low cpu and gpu usage ingame cause fps drop, 

also seems to be normal in game menu... 

Check Bungie forum PC FPS issues megathread 

0 Likes
Joelacosta15p
Journeyman III

Re: RX 6800 XT Low GPU Usage

Appreciate the response! 

Update: I “think” I figured out what my problem was. I still had preexisting NVIDA drivers so I ended up removing all drivers. Reinstalled the Adrenaline driver. My FPS seems solid (180-200) on ultra settings in Battlefield. However sometimes, I still get stuttering. (I’m not sure if it’s because the map itself is extremely populated). When I run Halo 4 remaster - no stuttering issues. FPS still about 150+. My biggest issue i’ve noticed though is that my GPU usage is still fairly low. Now it’s about 70-80%. Sometimes in an idle screen - it’ll run 90%. If I run a bench mark program it’ll hold a steady 98-99%. 

I disabled the PBO. Ran the HWiFN and ran 3DMARK (results below). My cores seemed to be normal (i’m kind of ignorant to this type of stuff so please take it with a grain of salt lol). My cores fluctuated. Some boosted up to almost 5000k while others stood around the 3600k mark. Sometimes, all cores were in synced. But none of them ever went below 2800K while running the test. Also, i’ve noticed my VRAM is typically low (according to radeon software runs around 30-40%). I was wondering if maybe my PSU isn’t pumping out enough power - so I ordered a EVGA 1000W Platinum to see if maybe it’ll help out. More to follow on those findings. 

Appreciate the help though brother. ima take a look at HWiFN while playing BFV and see what happens. 

image.jpg

0 Likes
mackbolan777
Forerunner

I think PBO is broken and I went to an all core OC of 4700 at 1.27v, temps are in the 40c idle, 60c game, no FPS drops. To do it you need to turn off CPB and PBO and manually set the BUS to 100Mhz. Start at 4700 or 47X and a manual vcore of 1.256v. Test with HWiNFO Beta 4.63 version because the stable will crash your system due to a GPU compatibility problem, and use Cinebench R23 for the basic stability check.

Run the multi core first with HWiNFO on top to monitor your temps. While testing it might crash at that voltage. Go back into BIOS and add a small amount more to vcore, like the next step is roughly 1.270v. This might even be the best setting. Re-run the test and if you pass 2 times, temps stay below 85c ( I get 73-75c multi core), I'd say you're good at 4.7Ghz solid. If temps are low, like 60c, you might try for 4.8, that would be exceptional, some have gotten to 4.9 or even 5Ghz but let's keep things real. 

Next after you find this good all core with low as possible voltage OC, not over 1.3v because your multi core temps will most likely hit the 90c mark and that's no good; do a single core pass twice. Lastly if all is stable and temps are down I would run 3D Mark TimeSpy (Free version) and it should pass that with flying colors and your CPU line will be flat not rippling. 

Do it right and you wind up right around my voltage and the same or higher clocks on all cores, no single core performance reduction, it goes up. Temps should be roughly 60c in the toughest games with no FPS drops, CPU usage loss or GPU dropping. Idle you should be around 40c or less. Keep in mind I'm using an AIO Corsair H110i, air coolers will work but the clocks will be less. 

PBO and all the tricks couldn't get me to the 4.6 the CPU says it can do on the box. Disabling PBO and it got closer. Manual and it hit the mark, without Ryzen Master but that gave me a clue as to where to go. I researched it and many tried this and it works great. Silicon degradation? Doubtful it's any worse than PBO blasting 3 cores at a time with 1.45v and temps sticking at 75-80c in game.

Took me from my last post until yesterday to dial this in. Your journey will be much shorter if you try this but just go slow. No big voltage swings, nice and easy. It may reboot 10 times as you get it perfect. Hopefully my supplied "hinted" voltages help guide you to a faster result. Check out my results.timespy new1.png4700 hwinfo.pngtimespy final temp 4700.png

"It worked before you broke it!"
0 Likes
Swingcutter
Journeyman III

So the first image is before your overclock and the second is after.   Usage is still all over the place and Fortnite and Warzone have really bad frame rate drops down to the teens with the game micro freezing.  I have an AMD Rx 6800 with a 5600x 16gb of 3200 memory on a B550 Tomahawk board 850 watt gold psu.  I have uninstalled drivers with DDU reinstalled windows updated bios and chip drivers.  I don't know what else to do.  This is a new build and it seems to be getting worse with random system resets in both games.

Swingcutter_0-1614384717056.png

Swingcutter_1-1614384773429.png

0 Likes
mackbolan777
Forerunner

What did you do to the CPU settings? It dropped from the base score. In BIOS there's a few voltages that help stabilize things, one is not using XMP or DOCP and entering your RAM timing/IF speed manually (3200 RAM/ 1600 IF or FCLK). It can be what's on the box, nothing custom, the IF is half the RAM speed. Manually put the SOC/Uncore voltage to 1.10v, it tend to run 1.2v or higher and that can cause problems. Set the BUS speed manually to 100Mhz, they tend to run 99.8 and believe it or not it makes a difference. Look in the hardware info area of BIOS and make sure the DRAM voltage is at spec, if it's lower go back to your BIOS screen for RAM voltage and enter that manually adding about .2 to the voltage (1.350=1.370). Reboot back into BIOS and recheck the voltages under the hardware info area and the DRAM should be dead on or slightly high which is better than too low. Oh, make sure the RAM is in slots A2/B2 if using 2 sticks.

It's important list what you OC'd and how. Was it the GPU only or did you go for a manual all core, PBO, etc? The resets need to handled and FPS drops in those titles are common, both poorly optimized in general, Fornite has it's own issues that dev's have been trying to work on allegedly. All EPIC games are sorta not up to par these days but total crashes aren't one of the complaints.

0 Likes
kingkhalid21
Journeyman III

what happens when you daisy chain the power line to the GPU? I have done this and am having same problems with 6800xt and r5 3600 on a b450 tomahawk max. 3200 RAM the card runs as required on sponsored game such as AC Valhalla but warzone my performance is 60fps lower than what it should be

0 Likes
mackbolan777
Forerunner

I would use 2 X 8pin, separate power cables, no dongle split or "daisy chain". The card pulls over the rated 9amp load of a single cable. Warzone in general seems to have issues with FPS. Poorly optimized game? Here's a good article on that game:

[SOLVED] - 100 % CPU usage Modern Warfare, Warzone | Tom's Hardware Forum

0 Likes
awhile
Journeyman III

My only guess would be a bad CPU cooler, due to the safeguards the only way to know is to switch to another cooler with good paste and see. Also make sure you have 2 pcie on GPU and not just a split cable, I think it uses too many watts for a daisy chain. GPU should always be high usage unless it is bottlenecked in a game or just not receiving power

0 Likes
Swingcutter
Journeyman III

I just overclocked the gpu. I have tried with PBO on and off.  Nothing seems to matter. I was able to get the random resets to stop after I repaired windows with SFC /scannow.  But timespy is unstable with any overclock of cpu and gpu stock.  It seems the most stable with a 20 negative undervolt. My temps on cpu never even get to 70c. and gpu max is 82c.  I know fortnite is not optimized well but I can put all settings to low and have 400 to 500 fps and still get drops into the teens.  Valarant runs fine Apex is also fine Warzone is hit or miss but fortnite is a stuttering mess. 

0 Likes
Alaa_Shinnawi
Journeyman III

Me too Exactly, I have AMD 5950x & RX 6900 XT.

But Always (GPU UTIL  &  GPU PWR) too low .

And the result too low FPS.

0 Likes