cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

Rezla
Adept I

RX 6800 XT black screens when second monitor is connected.

Hi guys,

I'm another new user here. I've recently got my hands on an RX 6800 XT GAMING X TRIO and the ride has been a bit bumpy.

The issue i've been getting is whenever I boot up with 2 displays connected or when I connect a 2nd display and just sitting at desktop, both screens go black. I can see my pc trying to reboot itself and the VGA led light on the motherboard lights up. I can't get a signal or image until I unplug one monitor, doesn't matter which one, then reboot the pc. Getting back to desktop with only 1 monitor connected I get a pop up from radeon saying Wattman settings failed and have been reverted back to default.

I was using a 2080 super before with zero issues.

Specs are:

- Windows 10

- MSI RX 6800 xt gaming x trio (card is connected with 2 seperate 8 pin cables)

- MSI b450 gaming pro carbon ac motherboard (just isn't compatible maybe?)

- Ryzen 3800 x

- 32gb G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3000 mhz

- GamerStorm 750w Gold PSU

- XPG 250gb nvme

- 2x Samsung LC32JG52QQNXZA monitors running at 144hz

The steps i've taken trying to fix it myself are as follows:

- Installed then ran DDU in safe mode

- Reinstall AMD's adrenaline with 20.11.2 (I initially started using the card with Adrenaline 20.12.2 when first installed.)

- Updated windows

- Updated Bios

- Set PCIE gen slot to GEN 3 in bios

- Disabled fast startup in windows

- Changed display cables.

- Changed to different monitors.

- Changed the ram.

- Reseated the card.

- Reinstalled windows and amd drivers again.

- Lowered RAM speed

Nothing fixed or improved anything, I can say for sure is that it runs flawlessly with only one monitor connected.

Edit:
Temperatures are also fine throughout the system.

Nothing is being overclocked.

Thanks in advance for any answers.

0 Likes
1 Solution
Rezla
Adept I

Alright guys, I found the issue with my black screens after troubleshooting for the past couple days. Gonna label it as "solved" even tho it doesn't necessarily solve my issues.  I don't know if this would help anyone that is reading this but my issue was with my monitors.

I have 2 Samsung LC32JG52QQNXZA monitors, they are 1440p 144hz monitors with neither freesync or gsync software. I originally tested 1 Samsung LC32JG52QQNXZA and 1 Zowie BenQ Z2411 1080p 144hz and still got black screens. I then recently tested the 1 Zowie monitor with 1 MSI MAG27CQ 1440p 144hz monitor for a day and had zero crashes. Rebooted several times and never lost signal.  I have a friend with a similar build but identical card and I threw my card in his rig and we ran more tests (Haven, 3DMark (my card even outscored his in every test lol), played cyberpunk for a few hours) and again rebooted several times. It never black screened. We were also using 2 Dell s2721dgf 1440p 165 hz monitors with his setup.

Final test we did was connecting my 2 samsung monitors with his rig and it immediately black screened.

I know the patch notes mentioned potential black screens with Samsung G9 monitors but I think its safe to assume my monitors are having the same issues as those.

I guess I just gotta wait for a driver update to fix this.

Thanks for all the replies.

View solution in original post

28 Replies
MartinSd
Adept II

Okay this is somewhat an odd question, but is the 2nd monitor plugged with an adapter (Say DVI to HDMI or similar)?

0 Likes

No, both monitors use display port cables.

0 Likes

This sounds eerily similar to what is happening with my 6800.  Although, mine only happens when gaming.  BUT... not all games.  Very confusing.  I'm getting ready to RMA the card (Asrock Phantom 6800), however I was hoping maybe somebody else experienced the same. 

I've seen to have success by turning off Freesync in Radeon and on the monitor... but no Fresync is awful.  

Further confusing is that I can play some games without issue, like Doom Eternal, even with Freesync ON.  However Destiny 2 & Apex Legends both experience crashing very often.

I've done just about everything you have... maybe more.  New 850 watt PSU, New SSD, Fresh Windows Install, lowered RAM to default, tried different kit of RAM... etc etc.  None of it helps.  

I'm hoping that PERHAPS the next Radeon software version will fix this, but I'm running out of time for my Newegg refund. 

Have you installed and ran DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller)?  Since you're coming from Nvidia, certainly want to do that.  Follow directions - boot in Safe Mode, etc. 

0 Likes

I'm hoping it really is only a driver issue. I did use DDU when I installed the driver the second time, but not before the first time.

0 Likes

Check out this thread.  A user marked one of the responses as solved after setting a narrow clock speed window and some minor undervolting:

https://community.amd.com/t5/graphics/asus-tuf-6800-non-xt-complete-computer-freeze/m-p/439723/highl...

No luck on my end with that method. Do you get "Default wattman settings have been restored" after crashing as well? Reading into older posts, that tool seems to be a common cause of crashing for older generation of cards. I can't find it anywhere in Adrenaline, I think it may have been renamed as "Global Tuning".

I did follow the steps in this Solved post but with no improvement: https://community.amd.com/t5/graphics/default-radeon-wattman-settings-has-been-restored-due-to/m-p/1...

I honestly think this is strictly a driver issue now.

0 Likes

Well... I was just testing the undervolt/oc settings referenced earlier, it caused a crash about 30 mins ago, and upon rebooting from that instance I did get the "Default Watt Man settings..." error message during a run of Time Spy. I didn't even push clocks beyond the auto OC value of 2100 Mhz Max, 2000 Mhz min.

However, all of the trouble I've had with mine has been completely normal settings.  No OC, no undervolt, nothing.  When it crashes in that instance, there is no error message.  The computer must be powered down to clear the VGA Error light on the motherboard. 

My friend mentioned something when he kept getting the "Default Wattman..." error message.  There was a render job timeout value that he increased in the registry settings.  This was with a 5700XT though.  Perhaps I should look in to it. 

0 Likes

I am having exactly the same issue.

I bought a msi 6800xt gaming x trio like a month ago and i am keep getting random black screens.

But, not in all games. I have 60+ hours in cyberpunk with the graphics pumped up to max and no black screens or whatsoever. 

Whereas, i was playing monster hunter world for an hour and BOOM, black screen.

Other examples would be with medium, anno1800 or even when the PC is in idle but that happened only once.

I've tried reinstalling/installing drivers updated windows,checking temperatures etc. I am stuck, dont know what to do.

If the gpu was faulty wouldn't the black screens be happening in all games ?

Also my psu is as per the recommended from msi, a 750w

0 Likes

Do you still have this issue? Because i just can't game on this card.

I have a dual monitor Aopen 27HC1R-P displayport and this black screen issues is just getting on my nerves.

Makes me want to return the graphic card and get a Nvidia instead.

Mine is a AsRock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gamind D OC

0 Likes

At this point I am convinced Asrock sold a ton of faulty cards.  I could barely get my ASRock 6800 Phantom to work.  My Gigabyte 6800 has been 100% perfect.  I can't get it to crash if I want to.  The only other thing you may try is a different, high quality display port cable.  Just sucks right now because you can't get any replacement GPUs.  

0 Likes

Well i trully dont know what else to do. I just might return the GPU and try to get a NVIDIA.

I wanted to make a AMD PC but the problems the GPUs are giving are just too much.

About the cables yes i did connect a 1.4 DP cable and HDMI 2.1 

0 Likes

ANY WORKING SOLUTIONS?
A good friend just bought a new MSI Radeon 6800 XT for !!1.500€!! as if that alone wasn't hilarious enough..he can't use his second monitor with it.. just keep in mind that old 1070ti did everything with ease...
Actually, it's working sort of... if I connect via Teamviewer, I can see his second monitor (Both are detected, Windows and Radeon software detect the monitor, able to play around with settings) YET ONLY BLACK TO SEE ON THE SECOND monitor.

Both monitors working fine on their own, as soon as we connect both, the 60hz (2nd) turns black.
If we change the resolution to smth that always works (800x600) the 2nd monitor shows the Windows Taskbar and mouse cursor but nothing else.
We basically tried everything we found in this and other forums PLUS+++

-Deinstall/Reinstall all driver using DDU
-Using different driver/radeon software/catalyst versions (old ones/recommended/beta software)
-Updating Windows
-Checked the complete Hardware for Problems
-Formating the complete PC (NVME+HDD)
-Reinstalling Windows
-Deleting every single cache in his pc (Graphics card, ram, mainboard)
-We basically created a clean pc setup that's up to date and still had no chance to get this amd stuff working..

AMD PLEASE? HELP YOUR CUSTOMERS? YOU ARE SELLING STUPIDLY OVERPRICED GRAPHIC CARDS THAT DON'T EVEN WORK WITH EASE. AND PLS KEEP IN MIND THAT THIS PROBLEM EXISTS SINCE 2015! SINCE 6 YEARS. S I X  YEAAARS. SIX.

0 Likes

Im getting a second monitor now... give me a second...

His two monitors:
1st AORUS FI27Q 144hz
2nd ASUS PB287Q 60hz
If we change the monitors' numbers (Use as main monitor) it makes no difference

0 Likes

ive tested it with over 4 monitors now all with different refresh rates it has to be a driver issue. no problems.

0 Likes
Rezla
Adept I

Alright guys, I found the issue with my black screens after troubleshooting for the past couple days. Gonna label it as "solved" even tho it doesn't necessarily solve my issues.  I don't know if this would help anyone that is reading this but my issue was with my monitors.

I have 2 Samsung LC32JG52QQNXZA monitors, they are 1440p 144hz monitors with neither freesync or gsync software. I originally tested 1 Samsung LC32JG52QQNXZA and 1 Zowie BenQ Z2411 1080p 144hz and still got black screens. I then recently tested the 1 Zowie monitor with 1 MSI MAG27CQ 1440p 144hz monitor for a day and had zero crashes. Rebooted several times and never lost signal.  I have a friend with a similar build but identical card and I threw my card in his rig and we ran more tests (Haven, 3DMark (my card even outscored his in every test lol), played cyberpunk for a few hours) and again rebooted several times. It never black screened. We were also using 2 Dell s2721dgf 1440p 165 hz monitors with his setup.

Final test we did was connecting my 2 samsung monitors with his rig and it immediately black screened.

I know the patch notes mentioned potential black screens with Samsung G9 monitors but I think its safe to assume my monitors are having the same issues as those.

I guess I just gotta wait for a driver update to fix this.

Thanks for all the replies.

Interesting!! I wish I had a different monitor to test with. I'm not using Samsung monitors at all, but I wouldn't be surprised if they share a signal processing component of some type. 

(My primary monitor is a an 1440p/144hz LG 32GK650F-B on Display Port.  Secondary is an old Asus 1080p/60 using HDMI). 

0 Likes

I saw your solution... 

I have the same issue when both monitors are connected and sometimes after playing a game with only 1 monitor connected. 

Both my monitors though have Freesync integrated into their systems. Hmmm...

0 Likes

110% Radeon software and this is how i fixed it. first run card with HDMI install latest driver, use radeon setting to set your VRAM to fast and set fan curve etc basically get driver how you like it. at this point i used a driver backup program to backup drivers, then uninstalled amd software. restart the uninstall but whaen it finishes unpacking copy the location of driver and shut down install of software and just install driver no software, now you use the driver backup to return the driver that you setup earliear and Viola perfect system no crash for overnight with Path of Exile running the whole time. it is 110% adrenaline software this will 100% fix 6800xt black screen green screen many probs.

0 Likes

OK THIS GOES FOR ALL 6800xt probs at this stage try windows basic driver dont use AMD driver if this works bombard AMD tech support about this DRIVER issue

0 Likes

Did it worked the windows drivers only? No more black screens?

0 Likes

hey there i am haveing basically the same issues and have found that if i use a Displayport to HDMI converter on my DP sockets everything works great, not perfect but it is working as soon as i plug in direct DP to DP any gen have tried all version i get black screen within 5 mins. i am still hopeing this is a driver issue as i had very similar issues with both vega 64 and rx 470 before that hopefully this info helps

0 Likes

Had this prob untill i found on here today to try setting VRAM setting to fast timing and i have not had an issue since good few hours of hard testing pretty happy this has fixed my prob

0 Likes

Best fix i have found so far now is let windows install its own driver and this works fine. you have no controll over your card but it works untill AMD fix there drivers

The AMD Warrior

They **bleep**ed it i fixed it now they need to do there **bleep**ing jobs

0 Likes

Problems can arise from inconspicuous differences. I use two Eizo's on Ubuntu (connected to a RX 5700 XT). After a while I started getting shutdown errors, all I had to do was swap the order of the cables at the card and the errors disappeared. The reason may also be the cables themselves.

0 Likes
Peaky
Journeyman III

Im also having latency issues with my new 6800.

Sound cuts off and pops and the latency spikes when I look at LatencyMon.

I only changed the GPU in the entire PC and it worked perfectly with my old 2060.

I tested so many things and tried multiple fixes but the only thing that solves my problem is disconnecting the second monitor and using only the main one. My main monitor is 1440p@144hz over DP and my second one is 1080p@60 over HDMI.

Its annoying for sure. Years ago I wanted to give Vega56 a try and had issues with flickering and 2 monitors aswell...

0 Likes

I've been telling everyone with these new monolithic chips. BURN IN BURN IN BURN IN, run 4K+ BURNin 1 hour or so then let it cool then turn off the PC let it cool to room temp then do it again... it take a min but when it settles u feel like WATER... so be water my friend.

0 Likes

Idk,

I have the same issue with a 6900xt. If I plug one monitor (port number doesn't matter), then I can run my driver. But, if I have two monitors, then I can't launch my driver and I get a 43 code from Windows.

First, I was into the PSU. But, I changed it... The only thing that did, it to help a bit for the noisy sound of this **bleep**ty coil hardware design GPU.

Secondly, I have long cable, so I tried different cable. It doesn't help...

I had some improvement with cold power cycles without monitor plugged.

But after a lot of tentative, I figure out it's about the number of monitors... And, it's **bleep**ing driver issue, because, it's start from nowhere after... You know a windows driver update... So, it seems to me to both driver provider have it.

My monitors are Alienware and Dell Sharp.

I have the same issue with windows 11 and windows 10.

Amd please!

0 Likes