cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

rx 6800 xt crashing with Watch Dogs Legion

Ok so to start off: I dont know for certain if its a driver issue or a game issue, just gonna explain what I found out and how the crash behaves and see if anyone with big brain energy can figure this out.

So I was playing WD legion with my new rx 6800 xt, and everything was fine (except for the low performance with ray tracing but anyways) until i start the 1st mission as a desdec member, i enter the safehouse and just when it finishes loading the game crashes, after hours of testing, changing settings, verifying files, actually underclocking the gpu just in case etc. I found out the problem: Ray tracing.

So. The game has ray-traced reflections. You can either disable it, set it to medium, high or ultra. I found out that no matter which option you choose it crashes EXCEPT for off. Why? i have no idea. Also, if i enabled RT once it loads that next part, it crashes instantly, is like it cant handle the instructions of ray tracing in that area... 

If any other of you users with an RDNA2 GPU faces this issue let me know, please. It might be just me or no...

I'm waiting for Ubisoft to drop the update today as they said and I'll update you all when i try it, hopefully, it fixes it and it wasn't a driver issue at all.

UPDATE: Just updated the game, and the issue still occurs, so yeah, driver issue for sure, AMD fix this soon please :/

1 Solution

Ok i forgot to update this, since the 2.40 update everything is ok, so i guess it was the game, tor well maybe a mix of graphics drivers and game code update. Either way the performance with ray tracing is horrible but oh well. Let me mark this topic as answered or whatever

View solution in original post

0 Likes
12 Replies

Could anyone please respond? I'll try to play a bit without RT and try to enable it when i see the scenery being different to see if the problem is located at just that point or if its general. In the open-world there's no problem at all. I'll keep updating this just in case anyone is interested tbh

0 Likes

The same issue was reported 17th of october in reviewer's drivers: "Ray traced reflections in Watch Dogs Legion are not rendering as expected or may appear to be missing. Watch Dogs Legion may also experience an application crash or hang when ray tracing is enabled". Use DDU, remove all GPU drivers, instal newest ones. Hope for improvement

0 Likes

I just installed the drivers, like, when I changed GPUs I used DDU, removed my older GPU, and then installed this one, then the latest AMD adrenalin 2020 drivers, there are no updates since then, the latest drivers for the 6800xt are the same ones as the ones from the launch date (which in fact are the same as the press release, the build date is the 13th). 

Anyway, I played some more w/o RT, and after the parts in the safehouse i enabled RT again and it works... with some crashes, but in the safehouse doesn't, even after that scene, if I go back with ray tracing it crashes.

But i found out something interesting. The VRAM usage, the game uses like 8-10GB of VRAM with my settings (almost all ultra except environment which is on high, shadows which is on very high and ray traced reflections which is on high), or well, that's what the radeon performance overlay says. When i enter the safehouse and the loading screen gets to the end where it crashes, the VRAM usage is at maximum. Literally 16GB of VRAM. This is a driver bug I bet. No way this game uses 16GB of vram at 1080p... So yeah.

I hope AMD reads this and if they need reports or anything I can do that too, whatever I can do to help tbh.

0 Likes

More updates: It also happens in other areas of the game, like in the walkie talkie club, after going out of skye's house or a part which I don't remember the name (when you have to use the spiderbot to go through the vents for the ar reconstruction, this is earlier in the game).

So it's not an isolated case :/ something makes the GPU/drivers go insane and crash, I sent a report through the AMD bug report tool earlier when it happened and it prompted me to. Hopefully, AMD will find out what the hell is wrong with it.

0 Likes

yet another update hoping amd will read and do **bleep**: It happens in some other instances, i lost count, and its always bc of ray tracing, the moment i disable it, it works, and no its not bc overclock nor anything. Why do yall add ray tracing support w/o proper drivers for it omg 😭😭

And amd still hasn't said anything about these issues, i guess no fix til more ppl get these cards and report these problems huh? :/

0 Likes
kroms
Adept III

MAN !   

I wish  I could be in your Shoes,  LOL

I wish I had a 6800XT and have these issues you are having !!!!

lol.    *sigh

@kroms wrote:

MAN !   

I wish  I could be in your Shoes,  LOL

I wish I had a 6800XT and have these issues you are having !!!!

lol.    *sigh

Lmaoo 💀💀💀

Fair enough, I just wanna play WDL tho :(

0 Likes

Ok i forgot to update this, since the 2.40 update everything is ok, so i guess it was the game, tor well maybe a mix of graphics drivers and game code update. Either way the performance with ray tracing is horrible but oh well. Let me mark this topic as answered or whatever

0 Likes
primelink
Adept I

Have the same issue, latest drivers and bios and system drivers and windows 20H2. AMD RX 6800XT once you enable Raytracing crash to desktop 9 out of 10 times and 5 out of 10 times completely reboot's pc. 

I even have a special profile that removes all over clocks when the game is running. 

Soo now what.  

0 Likes

Oh wow, you have overclock on your GPU? this no longer happens with the latest game version and drivers for me

0 Likes

1. disable Win10 auto-driver-install
2. delete C:/AMD
3. ddu in safe-mode old driver
4. download 20.12.1 and install it again 

what GPU you hade before? Nivida? if so re-install Windows (and dont blame it on AMD when Nvidia does strange stuff to cripple AMDs Driver)

PC: R7 2700X @PBO + RX 580 4G (1500MHz/2000MHz CL16) + 32G DDR4-3200CL14 + 144hz 1ms FS P + 75hz 1ms FS
Laptop: R5 2500U @30W + RX 560X (1400MHz/1500MHz) + 16G DDR4-2400CL16 + 120Hz 3ms FS
0 Likes

read the whole thread i already did this, and its now fixed since the last game update and driver update. tho someone said they still experience this even with the latest versions