cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

Livesey
Adept I

RX 6800 frames dropping from 165 to 40

I managed to be one of the lucky ones and actually purchase a RX 6800 at launch.

Now when gaming I have massive frame drops for no reason. I'm having to tab in and out of the game to get the frames back up to normal.

Anyone know what I can do? It's currently ruining my gaming experience. Do you think it will be a fix in a driver update? If so, How often do AMD update their drivers?

22 Replies
fyrel
Miniboss

Are you thermal throttling?

0 Likes

not thermal throttling. Tested on FurMark and all looked good?

0 Likes

Make sure Radeon Chill is off in Global and Game Settings.

0 Likes

@Livesey wrote:

I managed to be one of the lucky ones and actually purchase a RX 6800 at launch.

Now when gaming I have massive frame drops for no reason. I'm having to tab in and out of the game to get the frames back up to normal.

Anyone know what I can do? It's currently ruining my gaming experience. Do you think it will be a fix in a driver update? If so, How often do AMD update their drivers?

AMD typically releases a new driver at least monthly sometimes with new products more often. They have had IMHO some issues for a few generations. Polaris for me never got better and in fact is worse to day in the 2020 drivers than at launch. Navi users seemed especially hard hit but many say the last few drivers for many issues are now better. However complaints of black screens and audio dropout still are complained about in these forums daily.

Only you can decide if you want to keep that card past your return period and take that risk. I kept my RX 580 and at the time was just as scarce as GPUs are now as it was during the mining boom. I spent a 250 dollar premium getting that card at the time and only used it for just over a year before moving on to a solution that worked better for me and is still serving me well. 

I will never keep a computer component again past my chance to return it for what I paid in hopes it may someday get fixed.

If I have to wait I might as well return it. By the time they fix it better options or prices may even go down. 

For the prices we pay for GPUs these days, we are not beta testers. 

0 Likes

I think that cooling the card is not the best. About the same as on Radeon VII. That is, none.

0 Likes

To throw in my two cents: 

The card's cooling actually seems pretty good. My old GTX 980 was running between 70-78°C under load in my ITX case, the Sapphire RX6800 seems to range from 68°-72°C under load which considering how much better it is, is great. 

0 Likes

By chance what game is this happening on? I had this issue with on my 6800xt in destiny when in enclosed environments with little movement. I fixed it by applying a manual OC and scaling the resolution up to 150%. The frame rates are a touch lower at around 95-100 but that’s to be expected when the rendering is at 5160x2160. It feels like the card is trying to go in to a power savings mode when not being stressed enough

It was happening on COD CW mainly but also on a few others. Think I've come to the conclusion to wait for a driver update and if that doesn't fix it do some more investigation. 🤷

0 Likes

Well, my RX6800 is a no go for VR. trying to run a Valve Index, and it's completely unstable, barely sustains fps of 80, drops down to 40FPS regularly, 1,000s of dropped frames, and GPU maxed at 100% won't even play the home screens or basic training games.  My old ass GTX 1650 ran better than this overpriced piece of trash.  very pissed.  Can't even use my VR rig at the moment due to unplayable characteristics.  Best of all called the AMD support hotline,  and they told me straight up, have no idea, how to fix, don't know if their team is working on fixes, and would email me back,  They didn't.  Any one else with this issue I would like to know. 

1. What are the specs of your machine.  And PSU model.

2. did you clean out the old drivers before install the card.

3. if you did you use DDU help clean old drivers.

0 Likes

RX 6800

ROG Strix X570 E Gaming motherboard

5900X CPU 

32GB Vengeance Pro RAM

And then a EVGA 650 PSU. Also yes to questions 2 and 3.

0 Likes

Insane question you pay 700 cpu 600 for a Gpu you and you use bare min for for PSU specs.  I suggest replacing that PSU with a good 750 or 800 watt.  You figure what your pushing on the rails may not be enough.  600 watt for a 6700k 32 gig ram and RX 480 I run nothing short of 650-750 for for my higher ends.

For yours I run a 800 as my bare min with good amp rating on the rails. to handle spikes in power demands.

0 Likes

The PSU would be fine with all my components it only requires 500W max. so 650W would be more than enough for the build, might be closer then most would like but it's a big stretch for the PSU to be the issue. 

Thank you for your help. if the driver update doesn't work then I'll look into a new PSU.

0 Likes

I have long used power supplies over 1600 Watt. In general, how much does this PSU card need? I understand the card consumes more than stated

0 Likes

I'm having the same issues in VR with my RX6800. When the game has focus performance is terrible. Also motion reprojection isn't working properly.  

0 Likes

Have you found any solution since? I have seen issues of major frame drops when I move my mouse cursor (at the main menu) in COD MW. 

0 Likes

This literally started happening to me on COD Cold War, it was just in the beginning of matches then resolve itself, but now in the middle, GPU sclk drops to 550Mhrz, I alt-r real quick twice to access Radeon software then clock speed returns to 225hrz idk I think I’m done with radeon, next card will have to be nvidia I guess 

0 Likes

Same for me, it's my first and last radeon. I had nvidia my entire life, hadn't had any performance issue since... always... 

0 Likes

I have the Gigabyte Windforce Gaming OC  RX 6800, basically a glorified reference card. I have zero issues, however, I do use a Corsair RMx750 PSU and it can make a difference during a GPU spike. However, I think most would benefit by using the 12.2.1 driver and going into the tuning area, use the "manual" setting to do the following: slide the minimum GPU clock to within 100Mhz of the maximum clock, turn off the zero RPM fan option, try it. I'll post my settings but they don't work for all. One said the settings didn't work for them out of a few that tried them. VRAM is one setting that most cards are best left stock or don't try over 2100. Undervolting the GPU is ok as well, like I did, but you'll want to slide the "power limit" to max for extra juice when the card calls for it. Fan curve can stay stock or aggressive as I did. My FPS is beyond awesome, temps stay under 77RX 6800 Settings.pngTimeSpy RX 6800 best 1_13_2021.pngc in the hardest of gaming. 49c idle but that's with the fans at minimum, with zero RPM on I was idling at 60c and quickly hitting 85c in games, stock settings. Notice how flat the frequency/voltage line stays. Stock it was all over the place and just "ok" in games.

Out of game the clock returns to whatever for 2D that makes it happy. So it's not running 2400Mhz just browsing for example.

"It worked before you broke it!"
0 Likes
Matt_AMD
Community Manager

Download HWINFO64 portable Beta and use this to monitor temperatures. Free Download HWiNFO Sofware | Installer & Portable for Windows, DOS

Please pay attention to the Memory Junction temperature and the other temperatures below. 

thumbnail_image.png

What does Memory Junction temperature peak at after sustained gaming load where you get FPS drops?

I've noticed that GPU clocks and voltage are dropped once it hits 100c until the temperature drops to 98c or so. An alt tab out of the game would instantly lower this temperature.

If it's hitting this value, your case airflow might need looking at, or you may need to up the fan speed, or both.

If your temperatures are below what I've posted above, you can ignore this post as it's likely caused by something else. 

I will confirm that 650w PSU is likely fine for the 6800. My 6800 usually runs 150-180w during gaming, even at +15% power limit on furmark it only hits 233w. My total system power (at the wall) usually sits at 350w while playing COD:WZ (R5 3600 tho).

One issue I found was i couldn't have 10bit enabled with freesync also enabled. They would work fine independent of each other, but crazy stuttering occurred with both. Just thought I'd throw this out there as an idea to check.

0 Likes

One of the reviewers of the RX6900XT noticed some very high power Spiking on their GPU. 
I think it was JayzTwoCents. 
I think it was > 400W Power Spikes. 
The GPU/Drivers/BIOS may have been broken though.

0 Likes