cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

kuba1410
Adept I

Rx 6800 XT works on secondary PCI-E slot, but not primary.

As in title. The card won't even light up and fans won't start spinning on primary PCI-E slot.

Motherboard: x570 MSI Gaming Plus

Steps tried: multiple attempts to reseat the card (including taking off CPU cooler to makes sure the latch is properly closed), updated MoBo BIOS to latest beta version, changed PCI gen in bios to 3.0 and PCI-E lanes from 16x to 8x+8x. Tried older card on primary port (worked without any problems).

0 Likes
1 Solution

Took the card to a local repair shop, worked without a hitch on their sysytem. Bought Asus x570 TUF Gaming. Just finished migrating my system - worked on first attempt. It must have been the mobo.

View solution in original post

11 Replies

Do you mean no activity when you boot into Windows?
Do you get any display output at all? 
Need your full system specs. 
What was yoir older card. 
Did you set to boot off UEFI BIOS?

If you can get display output from the secondary slot but not the primary it sounds like you may need to run DDU in safe mode to remove any old AMD Drivers. Power down. Fit the GPU in the primary slot and connect to display output. Disconnect from internet. Boot up the PC. See if you get Microsoft Display Adapter on the GPU. Then install latest version of the Adrenalin Driver. 

0 Likes

0 Likes

@colesdav wrote:

If you can get display output from the secondary slot but not the primary it sounds like you may need to run DDU in safe mode to remove any old AMD Drivers. Power down. Fit the GPU in the primary slot and connect to display output. Disconnect from internet. Boot up the PC. See if you get Microsoft Display Adapter on the GPU. Then install latest version of the Adrenalin Driver. 

No display output at all. On the secondary PCI-E slot, the RADEON logo on the card lights up and fans start spinning even without the 2x8 pin power cables plugged in, on the primary slot the card seems absolutely dead (of course, even with the power cables plugged in). Followed procedure for using DDU and even if I didn't, the card should come alive upon startup.

Yes, UEFI BIOS.

System specs:

MSI x570 Gaming Plus

Ryzen 3700x

HyperX DDR4 Predator 32GB (2*16GB)/3600 CL17

Seasonic 860w Platinum PSU

INTEL 660p Series 1TB M.2 

The cards used successfully with this system are:

Sapphire Vega 64 Nitro+

Gigabyte Radeon HD 7970 OC

@kuba1410 wrote:

@colesdav wrote:

No display output at all. On the secondary PCI-E slot, the RADEON logo on the card lights up and fans start spinning even without the 2x8 pin power cables plugged in, on the primary slot the card seems absolutely dead (of course, even with the power cables plugged in). Followed procedure for using DDU and even if I didn't, the card should come alive upon startup.

Yes, UEFI BIOS.

System spec:

MSI x570 Gaming Plus

Ryzen 3700x

HyperX DDR4 Predator 32GB (2*16GB)/3600 CL17

Seasonic 860w Platinum PSU

INTEL 660p Series 1TB M.2 

The cards used successfully with this system are:

Sapphire Vega 64 Nitro+

Gigabyte Radeon HD 7970 OC

I'd be talking with MSI support it sounds like a slot went bad and an RMA might be in order. Anyway they should be able to help trouble shoot it. 

They replaced a board for me about 5 months ago. Be for-warned it took about 7 weeks for me to get the replacement back. But MSI support was very helpful. I think everything has just been moving at a snails pace with covid. 

0 Likes

@pokester wrote:

I'd be talking with MSI support it sounds like a slot went bad and an RMA might be in order. Anyway they should be able to help trouble shoot it. 

They replaced a board for me about 5 months ago. Be for-warned it took about 7 weeks for me to get the replacement back. But MSI support was very helpful. I think everything has just been moving at a snails pace with covid. 

Thanks. I think that is what I will do. The mobo has been problematic since day one (system wouldn't post if Reset SW cable was plugged in).

@hackersmovie wrote:

did you check to see if the first PCIe slot is set to PCI gen 3 or 4? Try switching it from whatever it is set to now and see if it will work then.

Yes, tried that already. No dice.

0 Likes

If your older cards are working on the same slot than I would point my finger at the card. Closely inspect if the psu supply cable and card are making a good connection. Sometimes the pins get pushed backwards. Or something is blocking the card from making good contact with the top of the slot. It would help if you could try it on another system.

0 Likes

Took the card to a local repair shop, worked without a hitch on their sysytem. Bought Asus x570 TUF Gaming. Just finished migrating my system - worked on first attempt. It must have been the mobo.

Awesome! Good job. Thanks for reporting back what helped. It may help the next user with your symptoms!

Enjoy your computer!

0 Likes
Paulymcnasty
Journeyman III

Did you try the amd clean up utility before installing the new card?

0 Likes

@Paulymcnasty wrote:

Did you try the amd clean up utility before installing the new card?

I used the DDU cleanup utility. However, I feel this is not a system-level issue. The card seems absolutely dead in the first slot.

0 Likes

did you check to see if the first PCIe slot is set to PCI gen 3 or 4? Try switching it from whatever it is set to now and see if it will work then.