Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

SirStussy
Journeyman III

RX 6800XT bad performance in Wolcen

Hello

I switched from a relatively old graphics card (GTX 1060 6 GB) to the AMD 6800xt.

I play in UWQHD 3440x1440 in 21: 9. Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of FPS in the game because of the much more powerful graphics card.

After a little googling, I found that tests of the GraKa (e.g. PCGH) also showed that Wolcen couldn't handle it and that the new card sometimes has less FPS than the older 5700xt.

Is there perhaps a solution about some settings that I don't know or is there at least Wolcen contacting AMD so that the problem can be solved on some side?

I would be very happy to hear from you.

Many greetings
Markus

PS: Sorry, my english is not very good

0 Likes
10 Replies
Thanny
Miniboss

I have no first-hand information about that game, but judging from the hardware requirements on its Steam page, you don't need a lot of graphics power to run it.

Whatever performance level you're at is very likely to be limited by your CPU.

You'll need to provide more details about performance (frame rates), other hardware, and hardware usage (CPU per-thread usage, as shown in Process Explorer and GPU usage).

0 Likes

Hello!

I have a i7 6700K with 4.00 GHZ and 32 GB RAM.

I have only 31 FPS!
The GPU-workload is only 70%, GPU-VRAM-workload only 16%
The CPU-worload is only 60%
RAM used 8GB, (a total of 32G)

Zwischenablage01.jpg

The 6800xt is braked somehow....

Doas anyone have a tip?

Thanks, Markus

0 Likes

It very much looks like you're being held back by your CPU.  60% usage doesn't mean you're not CPU-bound.  In Windows, CPU usage is reported in such a way that 100% means full usage of all logical processors.  In your case, that means 12.5% per logical processor, as you have four cores and SMT.  A figure of 60% means all four cores are being loaded fully, with a bit extra due to SMT.

The only way you're going to increase performance is with a faster CPU.  If you get a better cooler and overclock what you have to 4.4GHz, you'd get roughly 10% more performance.  To do much better than that, you'll need to upgrade your platform to one that supports more than four cores.

0 Likes

A friend of mine has the same CPU with 4 GHZ and has double the FPS with the RTX 3080. The RTX 3080 is actually not that much better, so it is somehow due to the way the 6800XT handles Wolven.

0 Likes

hi, i used to have an i7 6700k but with an 980ti

i suggest using DDU to uninstall all your display drivers amd and nvidia. 

followed by optimizing your windows for your system

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlMqdSiGcOg&list=WL&index=1

reinstall driver for 6800xt and then optimize your graphics card

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvtInjgt2fU

if you choose to follow the above steps, please do a back up first before proceeding.

hope this works for you.

0 Likes

i have a 6900xt and its the same... i guess its the game

0 Likes
rainingtacco
Challenger

What's your CPU? Wolcen is on crysis engine, which runs poorly on AMD because their driver overhead suck so bad. It's not your fault, it's the GPU and its drivers.

It's really bad that reviewers or AMD doesn't provide this information to customers, and it's bad that customers don't do their research. It's a well known issue with AMD and DX11 games. Don't buy AMD if you plan to play DX11 games!

0 Likes
xlox
Forerunner

hi , have you tried to raise min frequency in wattman?

0 Likes

me, yes i tryed all sort of things.... its not just wolcen, for example lost ark behaves the same way poor poor performance.

i have a 2700x cpu + 16gb 3200 cl14

0 Likes

mmh ok , did have big fps drops in 'prey' , raising min freq did solve the issue for me , apparently it's the case with some games

0 Likes