cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

cloudeffect
Adept I

RX 6800 XT - LG CX - PC Crashing

I'm having issues with my 6800 XT paired with the LG CX. It has intermittent issues where it will crash my PC if I do anything that will cause the "Instant Game Response" to trigger. Examples would be changing graphical settings like resolution in games or turning HDR on and off. The thing is it doesn't happen every time I do these things hence intermittent issue. Once I have my game settings set it won't crash at all as long as I stay in the game but there's always a possibility it will crash if I minimize a game.

I did buy an 8K HDMI cable off Amazon, but it's hard to verify if it's actually an HDMI 2.1 cable. I did end up buying another cable which hasn't got here yet from a company called Zeskit.

Another thing I tried is looping the Unigine Heaven benchmark overnight and woke up to it still running.

I did run prime95 (blend test) for 5 hours with no errors.

Is anyone else experiencing issue like this. I can't seem to figure it out.

Update 1:

I did some more testing and hooked up my old monitor which has both a DisplayPort and an HDMI port. What I initially did was write a script to keep pressing space every 5 seconds so it would turn HDR on and off over and over again. I did this on my LG CX first and it crashed after a couple minutes or so of doing it. I then took the old monitor and hooked up the computer to the DisplayPort and ran the script again and let it sit for 15 to 20 minutes. When I got back it's still on switching the HDR on and off so that test passed. I then was curious if it was the HDMI port on my GPU and so I did the same thing and hooked it up to the DMI port on my old monitor and it passed this test as well. So this would almost certainly rule out the HDMI port on the GPU being the issue. I then tried hooking my PC to another HDMI port on the LG CX and it crashed yet again. So physically it seems like the LG CX and the 6800 XT are most likely fine. I'm still waiting on the HDMI cable which should arrive tomorrow. I can only think of two scenarios off the top of my head. It's either the HDMI cable causing the issue or there is a software/driver/communication issue between the 6800 XT and the LG CX.

Just to mention this since it might be important. When the computer did crash during the testing above I left my Spotify music on through my headphones and the music was still playing so the pc is still functioning just without any display.

3 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

The problem is manifold, with my RX5700XT it was the same with a black screen and restart, the error message from Adrenalin was Wattman. However, the entire AMD PCI Express 4 cards are partially affected. My approach is: Deactivate network card, uninstall all graphics drivers with DDD in safe mode, restart and install the previously downloaded 21.9.2 driver only (under options) and also activate the monitor driver, network. In "Mains operation and energy saving, additional energy setting", I set AMD Ryzen Balanced to maximum performance and switched off the energy-saving mode of the monitor, etc. That's how I've solved my problem so far. Anything else did not last.

0 Likes
cloudeffect
Adept I

I'm still having this issue a month later when I update to anything from 21.9.1 and beyond. They must have changed something to cause my screen to black screen with these drivers. It will work fine on 21.8.2 drivers. When my PC does black screen I know the PC itself is still on and working because if I turn my PS5 controller on it will connect to it. It's just the GPU is not display a picture to the TV. I've tried unplugging it and plugging it back in and that doesn't fix it. I've tried the new official drivers (21.10.2) and they don't solve the issue for me. Is anyone else having similar issues? I'm at a loss for what it could be. For all I know it could be some combination of hardware that's causing this issue.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

You need all current Windows updates for the Radeon 21.10.3 and the latest chipset drivers from the motherboard, if Ryzen then directly from the AMD driver support. If necessary, update the BIOS and or change the PCI Express from Auto to Gen 3 or 4. A source of error can also be the connection cable from the graphics card to the screen, the display port is probably the best.

0 Likes