 6300 XT and then into properties, in the Events tab you can see lots of instances where there is 'Device not started (amdwddmg)'. How do I fix this?

I recently installed a new RX 6900 XT into my system - 

CPU i7-7700K 4.2GHz

RAM: 32GB, PSU 850W Gold

Using an M.2 SSD drive for the game.

Running a 4K monitor with max refresh of 60FPS.

Am getting the following crash - either immediately on reload of save game or in game - usually after 2-5 minutes: screen freezes, screen turns black and then game crashes to desktop.
Also getting intermittent flickering or spots on display (may or may not be related?).

Also noted that in My Documents, a 'rendercapslog.txt' is getting refreshed whenever I run FC6 (not sure if this is normal) but the last entry in that log is always 'Adapter: Microsoft Basic Render Driver'

Computer hardware meets or exceeds recommended settings for Far Cry 6.
Have applied the following fixes to no avail (in no particular order and often multiple times):
Updated windows, updated GPU drivers, run game exe in Admin mode,
Reduced video settings to low, deleted game config file. Run game in full screen, windowed and borderless. Disabled AA.
Uninstalled and reinstalled both game and ubisoft client.
Closed VPN, allowed virus software to ignore game folder.
Disabled overlays for both Ubisoft client and Radeon software.
Verified game files.
Disabled background programs.
Uninstalled HD textures.
Performed W10 system file check.
Deleted windows icon cache (due to desktop icons refreshing often).
Checked DPI - currently set to the recommended 150% (am using a 4K monitor).
Reset to 100% & restarted.
Reset to 150% (recommended) & restarted.
Reran game. There is some flickering of the screen in game & crashed after 20 seconds in game.
Reset to 100% & restarted.
Reran game. Still some flickering of the screen, game crashed after 6 minutes in game.
Reset to 150% (recommended), no reboot.
Reran game, crashed after 41 minutes in game.
Restarted game, crashed on loading save.
Installed CCCleaner and clean registry.
Installed latest windows update.
Rebooted, restarted game, crashed on loading save.
Rolled back Radeon drivers to previous version with clean install.
Installed latest Radeon drivers with clean install.

Still crashing on game reload.

0 Likes
5 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Welcome to the club. Proceed as follows: Download Radeon driver package 21.01.2 and DDD, deactivate Windows Update and network card and set device installation to no, in safe mode with DDD uninstall all graphics, including old NVidea graphics drivers, and monitor drivers, restart, then only the Radeon driver without Install Adrenalin and monitor driver, restart and activate the network card. I use the MSI Afterburner to create the graphics profiles and the Furmark benchmark for testing. Here you can also compare the data of your graphics card with the standard setting of the Radeon graphics driver under GPU-Z Lookup and then make graphics settings. After a crash and restart, Radeon will restore your graphics card to its default settings

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I mean the driver 21.10.2, this is the current driver, older ones are often no longer compatible due to Windows updates!

0 Likes

Hi guys, thanks for the advice. Unfortunately none of the above has fixed my problem, so I have RMA'd the card.

Viktor0731
Journeyman III

Same thing happening to me. Pc freezes, black screen and then if I’m lucky it restarts the pc, if not then I get a corrupted screen full of lines and artifacts, restarting the pc fixes the issue but then the driver disappears. 
its just not acceptable for such an expensive product. Im going to RMA this one too.

0 Likes
xihena1335
Journeyman III

Ann Taylor Return Policy: Be aware that the Ann Taylor Refund Policy makes it easy to return the product you’re not happy …  

Altar’d State Return Policy: is a well-known women’s fashion store that provides fashionable clothing, accessories, and other gifts.  But, at …

0 Likes