Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

ArmGadge1
Adept II

RX 6800 will crash when playing Rust with browsing Twitter on Chrome

Hello,

Recently I bought a new graphics card (ASRock Radeon RX 6800 Challenger Pro 16G OC)
But I encountered a weird problem.
When playing Rust and browsing Twitter on Google Chrome,
Suddenly black out and system will reboot with headless(blank screen).
VGA LED of Q-LED on the motherboard lights up.
To recovery from this symptom, need a power cycle.

I have contact to manufacturer (ASRock) and I did some investigation, but all works fine.
I asked them to investigate with Rust, but they refused to it because they don't have any copy of Rust.
(Is this acceptable? Rust is one of the top 10 multiplayer game which most playing on Steam!)

I'm sure this is faulty tuning of graphics card.
Is anyone there who have same problem?
Please try this if you have Radeon RX 6000 series, especially ASRock card.

Reproduction procedure:

1. Launch Rust with windowed mode
  2. Join any servers
  3. Launch Google Chrome and open the Twitter
  4. Repeat scroll up and down the Twitter timeline
    *It will also occur when browsing other sites(YouTube, Twitch etc.)

Workaround:

Don't use boost.
On the Radeon Software, select manual tuning and set Max Frequency to 1905 MHz (Game Clock)

Video (with English caption available):

Specs:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
RAM: 16GB Team TEAM Vulcan TEAMGROUP-UD4-3000
M/B: ASUS ROG Strix X570-F Gaming
Graphics: ASRock Radeon RX 6800 Challenger Pro 16G OC
SSD#1: Western Digital WD Black NVMe WDS500G2X0C
SSD#2: Western Digital WD Black SN850 NVMe SSD WDS100T1X0E
HDD: Toshiba DT01ACA300
PSU: Corsair RM750x
Display: Toshiba REGZA 43G20X with HDMI connection

I tried:

• Verify game files
  • Clear CMOS
  • Update BIOS
  • Update vBIOS on the graphics card
  • Update driver *When update, Uninstall and clean up with Display Driver Uninstaller
  • Use other PCIe slot
  • Reduce PCIe link speed
  • Replace RAM (G.Skill Sniper X F4-3000C16-8GSXWB)
  • Replace PSU (750W, SilverStone SST-ST75F-P)
  • Replace Display (GeChic On-Lap 1303H)
  • Do a Reproduction procedure with other benchmark or game --> All works fine
    • Furmark
    • Heaven Benchmark
    • Watch Dogs Legion
    • DEATH STRANDING
    • Grand Theft Auto V
    • Microsoft Flight Simulator
1 Solution

@ArmGadge1 wrote:

Long time no see,
I managed to bought 2nd card on this month.
It's the ASRock card again (RX 6800 Phantom Gaming D 16G OC) and same thing happened!

I'm at a loss at that time, but today I found new vBIOS version L04 on the download page.
I updated my Phantom Gaming D card in hurry, It seems work fine!
I'll take a look my Challenger Pro card later.

I also tested RX 6800 Challenger Pro and confirmed the problem has gone!

If you have RX 6800 Phantom Gaming D or RX 6800 Challenger Pro, and It have unstable / blackout problem like this,
I recommend to update the vBIOS to L04. it looks solid.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
14 Replies

This sounds very similar to what was happening with mine.  Ultimately, I could never determine what the problem was.  Aside from replacing the Mobo & CPU, EVERY single possible extreme troubleshooting step was done.  Physically changed RAM, clean OS on brand new SSD,  bought new PSU, even changed PSU cables.  Nothing seemed to help. EXCEPT, disabling Freesync on my monitor and disabling Freesync in the Radeon Software.

Unfortunately, and probably not what you want to hear, I swapped it with a Gigabyte Gaming OC 6800 and it never once had any problems.  Ever.  

Thinking back, my only conclusion was that something was wrong with the ASRock's display output or power delivery systems.  The card would mostly behave as normal, but in certain situations it would do the exact same thing yours does.  It would just shut down the entire computer and it would never power on until I physically turned off, or removed power cable.  

Very sorry to see you are having the same problem!  ASRock seems to be putting defective parts in their cards is my only conclusion.  

Have you tried to disable Freesync? 

0 Likes

Also wanted to ask, what Furmark scores are getting?  What about Time Spy scores?  I noticed that my Asrock Phantom would never boost correctly, and I got low Furmark scores as a result. 

0 Likes

Ah, my TV (rather than display) is not freesync capable!

Furmark score:
Preset 1080: 13977
Preset 2160: 5199

3DMark Time Spy score: 14494

I have ever heard somewhere, GPU will never boost on Furmark, because that is extremely high load situation and to avoid damage GPU. So I think that is normal behavior.

0 Likes

Hmm, at least yours seems to be boosting properly.  I was scoring below 12,000 with mine paired with Ryzen 3800X!

https://imgur.com/kTOOGtS

This is frustrating for sure!  In case you need to RMA, do you have a backup GPU you could use in the meantime?

0 Likes

@MrSleezeBag1964 
>In case you need to RMA, do you have a backup GPU you could use in the meantime?

No, I'm trying buy a spare card but there is out of stock.

0 Likes

Thank you! Your workaround helped me to find my problem!

I'm not concerned by Twitter (because I don't use it) but my computer crash on every game but randomly. Sometime I can play for days without crash, other day I'll crash every minute. EXCEPT for Rust, this one has 100% crash after a short play time.

As you did, I made many benchmark, switch components from my old computer into the new one, returned my computer to the seller (very bad technical support...), ... without success.

Reducing the power of the graphic card seems "resolve" the problem but it isn't a solution for a graphic card that costs 1200 EUR...

Here is my Reddit post with all the description: https://www.reddit.com/r/AMDHelp/comments/m97oo0/new_amd_config_black_screen_in_game/

0 Likes

Long time no see,
It's the ASRock card again (RX 6800 Phantom Gaming D 16G OC) and same thing happened!

I'm at a loss at that time, but today I found new vBIOS version L04 on the download page.

0 Likes

Oh awesome news!  I was worried that Asrock just had faulty parts.  But I couldn't tell.  Wouldn't be surprised if the issue was BIOS related.  It was just so random.  How were you able to buy the second card?  Newegg Shuffle?

0 Likes

@MrSleezeBag1964 wrote:

How were you able to buy the second card?

I bought from Yodobashi Camera which is famous electric store in Japan.

I was watching some PC stores sales page like a day trader.

It costs 135k JPY (about 1240 USD!) It's crazy price, I bought Challenger Pro at 90k JPY (about 830 USD) in January.

0 Likes

@ArmGadge1 wrote:

Long time no see,

I also tested RX 6800 Challenger Pro and confirmed the problem has gone!

If you have RX 6800 Phantom Gaming D or RX 6800 Challenger Pro, and It have unstable / blackout problem like this,
I recommend to update the vBIOS to L04. it looks solid.

0 Likes
RX6900xt-w10
Journeyman III

Mine crashes too when I play rust on my RX6900xt.

0 Likes

Very sorry to see you are having the same problem!  ASRock seems to be putting defective parts in their cards is my only conclusion.  

0 Likes

i have a problem with rust with RX6800xt

it seems to blackscreen because of a power issues but i can run any other game fine. 

is there a way to limit power to the gpu just for that game?

0 Likes
csgosmurfnation
Journeyman III

did you try to add launch options on your rust account?

my launch options-

-high -maxMem=X -malloc=system -force-feature-level-11-0 -cpuCount=X -exThreads=X -force-d3d11-no-singlethreaded":

change the x with your specs and try it

0 Likes