cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics

sailorx
Adept II

Re: RX 6800 frames dropping from 165 to 40

1. What are the specs of your machine.  And PSU model.

2. did you clean out the old drivers before install the card.

3. if you did you use DDU help clean old drivers.

0 Likes
Livesey
Adept I

RX 6800

ROG Strix X570 E Gaming motherboard

5900X CPU 

32GB Vengeance Pro RAM

And then a EVGA 650 PSU. Also yes to questions 2 and 3.

0 Likes
sailorx
Adept II

Insane question you pay 700 cpu 600 for a Gpu you and you use bare min for for PSU specs.  I suggest replacing that PSU with a good 750 or 800 watt.  You figure what your pushing on the rails may not be enough.  600 watt for a 6700k 32 gig ram and RX 480 I run nothing short of 650-750 for for my higher ends.

For yours I run a 800 as my bare min with good amp rating on the rails. to handle spikes in power demands.

0 Likes
Livesey
Adept I

The PSU would be fine with all my components it only requires 500W max. so 650W would be more than enough for the build, might be closer then most would like but it's a big stretch for the PSU to be the issue. 

Thank you for your help. if the driver update doesn't work then I'll look into a new PSU.

0 Likes
timber77
Journeyman III

I have long used power supplies over 1600 Watt. In general, how much does this PSU card need? I understand the card consumes more than stated

0 Likes
amdmatt
Community Manager
Community Manager

Download HWINFO64 portable Beta and use this to monitor temperatures. Free Download HWiNFO Sofware | Installer & Portable for Windows, DOS

Please pay attention to the Memory Junction temperature and the other temperatures below. 

thumbnail_image.png

What does Memory Junction temperature peak at after sustained gaming load where you get FPS drops?

I've noticed that GPU clocks and voltage are dropped once it hits 100c until the temperature drops to 98c or so. An alt tab out of the game would instantly lower this temperature.

If it's hitting this value, your case airflow might need looking at, or you may need to up the fan speed, or both.

If your temperatures are below what I've posted above, you can ignore this post as it's likely caused by something else. 

originalando
Adept I

I will confirm that 650w PSU is likely fine for the 6800. My 6800 usually runs 150-180w during gaming, even at +15% power limit on furmark it only hits 233w. My total system power (at the wall) usually sits at 350w while playing COD:WZ (R5 3600 tho).

One issue I found was i couldn't have 10bit enabled with freesync also enabled. They would work fine independent of each other, but crazy stuttering occurred with both. Just thought I'd throw this out there as an idea to check.

0 Likes
colesdav
MVP

One of the reviewers of the RX6900XT noticed some very high power Spiking on their GPU. 
I think it was JayzTwoCents. 
I think it was > 400W Power Spikes. 
The GPU/Drivers/BIOS may have been broken though.

0 Likes
MiniJimmy3
Journeyman III

Have you found any solution since? I have seen issues of major frame drops when I move my mouse cursor (at the main menu) in COD MW. 

0 Likes
otavioc
Adept I

I'm having the same issues in VR with my RX6800. When the game has focus performance is terrible. Also motion reprojection isn't working properly.  

0 Likes