cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

fenix144
Adept I

rx 6800 xt green screen desktop crash

So I've just bought this new msi rx 6800 xt gaming x trio, which I was super stocked about, it replacing my ageing gtx 1080. So I install it, system boots just fine. Great, I install the drivers. First desktop crash after just having installed the drivers... hmmkk. Maybe just a fluke. After a hard reboot, promptly crashes again. So I've run through a bunch of solutions, installing drivers, uninstalling, ddu etc. So far no luck. Any of this sounds familiar to anyone?

More info: 

Windows 10 desktop pc version 2004

CPU: ryzen 5 3600x

RAM: Corsair vengeance 3200mhz 16gb 2x8 CL14

MOBO: Asrock steel legend b450

Drivers: Both most recent ones, 2020-20.11.2 and 2020-21.1.1

Displays: Old ass asus 24" 60hz 1080p VS247 on HDMI and a Gigabyte G27Q 1440p 144hz on displayport

PSU: Corsair HX750 750watts of course

22 Replies
Bossco82
Adept I

Hi there,

I have this exact same problem. Again it's a MSI 6800xt gaming X. System specs.

5600x

Msi X570 

Corsair 3200 ddr4 Amd optimised 

Sabrent nvme 

Corsair TX750 ran my Msi 2080ti perfectly 

Everything is fine until I install the Radeon drivers. That's now using a fresh clean install of Windows 10 2004 64bit.

Any ideas??

0 Likes

are you useing Displayport, if so try a converter to hdmi it works on mine crashes every time i plug in direct displayport to display port can run any converter tried up to 4k as i dont have any 8k displays to test this but i can run super res at 8k

0 Likes
mackbolan777
Forerunner

Try reinstalling the driver but first use DDU to fully uninstall both Nvidia and the AMD drivers on there now. Here's a link: Display Driver Uninstaller Download version 18.0.3.6 (guru3d.com)

Do this uninstallation in safe mode. Also be disconnected from the internet while doing the process to avoid AMD installing the latest driver for the card, until we see if this driver 21.1.1 works ok. If all is ok, disable the auto-update driver feature in the Radeon settings, while letting it "search" for the latest, prevent it from installing automatically. This gives you time to read the "release notes" to see if the newer package has anything to offer you or any fixes you need. If not, leave your current working driver alone.

You'll also want to use 2 X PCIe power cables vs. the single with a dongle design for this card. In fact, I recommend it on any card with 2 power plugs. The single cable is capable of 300W and 9A max. The card can spike as high as 2.5w per frame and use 14A easily. So running 2 cables is the right way to do it.

Still having issues, drop down to the one monitor running the DP port and see if that fixes it. I know you state having done some of these steps, but maybe you forgot to do it in safe mode? Or lacking 2 x PCIe power cables off the PSU plugged into the card, which I know for a fact your PSU has, can be a problem. You can also try the older 20.12.1 driver, I use that one on a non-XT RX 6800. Windows version might matter as the latest is the 20H2 and I had an issue with the last update when it was still the 2004. Reinstalling the OS is another choice that may benefit you if you grab the latest install from Microsoft using the Media Creation Tool and wiping the drive to start from scratch. That's kind of what I did inadvertently, when I upgraded the SSD a month before getting the RX 6800, so I might have dodged something there.

This might be obvious, but make sure the card is seated right and that no RAM got knocked loose installing that huge card. Hopefully, you laid the PC on it's side to avoid PCIe slot damage from the weight.

"It worked before you broke it!"
0 Likes

Thanks for replying Mackbolan. I've been building computers for 20 years and have tried all that. I'm also now running a fresh Windows install. Especially the psu cables I always use 2 separate cables. 

For any suspect on my psu I tried putting my 2080ti back in this afternoon and it worked. So there can't be any pcie or ddr4 problems either.

Only thing I haven't tried is the 20.12.1 drivers, thanks for that suggestion.

Well then you have the same amount of experience as me in years of building PC's. That means you also know that MSI isn't the best brand as well. Given the problems with the Merc's, don't be surprised if the card is defective.

0 Likes
Wayzzz999
Journeyman III

I have the same problem 6800XT MSI. I tried everything including reinstalling windows

0 Likes
Wayzzz999
Journeyman III

Did u find a solution?

0 Likes

I have been having a similar problem with my MSI RX 6800 XT Gaming Trio X as well.

Mine is OK for normal operation.  But Elite Dangerous will crash to reboot quite often when jumping to another system.

If I down clock it to 2200.  It is stable, but can have a slight hitch in the load screen every once in a while where the fps and power nose dive for an instant.  I have further taken 5% of the power limit out and haven't seen the hitch in a few nights.

I have tried running RAM at 2133, tried the last 3 drivers, tried the last 2 BIOSes for the MB.  This system has been stable with my old GTX 970 since November.  Waiting for a video card.

I think it might be a PSU issue.  There are lots of people out there with 750-850W who are shutting down or rebooting because the card draws too much power for an instant. Mine certainly seems to follow the same behaviour, but I only have the one software that it happens with.

I have run Timespy, Heaven, Kombuster with furmark, MSFS2020, Overwatch, PC Builder Sim.  All without problems.  Not a single problem, except Elite Dangerous system jumping.  It's down to PSU or driver/power curve too agressive for that particular operation.  Until they can get data on it and fix it, I will just down tune my card a bit.

I might Amazon a 1000W PSU and see if that fixes it.  It's free to try at any rate.  PSUs are soo expensive now, and hard to find.

Nothing fancy, but good quality system.  No OC on anything.

EVGA 750 Supernova G2, Ryzen 5600x, Strix X570 E Gaming, RX 6800 XT Gaming Trio X, 2 x 16GB Trident Z Neo 3600CL16. 3x SSD, 1 HDD, 2 LED strips.

0 Likes

Try moving your min/max GPU clocks to within 100Mhz to see if that stops the sudden power draw. Also set the VRAM to "fast" if it's not yet. 

0 Likes

I tried everything possible. MSI cards are junk. 

0 Likes

No, they are "very pretty junk". Seriously, I think they're junk myself. If they spent more time in R&D and less in RGB, they might get some where. Years ago, like before 2014 they were decent. Post UEFI, mostly junk. I did have one good GPU from them but it was a 1080i Nvidia Duke with no RGB. 

Just RMA the thing and see what happens. Or Buy an RX 6800 Gigabyte 16G, not the Gaming OC, because the fans suck on the OC model and it should work perfectly.

0 Likes
Cookies
Journeyman III

This could be an issue I have found while running my 6800 xt on TV, I'm just a Highschool nerd so no expert and can't explain it, but might lead you on the right path... I was running my PC on living room TV, would get random crashes to green screen often when idol, or just web browsing... tried many solutions like you, from swapping around hardware to Uninstaller and reinstalling drivers, firmware... blah blah - then someone mentioned to me it could be an issue with HDMI handshaking for somereason, my display is only 60Hz (I noticed you have a 60Hz display as well)... and I was suggested to go into my Windows and Radeon display settings and make sure everything was locked and set for the correct resolution and Hz... so far have not had an issue in 3 days which is an improvement, as before it was happening like 1-2 times a day.

0 Likes
tallyhipp
Journeyman III

try a converter from displayport to HDMI for your main screen i have the same issaue same GPU and as long as i use DP to HDMI no probs at all im not happy with this but it is working and my card even destroyed my windows during the first week of trying to work out what was going on.

0 Likes

Update to this thread i ahve now found elswhere in these forums to set VRAM to fast setting and have not had a crash for over an hour on DP to DP i think this has fixed the issue or it was the new driver that was released today whichever mine seems to be working now

0 Likes
tallyhipp
Journeyman III

had this issue with MSI gaming x trio 6800 xt until i found out through local store and then on here that you need to set VRAM timing to fast and that should fix your prob.

0 Likes

So i have been crashing to green screen on my 6800xt, sometimes right when i boot into widows, so i set the VRM timing to fast, just wondering if that has still fixed the problem for you and if you have had anymore crashes yourself since changing it to fast vrm timing?

0 Likes

I have also been crashing to green screen on my 6800xt, i am going to take your suggestion and set VRM to fast timing.

Just wondering if this has worked for you since you changed it, or is it still green screen crashing?

0 Likes
jlangley124
Adept I

was your Gigabyte display G-Sync by chance?

0 Likes

Ive had issues with my ASUS RX 6800 crashing aswell. 

Specs: x570p, rx 6800 strix, 32gb trident ram, 1tb nvme, 750w psu. 

I've had other cards in the system with no issues, 2080ti, 1080, rx 580. Memtest for ram passed. Tried different drivers, bios, windows installs. All the jazz with reinstalling drivers. Will try newest radeon software update with fast timings. All I usually deal with are crash to desktop out of games. Still a pointless bug on this price range.

0 Likes

I am having the same problem with my Gigabyte 6800 xt OC.

The only setting I did not really test was the fast timing since that sounded like it would likely enhance the problem instead of help it. 

Some poster also mentioned 60 Hertz monitors...all of mine are 60 hz.

My monitors also do not have display ports, but I guess I could try a DP to HDMI adapter.

I will say one thing I am not seeing mentioned is that mine crashes with vertical artifacts in the bios if I am in there looking at settings, but only does the screen crash if I am in windows.  Also, my 5700 xt works without any issues.

0 Likes

Had the same crash just now. Browsing the web on firefox, screen went green, then stopped outputting graphics. Neither my GPU or Mobo HDMI port output anything, though while my mobo port registered as no signal, my GPU one did not.

I should note, it had no issue playing demanding titles at max settings, so I'm unsure what the issue could be for this to happen while browsing reddit of all activities.

I am using a 60hz monitor, though I'm not sure how much that means, given their prevalence. More to the point, I was using Freescync over HDMI. I've turned off freesync, and turned on fast timing for my vram. If I don't update here, it probably helped. I'll try to remember to update either way.

System:

CPU: AMD 2400G
Mobo: Gigabyte B450 Aorus Elite
RAM: 32 Gb, Corsair Vengeance LPX, 2x 8gb@3000mhz + 2x 8gb@3200mhz 
GPU: (Brand-new-got-it-8-hours-ago) XFX 6800xt Merc319
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G5
Monitor: ASUS 23.8" IPS VA24DQ

0 Likes

Since making those settings changes (Turned off Freesync, turned on fast vram),  a week ago, the crashing has gone away, so I'm confident it fixed the issue! Thanks!

0 Likes