cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

rmurphree
Journeyman III

rx 6700xt keeps disabling driver

I am on win10 home with rx 6700xt gpu. Motherboard is gigabyte b550 and cpu is ryzen 7 5800x. The issue at hand is at any random time my display will shut down. I have to hard reboot and then when i come back in it shows my gpu driver is disabled. This system is around 3 months old and this is getting very aggrivating. Please help

25 Replies
aoe
Journeyman III

I have the exact same problem currently and wanted to ask if you were able to solve this somehow, any insight would be appreciated.

Exact same issue for me.  I have to reset my pc and when Windows comes back, I'm in VGA/low resolution mode.  I have to reinstall the amd drivers to get my system running again in native resolution.  HAPPENS TO me almost every day!!! So frustrating with all the lost time (and gaming!)

I thought I'd share what appears to be a resolution.... YMMV of course, but worth a try if you're still pulling your hair out.

This last time I coincidentally did something different... Instead of manually choosing which driver to install from AMD's web site.  I clicked on their 'auto-detect" application for driver installation.

I've never seen t his before but this time the AMD software logo in the Windows system tray area was blue, not red.  Furthermore, when I loaded the amd software by double-clicking on it, it said I was running the PRO version of the driver.  I've no idea what that means and what the difference is.  The main screen shows this info about my driver:

Driver Version
23.10.18.06-230824a-395307C-INTERNAL-AMD-Software-PRO-Edition

I'm so used to this crash happening within about 5 minutes into a game, that now 1 WEEEK LATER (and I play daily) not a single crash!  I've tested with other games I've played that the crash has occurred in and they are playing well too!  I sure hope I haven't jinxed it!  If it crashes again with this PRO driver, I'll update my post.

I sure hope this helps someone.

In summary, make sure you have the BLUE AMD LOGO and blue color scheme in the amd application and it says PRO version.

I have an XFX  6700 XT  and a Ryzen 3700X CPU.  The GPU is connected directly via HDMI to my 65" LG OLED TV.

I have an 805W PSU. and an MSI B550 motherboard with all its latest firmware. Windows is running on a Gen3 M.2 1TB WD BLACK750.

Good luck!

Hi! I've been having the exact same issue with very similar hardware (XFX 6700 XT and Ryzen 5600x). Have you had any crashes since your post? Do you still have the PRO version, or did Windows Update revert it back to the normal Adrenaline version? I'm going nuts trying to troubleshoot these issues

0 Likes
vialli100
Forerunner

Full System specs with PSU please..

AMD Ryzen 7 3700x, Asus Tuf Gaming RX 6700 XT, Asus TUF Gaming x570 Plus, 32gb G.Skill TZ neo 3600mhz, Samsung 980pro 1tb NVME, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1tb NVME, Lian Li Galahad AIO 240mm, Antec Titanium 1kw.
0 Likes
goldman90
Adept I

Same thing happening here.

R5 5600x, Sapphire 6700x Nitro, Gigabyte x570-i, 32gb oLoy 3600mhz, Cooler Master 850w sfx psu

0 Likes
TubalC
Adept II

Sorry for my English. I have the same problem. I have tested with 2 6700xt I load any game, without overclocking, even with the amd stress test. The screen turns off and disables the driver. The 2 cards work perfectly in another PC with an intel processor. I have passed DDU in safe mode, ccleaner, disabled internet. Same result from 22.7.1. My pc: amd 5600x, giga x570 aorus, 16gb, win11.

0 Likes
Skrybe
Challenger

There are a bunch of different gigabyte B550 (or x570) boards. Can you name the specific model? And have you checked what BIOS it's running? For example: the B550 Aorus Master has 11 different BIOS versions available. The latest dated 20 July 2022. The x570 AORUS Pro has 18 BIOS available!

Also have you installed the AMD chipset drivers and and other recommended drivers from the motherboard manufacturer? eg: Audio, sata, etc.

Thank you very much for answering. Yes, my mother is a gigabyte x570 aorus elite wifi, the Bios version is F37d. The Amd Chipset version is 4.06.10.651. I have 2 AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT Challenger Pro 12GB OC(RX6700XT CLP 12GO) and 1 AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT Phantom Gaming D 12GB OC(RX6700XT PGD 12GO) on another Intel PC.
All video cards seem to work perfectly on the other PC. Something that I commented, trying different options, is that the fault stops doing it if I unplug the card. But when I change something like adrenaline's pixel format, it fails again.

0 Likes
cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

Try disabling Windows Update's ability to download and update graphics drivers in group policy editor, then run DDU again and reinstall current drivers. Windows kept messing my system up with faulty drivers around February and doing this fixed my issues. 

Here is a link to a guide. 

How to disable driver updates in Windows 10 using Group Policy Editor (mobigyaan.com)

Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi, Corsair DOMINATOR® TITANIUM RGB 2x16GB DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT, Corsair HX Series™ HX1000, Corsair MP600 PRO NH 4TB

I have seen that I have that gpedit option already activated. Thank you very much again for answering me.

0 Likes

For me the latest drivers seem to make things worse. Went back to the 20/10/2022 ones on a z690i mobo

0 Likes
TubalC
Adept II

Thank you very much for answering. I have detected the following. If I unplug the video card from the mother and plug it back in, this fault stops happening. BUT. If I touch something in adrenaline software, in this case it was the "color format" rgb to another, the problem returns. Something wrong with windows or amd software. I just don't know. But I'll try what you told me.

cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

Do you mean unplug the display or remove the GPU from the motherboard and then reseat it?

Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi, Corsair DOMINATOR® TITANIUM RGB 2x16GB DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT, Corsair HX Series™ HX1000, Corsair MP600 PRO NH 4TB

This did work for my RX6700TX which I already gave up on.

0 Likes
TubalC
Adept II

I just remove the GPU and plug it back in and then reset it. It worked for a while but then the fail returned.

Now I changed the PSU, and so far it hasn`t failed.

0 Likes

I just realised that you were running crossfire. Sorry when I saw you'd tried 2 cards in the PC I thought two different cards one at a time, not two in crossfire. Peak draw especially in benchmarks is going to be pretty high and potentially spike even higher than the rated draw. Each one is rated between 180-230W (without factoring the spikes) so you're looking at 360-460W just from the video cards under load. I'd be looking for at least a quality 850W PSU preferably a 1000W to cover that.

I wouldn't expect it to be problematic just changing settings in Adrenaline, only under load. But maybe that causes a momentary power spike for some reason?

What were the old and new PSUs? The information might help other users with similar problems in future.

TubalC
Adept II

Thanks for answering. 1 Pc is an Intel i7 with 2 amd 6700xt gpu not in crossfire and without failure. And the one that was failing was my other AMD PC, with 1 gpu 6700xt, to this last one, I changed the PSU and "it seems", at least for now, it works. I have modified different settings of the Adrenaline AMD, and there was no problem. An important detail, when it failed, the event manager had the error: whea logger id 18 Processor Core Error Source: Machine Check Exception Error Type: Cache Hierarchy Error Processor APIC ID: 10

0 Likes
goldman90
Adept I

i disabled resizable BAR and it seems like that mitigated the issue (it was happening randomly to me, to i can say for sure, but it hasn't happened for a couple of weeks)

0 Likes
Medpack87
Journeyman III

Happening to me too. I am sick and tired of AMD hardware and drivers being so difficult to work with. Especially when it comes to high end GPUs. I am returning my 6700xt and getting a 3080.

vialli100
Forerunner

I think most problems are with the PC builds themselves..

A lot of the time it's to do with ram, PSU's and background software.

This is just my opinion, having read through stacks of posts and forums.. 

AMD Ryzen 7 3700x, Asus Tuf Gaming RX 6700 XT, Asus TUF Gaming x570 Plus, 32gb G.Skill TZ neo 3600mhz, Samsung 980pro 1tb NVME, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1tb NVME, Lian Li Galahad AIO 240mm, Antec Titanium 1kw.
0 Likes
aoe
Journeyman III

Do you see any problems with my build here?

Intel i5-12400F with 6x 2.50GHz / 4.40GHz Turbo, 18MB Cache
be quiet! Pure Rock 2 Black
Gigabyte B660 GAMING X DDR4
32GB (2x16GB) G.Skill RipJaws V DDR4 3600MHz
1TB SAMSUNG 970-EVO PLUS M.2 PCIe 3.0 x4 NVME (L 3500MB/s ; S 3300MB/s)
12GB ASUS RX 6700XT DUAL OC
700W be quiet! PurePower 11

0 Likes
HalfGrape
Adept II

It seems almost everyone has this issue, I have a RX 6750 XT.

here is everything I tried so far:

1. Made sure XMP and ReBAR are disabled

2. Disabled Hardware Acceleration on everything I use (Discord, Chrome, Zoom, etc...) - This is what I've seen as a solution multiple times but it's not always the case

3. Tried different monitor

4. Tried different drivers

• It happens with 22.8.1, 22.8.2, 22.9.1
  • Now what I have installed is 22.5.1 (WHQL) as minimum installation, haven't changed anything in AMD Software except for 10-bit colors - The issue didn't occur yet, hopefully it won't

5. Switched to HDMI 2.1 and back to DP

6. Disabled Enhanced Sync

7. Updated BIOS and all drivers

0 Likes
HalfGrape
Adept II

This happens to me too, using RX 6750 XT, tried pretty much everything and nothing seems to work until they fix their drivers.

Here is a list of everything I tried:

1. Reinstalled drivers

2. Tried optional drivers (22.8.1, 22.8.2, 22.9.1) and WHQL (22.5.1) - Right now I have 22.5.1 as a minimum installation with no changes in the AMD Software except for 10-bit colors, hopefully it won't happen again

3. Updated BIOS and drivers

4. Tried different monitor and HDMI 2.1 and back to DP

5. Made sure XMP, ReBAR and Enhanced Sync are disabled

6. Disabled Hardware Acceleration on everything I use (Discord, Chrome, Zoom, etc...) - Some mentioned this solved it for them, not always the case though

0 Likes

Ways to fix-

Update the OS of Your System to the Latest Build
If the OS of your system is outdated, it may become incompatible with the AMD driver and cause the driver timeout issue. Here, you can fix AMD driver timeout by updating the OS of your system to the latest build.

Press the Windows key, search and open the System Settings of Check for Updates.
Now, in the resulting update window, click on the Check for Updates button, and if updates are available, download and install these updates. Make sure to install Additional Updates as well.

Check for Windows Updates
Then reboot your system and upon reboot, check if the AMD Timeout issue is resolved.
If updating Windows did not work, check if performing SFC, DISM, and ChkDsk scans on the system clear out the issue.

If that did not work, check if performing a thorough cleaning of the system/GPU solves the problem. Also, make sure all the RAM sticks are properly seated.

Set Your PC to the Best Performance Mode
If your PC is set to use battery-saving mode, then it may fail to load the modules essential for the operation of the AMD driver in time, resulting in a timeout of the AMD driver. In this case, setting the PC to the best performance mode may solve the problem.

Set Power Mode to Best Performance
Click on the Battery icon in the system’s tray and move the Power Mode slider to the right end to set the mode to the Best Performance.

Set Power Mode to the Best Performance
Now check if the AMD driver timeout issue is resolved.

Adjust Visual Effects to Best Performance
If you are not using a laptop or above setting did not work, click Windows, type, and open View Advanced System Settings.

Open Advanced System Settings
Now open Performance Settings and head to the Visual Effects tab.
Then set the system to Adjust for Best Performance.

Enable ‘Adjust For Best Performance’ in the Advanced System Settings
Now apply your changes and restart your PC.
Upon restart, check if the driver timeout issue is resolved.

Set the PC’s Power Plan to the Best Performance
Right-click Windows and select Power Options.
Now, under Related Settings, open Additional Power Settings and Create a New Power Plan.

Create a Power Plan
Then select High Performance and click on Next.

Create a New High-Performance Power Plan
Now click Create and reboot your PC.
Upon reboot, check if the AMD driver issue is resolved.

Regards,

Rachel Gomez

0 Likes

I did quite a lot of trial and error with my Gigabyte AORUS z690i / AORUS RX 6700XT and have the same and similar problems. Shut down and reboot normally stalls during boot with a black screen. Power off/ Power on results in a black screen during boot (UEFI splash screen not displayed) but Win11 boots with the logon screen. From this situation restart and the UEFI splash is shown. The latest AMD Adrenalin seems to aggrevate the problem so I went back to the 20/10/2022 ones. With these I at least get a screen after some rebooting.

Was this problem solved in a later version? (setting power plans had no effect)

0 Likes