cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

minilack
Journeyman III

RX 6800 xt low power consumption in games

Just got my 6800 xt and my experience of testing games, it seems that when I'm in games, the wattage is unusually low. I swapped it out for my old 2080, and the wattage was what you'd expect it to be. In Battlefield V, on all low settings, I get around 90 fps, which infuriates me. On the rare occasion, the fps will come up to what it should be, about 140 fps on medium settings, but when I switch to all low settings it starts to fail and fps decreases. I've tried many things but nothing seems to work. I've seen other posts of people with 6800 xt's and a common problem they suggest is drivers, but there are still so many other things it could be. help.

0 Likes
9 Replies

Your pushing the workload onto the cpu, run the game on high settings (read some graphics performance tweak guides).

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..
0 Likes

That is a bit confusing to me. Wouldn't it run better on low settings?

0 Likes

@minilack wrote:

That is a bit confusing to me. Wouldn't it run better on low settings?

Nope, not the way these cards work and depends on the game engine graphics rendering and whether it is cpu or gpu favoured.

If your using low res/low settings you could try increasing the minimum clock frequency ( to 100Mhz below your cards max) in gpu tuning section (may or not help depending on game).

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..
0 Likes

By tuning section do you mean the bios or a OC software? 

0 Likes

Just buy AMD to lower power consumption.  Nvidia burn power like 70s muscle cars burn gas.

Skippy the Magnificent

That's fantastic, however, doesn't get closer to a solution. Although I understand your point.

0 Likes

I am assuming the latest driver is borked.  No matter the settings in game (low or ultra) I get **bleep**ty FPS in DayZ in towns with low GPU utilization.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D liquid cooled, Radeon RX 6800XT liquid cooled, Crosshair VIII Dark Hero, Dominator Platinum 64GB DDR4-4000, Force MP600 Pro XT 2TB, Force MP600 2TB, UltraGear 38GN950-B

I'm having the same issues. Most likely drivers, yes.

0 Likes
Malenstein
Journeyman III

That's wired, I have Gigabyte Aorus Radeon RX 6800 XT  and my PSU is the Asus Thor 850 (I mean 850 real) and I don’t have any problems with games so far. I like play games in 4K and the graphics are awesome!!

0 Likes