cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics

Adept I
Adept I

RX 6800 frames dropping from 165 to 40

I managed to be one of the lucky ones and actually purchase a RX 6800 at launch.

Now when gaming I have massive frame drops for no reason. I'm having to tab in and out of the game to get the frames back up to normal.

Anyone know what I can do? It's currently ruining my gaming experience. Do you think it will be a fix in a driver update? If so, How often do AMD update their drivers?

21 Replies
Miniboss
Miniboss

Re: RX 6800 frames dropping from 165 to 40

Are you thermal throttling?

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor III

Make sure Radeon Chill is off in Global and Game Settings.

0 Kudos
Adept I
Adept I

not thermal throttling. Tested on FurMark and all looked good?

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor III

@Livesey wrote:

I managed to be one of the lucky ones and actually purchase a RX 6800 at launch.

Now when gaming I have massive frame drops for no reason. I'm having to tab in and out of the game to get the frames back up to normal.

Anyone know what I can do? It's currently ruining my gaming experience. Do you think it will be a fix in a driver update? If so, How often do AMD update their drivers?

AMD typically releases a new driver at least monthly sometimes with new products more often. They have had IMHO some issues for a few generations. Polaris for me never got better and in fact is worse to day in the 2020 drivers than at launch. Navi users seemed especially hard hit but many say the last few drivers for many issues are now better. However complaints of black screens and audio dropout still are complained about in these forums daily.

Only you can decide if you want to keep that card past your return period and take that risk. I kept my RX 580 and at the time was just as scarce as GPUs are now as it was during the mining boom. I spent a 250 dollar premium getting that card at the time and only used it for just over a year before moving on to a solution that worked better for me and is still serving me well. 

I will never keep a computer component again past my chance to return it for what I paid in hopes it may someday get fixed.

If I have to wait I might as well return it. By the time they fix it better options or prices may even go down. 

For the prices we pay for GPUs these days, we are not beta testers. 

0 Kudos
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

I think that cooling the card is not the best. About the same as on Radeon VII. That is, none.

0 Kudos
Adept I
Adept I

To throw in my two cents: 

The card's cooling actually seems pretty good. My old GTX 980 was running between 70-78°C under load in my ITX case, the Sapphire RX6800 seems to range from 68°-72°C under load which considering how much better it is, is great. 

0 Kudos
Adept II
Adept II

By chance what game is this happening on? I had this issue with on my 6800xt in destiny when in enclosed environments with little movement. I fixed it by applying a manual OC and scaling the resolution up to 150%. The frame rates are a touch lower at around 95-100 but that’s to be expected when the rendering is at 5160x2160. It feels like the card is trying to go in to a power savings mode when not being stressed enough

Adept I
Adept I

It was happening on COD CW mainly but also on a few others. Think I've come to the conclusion to wait for a driver update and if that doesn't fix it do some more investigation. 🤷

0 Kudos
Adept I
Adept I

Well, my RX6800 is a no go for VR. trying to run a Valve Index, and it's completely unstable, barely sustains fps of 80, drops down to 40FPS regularly, 1,000s of dropped frames, and GPU maxed at 100% won't even play the home screens or basic training games.  My old ass GTX 1650 ran better than this overpriced piece of trash.  very pissed.  Can't even use my VR rig at the moment due to unplayable characteristics.  Best of all called the AMD support hotline,  and they told me straight up, have no idea, how to fix, don't know if their team is working on fixes, and would email me back,  They didn't.  Any one else with this issue I would like to know.