Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

prinsen2k
Adept I

Rx 6800 XT crashing with Raytracing

Hey folks,

I encounter constant crashes when enabling raytracing on my 6800 xt.

Metro Exodus: Running fine with RTX on.

Metro Exodus Enhanced: Crashing after 5 minutes max.

DOOM Eternal: Crashing in Main Menu or latest after loading the game. No issues without RTX.

BF V: No issues with Raytracing.

What I tried:

Removing all OC from GPU and CPU

Increasing DRAM voltage from 1.25 to 1.4V

Re-installing all games, installing latest GPU drivers.

Increasing paging file size to 32gb: helped in Metro Exodus EE, without increasing it the game didnt even start.

Tbd: Changing PSU from 650W to 850W (keep you updatet on that as soon as it will be delivered)

Sys: 6700k, 16gb DDR4,

Anyone any other ideas to maybe solve these issues or is this just an amd driver problem which hopefully will be solved in near future?

0 Likes
1 Solution

If anyone is interested: after latest driver update everything works as it should. No more crashed or failures. All the OC on CPU und DDR4 ram has had no impact and was not the issue, it just seemed to be the driver ...

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
Matt_AMD
Community Manager

In my experience Ray Tracing increases the wattage drawn by the GPU which in turn can put more stress on the GPU and other system components such as the PSU.

From looking at your post I see several problems, these are:

• The recommended PSU requirement for the 6800 XT is 750W, you are below that.
  • It sounds like you have overclocked your system components as well which can also cause crashing.
  • Try using a 750W or greater high quality PSU, use two separate PSU cables.
  • Remove all overclocks from your CPU and system memory. Run your system memory at 2133Mhz and using motherboard BIOS default settings.

Once you have performed the above, you can test stability with Ray Tracing on. 

0 Likes

Well I disabled all OC on CPU and GPU, run DDR4 RAM at 2133Mhz and changed the PSU from 600W to 850W (Bequiet). Nothing changed, I activate Raytracing in any game it would either not work (Bf V not showing any reflections but running slower), Cyberpunk as well + crashing after few minutes, DOOM Eternal crashing after loading screen. Its allways the same notification: AMD driver timeout...

After crashing in Metro Exodus EE the GPU load will constantly be at 100% until I restart the system.

Also I tried installing driver without Adrenaline software, uninstalled all previous drivers with DDU and uninstalled MSI Afterburner as well...

0 Likes

If anyone is interested: after latest driver update everything works as it should. No more crashed or failures. All the OC on CPU und DDR4 ram has had no impact and was not the issue, it just seemed to be the driver ...

0 Likes