Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

Serioussam
Journeyman III

RX 6800 Black screen/ No signal

Hey guys,

Im the (un)lucky owner of a XFX RX 6800 (No XT)!

If i turn on the PC with the new graphics card, the "RADEON RX 6800 XFX" LEDs light up and the fans start.
The monitor isnt doing a thing. Its just black. The only thing i can trigger is a "No signal" if i plug out and in the Displayport cable. He starts swiching between HDMI and Displayport and turns off after a few times.
So, there are a few things i just tryed to solve it like:

-BIOS upgrade
-Pre installed the newest AMD drivers (Radeon Software)
-Tested other powersupply
-Changing VGA cables from PSU to make sure its not broken
-Testing older Monitor HDMI with same result
-I checked all different HDMI and Displayport slots

If i plug in my Radeon R9 380, it works fine. So the PCI x16 slot isn´t broken. Yesterday, i tried to plug it on an old Gigabyte 990X MB where my R9 works fine too. Nothing happens.

Specs:
BeQuiet Straight Power 11 750W
MSI X570 Gaming Edge Wifi
AMD Ryzen 5 3600X (Corsair AIO water-cooled)
4x Corsair Vengeance PRO 8GB @ 3200 MHz

Would be great if you guys have some ideas.
Greets

60 Replies
Fitz0010
Journeyman III

I purchased a new pc recently, when it arrived I have had the same exact problem, no signal displayed but the fans and LEDs work. I have tried everything I can think of to get it going and also have tried other cards in the system and they work. So must be a fault with the card, would like to know if you have had any luck with yours?

0 Likes

RX 6800 Black screen/ No signal - is a default issue 

0 Likes
DeanUK
Journeyman III

Hi

Same here just got a Red Devil RX 6800 LEDs light up but that's it no fans spin or any signal from DP, I tried the card in my old rig, and would you believe it it worked ok starting to wonder if it's the PSU, not enough power.  I have an Aerocool 750w which on paper looks good and powers the RTX2060 currently ok not sure about this big boy GPU any advise or help would be great

0 Likes

Ok I've decided to register to post the same here. 

I've got a xfx 6800 and it was impossible to install, when I was installing the drivers the the screens went black and no signal from any screen (3 connected).

The PC was actually running as it was online.

Then I did a fresh install and the same issue, as soon as I tried to install the drivers the PC died.

My problem was that I was installing just the Radeon software, you actually have to install the combo which install the AMD chipset first, it's so weird!

Anyway, now I can game and it all goes well until from time to time all my screens go black, lost signal and PC freezes. It happened 3 times this week and it's pretty annoying because I use my PC to work and I need it to be stable.

I never had any issues with my previous rtx2060.

I'm more inclined about AMD drivers than Hardware issue to be honest.

Event viewer shows critical kernel error and power lost so I don't really know. All these instances happened in outlook or browsing, so it's not an power limit or temperature.

If issues persist I'll return it and buy an Nvidia. I knew AMD driver support was bad but this??

0 Likes

Need the rest of the PC specs in your case. Anything can cause this form your description. Did you get the XFX Merc 319? Could be temps running 3 screens. Are they all the same resolution, refresh, and response time? Using a splitter can cause issues with the 5000/6000 cards, best to use a port per screen. Use a PSU with 2 PCIe power plugs vs. the dongle/split type off one rail. I run a Corsair RXx750.RX 6800 Settings.png

Kernel Power System 41 is probably the error and that is from the PC shutting down improperly (crashing). Can't say temps are good unless you check while browsing, etc. Use control+alt+o to see all the info while browsing, etc. If your temps go over 110c, that's an issue.

Personally, I would recommend going into settings/tuning and "manual" and disable the zero RPM fan option. On the Merc, put the switch to balanced vs. stealth. This is what I did with my RX 6800 but it's a Gigabyte so yours may or may not run these settings. If it's a 319 it should easily run like this or better. Note the VRAM setting to "fast". The actual VRAM frequency is about 2100 for most cards, mine's a freak.

"It worked before you broke it!"
0 Likes

Hello .. i have a similar issue to your and currently discussing it on MSI forums (RX6800 XT and the unpredictable black screen issue)

I also believe its a drivers or BIOS issue since games run smoothly and the black screen (which can bot be reproduced) happen only while browsing or watching youtube

I removed the RX6800 XT until i find a solution .. currently using RTX3070 in the same PC running solid but of course lower performance. (both cards are MSI Gaming x Trio)

I logged the issue with both AMD and MSI customer service

Ryzen3600/ Ballistix 2x8GB 3200 on xmp/ MSI B450 Gaming plus Max/ nvme WD 500gb+ ssd WD 1tb + hdd WD 6tb/ psu Corsair RM850x (2 separate 8pin cables used)/ monitor LG 32GN600 using DP 1.4 / all items are less than a year old / no over clock / below average temps idle and load
Windows10 pro 64bit .. all drivers and system are up to date. 

For most of us it's this built in hidden Ultra Low Power Mode.  We can disable it with a workaround through the registry.  I just made a post in this thread about how to do it, but I think it's not appearing yet since I'm new.  I'll check back later to see if it's here or not and re-post it if it doesn't appear.

0 Likes
Faydea
Journeyman III

Did you ever fix this?

@Serioussam wrote:

Hey guys,

Im the (un)lucky owner of a XFX RX 6800 (No XT)!

If i turn on the PC with the new graphics card, the "RADEON RX 6800 XFX" LEDs light up and the fans start.
The monitor isnt doing a thing. Its just black. The only thing i can trigger is a "No signal" if i plug out and in the Displayport cable. He starts swiching between HDMI and Displayport and turns off after a few times.
So, there are a few things i just tryed to solve it like:

-BIOS upgrade
-Pre installed the newest AMD drivers (Radeon Software)
-Tested other powersupply
-Changing VGA cables from PSU to make sure its not broken
-Testing older Monitor HDMI with same result
-I checked all different HDMI and Displayport slots

If i plug in my Radeon R9 380, it works fine. So the PCI x16 slot isn´t broken. Yesterday, i tried to plug it on an old Gigabyte 990X MB where my R9 works fine too. Nothing happens.

Specs:
BeQuiet Straight Power 11 750W
MSI X570 Gaming Edge Wifi
AMD Ryzen 5 3600X (Corsair AIO water-cooled)
4x Corsair Vengeance PRO 8GB @ 3200 MHz

Would be great if you guys have some ideas.
Greets

0 Likes

1. do a BIOS upgrade
2. do a CMOS and leave everything auto (no OC or XMP)
3. maybe set correct PCIe slot for main graphics

PC: R7 2700X @PBO + RX 580 4G (1500MHz/2000MHz CL16) + 32G DDR4-3200CL14 + 144hz 1ms FS P + 75hz 1ms FS
Laptop: R5 2500U @30W + RX 560X (1400MHz/1500MHz) + 16G DDR4-2400CL16 + 120Hz 3ms FS
0 Likes

Hey, no I had zero clue what to do but to send it back. Had the luck to get a sapphire now which works fine.

I still don't know what it was, sorry.

Thank you for sharing.

I just gave up .. MSI advised me that probably in my case the card could be defective.

Now i am RMAing the card back to Amazon and hunting for a new one 

Hello guys,

Just both an RX6800 Red Devil for gaming and mining when i'm not home.  Removed the old rx5600xt to try some warzone and surprizeee, no booting, no signal. Tried another psu 1200w, not working, tried n times to insert better the card, who knows maybe i did it wrong. After 3 hours i tried extending the gpu with a riser that i had. Same motherboard slot as before but with riser. Guess what it works with riser but not in the original motherboard x16 slot. It's kinda messed up, and idk what to do with it.

0 Likes

You're probably not getting that fat, card seated all the way down. The front can be tricky because the tabs need to seat into the case and if the front is up a tiny bit, no signal. I had to fight with my RX 6800 to get it to seat right but i saw the issue right away as I had the PC on it's side and had someone hold a super bright flashlight into the case so i could see the tabs on the card needed a little tweaking. Then it went down completely. It was a very slight bit, barely noticeable.

0 Likes
ThisTragedy
Journeyman III

Hey There,

got my own Asus RX 6800 2 days ago and had the very same issue and tried the exacty same solutions.

But got it solved in the end, here's how:

System:

Core i3 9100f

Asus Prime H310m-A R2.0

Win 10 Pro

I even bought a new psu to make sure the Card got enough juice:

Ill just describe my last attempt, since I got it working that way, before that, i testet back-and-forth with my old gtx970 just to check that everything else is still working fine.

after each test i used  DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller), since the old card is an nVidia- so i couldn't get my AMD driver pre-installed

so after bios update (yes, did that last),my screen was still black, but during the many restarts i noticed that my PC still seemed to boot, since it didnt turn off immediately, rather took ~ 10 seconds to turn off. i connected speakers to check for windows posting sounds, and see there, even got that. So basically my system bootet, Card had Fanspin, even got warm after a while, Monitor just didn't get a Signal, so I assumed driver issue.

Since Win 10 got that handy little feature to auto-download necessary drivers when detecting new hardware, i just connected my lan cable and waited.... 15 minutes (1Gbit connection) but didnt notice any changes... so i turned it off again... only to boot it one minute later out of sheer defiance

AND BEHOLD: Monitor turned on by itself and showed me post-screen.

so after Windows installed the necessary drivers, you just also need to reboot.

since then, worked like a charm. gaming, mining, no errors so far. i hope it stays that way

good luck with your card, in case you haven't returned it yet

0 Likes

Having same problems any one know how to refund i am getting frustrated paying 1k for a videocard which isn't working properly.

0 Likes

Return to vendor? RMA as defective and sell it. Or describe the issue in detail this time include your full PC specs. We might be able to help resolve the problem. Do make sure the card is fully seated in the slot, especially the front where the metal tabs need to go into the case slots.

0 Likes

I got a ASRock Radeon RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming and i have the same issue.

PC:

CPU 5600x

MB Msi X570 Gaming WiFi Edge

RAM 32 gb gskill Trident z AMD version 

PSU: Evga G1 850w 80 gold full modular 

Só the monitors only turn on when they want.

2 Aopen 27 inch 144 mhz

I removed the drivers with the ddu program after installing everything and the new adrenaline it went black again.

Im lost and i would like to keep the GPU since they are so hard to get

0 Likes

1. What happens if you disconnect / reconnect display outputs?  

2. Have you tried connecting only 1 monitor during the install process? 

3. Try DDU and reinstall again following instructions here: 
https://community.amd.com/t5/drivers-software/amd-driver-fix-and-install-using-ddu/m-p/426238
Note the point about disconnecting from the internet completely. 

0 Likes

Yes i used ddu for the removal of drivers still ill try again the link you Gave there after work. About unpluging and pluging them again nothing happens nows. Ill let you know after if it worked

Well Im going to try again now and i will give the feedback in a while

IMG-20210404-WA0006.jpeg

No signal.

I put the Rxt 2070 all fine updated the BIOS just in case and Windows. Went to safe mode with the internet off used ddu and removed all drivers nvida and AMD. Turn on the PC no oc on CPU ir RAM. Turn off and install the AMD RX 6800 XT. Still no signal, the internet and freesync are off 

Nos all the sudden after a few restarts starded to work. Now ill have to update the adrenaline 2.0 but Im scared if i do ir will stop working.

IMG-20210404-WA0008.jpeg

Do you have room to fit the Nvidia GPU back in on secondary PCiex16  Slot  just to get display output?
Then at least you could start to debug what is showing up in device manager...

UFF to tight this GPU os a beast its huge i even got a GPU bracket to help hold it in place

In future it might be a good idea to get a USB3.0 to PCIEx16 mining adapter, or a PCIe X 16 extender or even an M.2-> PCIex16 gpu adapter so you can fit  another GPU in case the primary one does not work after driver updates. 

Really glad you got some display output now. 

Before proceeding further use gpedit to prevent Windows Update from installing device drivers and you might also want to go to Task Manager -> services and stop windows update completely.

So what does Device Manager show is installed for your GPU Display Adapters at present?

Cut this onto USB stick and run it preboot into windows. 
If you do not pass MemTest86 tests first, with your new GPU fitted, you are on a hiding to nothing. 
https://www.memtest86.com/

It will take time but it is worth it to get that working first before going any further. 

Thanks. 

Yes its doing the test bit Will take 2 more hours until now on step 2 of 4 near the end a 0 errors 

IMG-20210405-WA0002.jpeg

0 Likes

Ok so ive done the RAM tests 0 errors, started the occ test and lose the signal. No Boost on CPU o GPU all default. I just dont know what to do anyomore. Should i do a fresh win10 install?

0 Likes

Hi, 

(1). RE: Ok so ive done the RAM tests 0 errors
I know you ran MemTest86 pre-boot. 
So that means that passed o.k - which is good news for you. 
Looks like you ran it with RAM Speed set to 3200MHz. 

Did you purchase and run  Karhu Ram Test once you are in Windows?

(2). RE: started the occ test 

Not sure what you mean.

Do you mean the OCCT VRAM test or the PSU test?

Thanks.

Yes i dos the RAM tests and all fine and yeah my RAM is 3200 and not 3400 my bad.

On the occt test it just goes black the screen

(1). Running the PassMark Memtest86 at 3200MHz is the correct starting point because that is the specification RAM speed for the processor. 

However if your Ram is speed grade of 3400MHz and your Motherboard spec says it can run RAM at 3400MHz and that is what you normally run at then you should set the VBIOS to run the RAM at 3400MHz and rerun the PassMark Memtest86 again pre-boot. 

(2). Did you buy Karhu Ram Test and run it in Windows? If so what was the result? 

(3). OK - so the OCCT VRAM Test results in a black screen. - Does that happen immediately?
Maybe it does not support RX 6800 GPU - there was a version released which had updates for recent AMD AGESA updates - which one are you running please?

I will check the very latest version still runs o.k. for me right now.

(4). Did you run OCCT Power Stability test? 

Thanks. 

My RAM is 3200 MHz not 3400 MHz that was by bad. All tests where fine. When i use the occt to Run the test it goes to black screen after 10, 15 seconds into the test. I used OCCT V8.0.2 .

Once i run the test it goes black screen after a few seconds, Also i have 1.4 DP cables connected.

Also theres on another forum here a guys saying its due to the monitors,

https://community.amd.com/t5/graphics/rx-6800-xt-black-screens-when-second-monitor-is-connected/m-p/...

PBAzhar_0-1617690119071.png

0 Likes

Thanks for the information. 

I am still not sure which test OCCT is failing on. 

Your picture shows it set to CPU test. 

Is it dying on OCCT CPU Test? Linpack? Memory? 3D? VRAM? Power? 

Thanks again.

0 Likes

Im all of them i lose the monitors signal

Even if i do the AMD adrenalin stress test same thing

If OCCT is causing your PC to blackscreen on any test then there is something seriously wrong.

Check the version of DirectX that is installed in your Windows OS and make sure it is up to date. 

I think you ran all Windows Checks and they passed. 
However ... sometime Windows install just gets corrupted and even though those Windows Checks report o.k. they might not catch everything that can go wrong. 

I think it is a good idea to try a fresh install of latest Windows on a new SSD or SSHD and then install the latestAdrenalin drivers for the card and see if that works.

Thanks. 

I have DirectX 12

version 27.20.15003.5017

I installed the windows around 6 months ago, usually every year i do a format and a fresh install.

But i will try a fresh install in a bit.

Fresh Windows install done still the same issue i get no signal on the monitor

Im getting nuts if this keeps like this until the end of the week ill just return the card and get a Nvdia RXT.