Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics

gravyrizor
Adept I

RX 6800 XT High Idle Memory Clock

Jump to solution

Hi everyone,

as many others I'm currently experiencing the problem where my graphics card won't clock down the memory clock on the Desktop. I know that the problem has to do with my LG-GL 850 144Hz Monitor, as the Card clocks down as soon as i put it to 120Hz. The Internet and also this forum is full of people having the same problem, but there seems to be no fix incoming. The only solution i found for myself was using CRU, creating a custom resolution and using LCD-Standard values. The problem with that is, that its overclocking my monitor and also I'm loosing my 10 Bit Colordepth. I don't know why, but its not letting me change it back to 10 Bit again.

So AMD, is there any chance to get a fix for that with that brandnew graphics card? It would be very nice to not waste so much energy for nothing and keeping the card hot.

Thanks for any answers.

edit: So somehow i made my 10 Bit and lower Clock work with CRU Standardsettings, but the highest achievable Hz-Rate I'm getting with this is 137 Hz. Everything above that makes the Radeon Software change to 8 Bit. I guess it has something to do with bandwidth, but I have no idea of what? Anyone has an idea?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
falita
Adept II

Re: RX 6800 XT High Idle Memory Clock

Jump to solution

Same problem, 6800XT Nitro+ with an LG 32GK650F (1440p 144hz), using 120hz is the only way to get the memory chill because selecting 144hz gets the 2000mhz bug.

EDIT:

What a friend told me:

"From what I've seen, the default blanking interval is very short, and at that refresh rate (144hz) the memories in their idle/2D speed are not up to the task and need to go to performance/3D state so that the output image doesn't get corrupted or flickering, etc.

The signal being 10 bits/hdr doesn't help either, more load.

Increasing that parameter and lowering 2hz solves the problem so that everything fits in the idle speed of the memories, if the monitor has no problems with that extended interval, luckily and generally does not seem to be a problem."

In CRU i copied the original 144hz settings and only changed this:

142hz 10bit.PNG

1.PNG

Now is working 142hz 10bit no problems. Another thing unrelated to this thread was freesync, on the driver was reported 120-144hz... changed that on CRU to 48-144hz which is what LG says my monitor supports and now is also working fine.

View solution in original post

29 Replies
exactly99
Adept I

Jump to solution

Same hardware combination here.  141.7Hz is as far as I can get without losing 10Bit. 

141.7.png

And managed to go 142 after a couple of tries

142.png

grifers
Adept II

Jump to solution

Same problem, like my previous 5700 xt issue :(. My monitor is Benq Ex3202R (1440p 144hz)

0 Likes
MRTT
Adept I

Jump to solution

Same problem here with the RX 6800 XT. Close to 2000 Mhz Memory Clock at desktop idle.

gravyrizor
Adept I

Jump to solution

Very interesting. Do you have an actual idea of what exactly you're doing there or is it just trial and error? I don't have any clue what these settings there are doing and I am a bit concerned, that with these settings the picture may get distorted or the monitor even get damaged.

Two Hz less would definitely be okay, but I'm not sure about my monitor. I just don't get what the problem with a low memory clock and just monitor standard timing would be. :(

0 Likes
kingfish
MVP

Jump to solution

Make sure your Display setting is set to 144.

Screenshot_3.png

0 Likes
najsr
Adept I

Jump to solution

I have exactly the same error. Running Dell S2721DGF at 1440p. Even at 60Hz it is still stuck at ~ 2000 MHz even on a single monitor.

Is there a simple solution to that if CRU does not work?

0 Likes
gravyrizor
Adept I

Jump to solution

What exactly do you mean? Of course it is set to 144Hz or what are you suggesting?

0 Likes
pokester
MVP

Jump to solution

@gravyrizor wrote:

Hi everyone,

as many others I'm currently experiencing the problem where my graphics card won't clock down the memory clock on the Desktop. I know that the problem has to do with my LG-GL 850 144Hz Monitor, as the Card clocks down as soon as i put it to 120Hz. The Internet and also this forum is full of people having the same problem, but there seems to be no fix incoming. The only solution i found for myself was using CRU, creating a custom resolution and using LCD-Standard values. The problem with that is, that its overclocking my monitor and also I'm loosing my 10 Bit Colordepth. I don't know why, but its not letting me change it back to 10 Bit again.

So AMD, is there any chance to get a fix for that with that brandnew graphics card? It would be very nice to not waste so much energy for nothing and keeping the card hot.

Thanks for any answers.

edit: So somehow i made my 10 Bit and lower Clock work with CRU Standardsettings, but the highest achievable Hz-Rate I'm getting with this is 137 Hz. Everything above that makes the Radeon Software change to 8 Bit. I guess it has something to do with bandwidth, but I have no idea of what? Anyone has an idea?

I would highly suggest all of you with this issue report it using the Bug Report in Radeon Settings.

If you want two way support from AMD you can also report your issues here, this is good if they need to ask you questions as the bug report is just one way communication: https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form

0 Likes
G5Y
Adept I

Jump to solution

I have the same issue here.

Would really appreciate a fix. 
Reported this bug over the radeon Bug report tool.Screenshot 2020-12-08 201054.jpg

0 Likes