cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

Rezla
Adept I

RX 6800 XT black screens when second monitor is connected.

Hi guys,

I'm another new user here. I've recently got my hands on an RX 6800 XT GAMING X TRIO and the ride has been a bit bumpy.

The issue i've been getting is whenever I boot up with 2 displays connected or when I connect a 2nd display and just sitting at desktop, both screens go black. I can see my pc trying to reboot itself and the VGA led light on the motherboard lights up. I can't get a signal or image until I unplug one monitor, doesn't matter which one, then reboot the pc. Getting back to desktop with only 1 monitor connected I get a pop up from radeon saying Wattman settings failed and have been reverted back to default.

I was using a 2080 super before with zero issues.

Specs are:

- Windows 10

- MSI RX 6800 xt gaming x trio (card is connected with 2 seperate 8 pin cables)

- MSI b450 gaming pro carbon ac motherboard (just isn't compatible maybe?)

- Ryzen 3800 x

- 32gb G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3000 mhz

- GamerStorm 750w Gold PSU

- XPG 250gb nvme

- 2x Samsung LC32JG52QQNXZA monitors running at 144hz

The steps i've taken trying to fix it myself are as follows:

- Installed then ran DDU in safe mode

- Reinstall AMD's adrenaline with 20.11.2 (I initially started using the card with Adrenaline 20.12.2 when first installed.)

- Updated windows

- Updated Bios

- Set PCIE gen slot to GEN 3 in bios

- Disabled fast startup in windows

- Changed display cables.

- Changed to different monitors.

- Changed the ram.

- Reseated the card.

- Reinstalled windows and amd drivers again.

- Lowered RAM speed

Nothing fixed or improved anything, I can say for sure is that it runs flawlessly with only one monitor connected.

Edit:
Temperatures are also fine throughout the system.

Nothing is being overclocked.

Thanks in advance for any answers.

0 Likes
1 Solution
Rezla
Adept I

Alright guys, I found the issue with my black screens after troubleshooting for the past couple days. Gonna label it as "solved" even tho it doesn't necessarily solve my issues.  I don't know if this would help anyone that is reading this but my issue was with my monitors.

I have 2 Samsung LC32JG52QQNXZA monitors, they are 1440p 144hz monitors with neither freesync or gsync software. I originally tested 1 Samsung LC32JG52QQNXZA and 1 Zowie BenQ Z2411 1080p 144hz and still got black screens. I then recently tested the 1 Zowie monitor with 1 MSI MAG27CQ 1440p 144hz monitor for a day and had zero crashes. Rebooted several times and never lost signal.  I have a friend with a similar build but identical card and I threw my card in his rig and we ran more tests (Haven, 3DMark (my card even outscored his in every test lol), played cyberpunk for a few hours) and again rebooted several times. It never black screened. We were also using 2 Dell s2721dgf 1440p 165 hz monitors with his setup.

Final test we did was connecting my 2 samsung monitors with his rig and it immediately black screened.

I know the patch notes mentioned potential black screens with Samsung G9 monitors but I think its safe to assume my monitors are having the same issues as those.

I guess I just gotta wait for a driver update to fix this.

Thanks for all the replies.

View solution in original post

28 Replies