Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

cwiggles
Elite

RX-6700XT dual monitor issue when using DisplayPort

Hi all,

just picked up a MSI 6700-XT to replace my aging RX-590. The issue I have is the 2nd monitor is not detecting a signal and goes into standby mode. Both monitors are connected using DisplayPort.

The really odd issue is when I disconnected the 1st monitor the 2nd monitor worked, however, as soon as I reconnect the 1st monitor, the 2nd goes back into standby mode.

I have repeated this behaviour on the all of the 3 DisplayPort ports on the card. So at the moment is seems the card will only drive one monitor concurrently using DisplayPort. I presume this is NOT meant to happen.  The only way I can get both monitors working is to connect one of them using HDMI and the other DisplayPort. This works but I should be able to DisplayPort for both. 

I am running the latest video drivers 22.6.1 and Win10.

So does this sound like a h/w issue with the 6700XT?

tia

Craig

0 Likes
1 Solution

Update 2. 

Well I ended up replacing the USB-C cable between the PC and the monitor with a higher quality shielded cable. Now all of the monitor issues have been resolved, and dual monitors are working as expected without having to "Enable Clone" in the drivers. 

The lesson here folks is not to skimp on cheap cables.

Craig 

View solution in original post

0 Likes
2 Replies
cwiggles
Elite

Just an update in case it is of use to others.

I had a chat to an MSI support rep who asked me to roll back to 22.5.1 and to ensure the power to the card was not via a split 8pin cable, which it was. 

So after rolling back to 22.5.1 and connecting to separate 8 pin power cables to the card, still no go when both monitors are connected via DisplayPort. 

So i persisted looking at options in the video drivers and noticed the Enable Clone option under the Display TAB I clicked on it out of desperation and lo and behold the 2nd monitor kicked into life showing a duplicate image of  the primary display. I was then able to use the Windows display properties to extend the desktop to the 2nd monitor.  So it now appears to be working.

I'm just not sure why I had to select the "Enable Clone" option as dual monitors worked when using a mix of DisplayPort and HDMI. It seems to be specific to enabling 2 or more monitors over DisplayPort.  Is this normal behaviour?

Regards,

Craig

Update 2. 

Well I ended up replacing the USB-C cable between the PC and the monitor with a higher quality shielded cable. Now all of the monitor issues have been resolved, and dual monitors are working as expected without having to "Enable Clone" in the drivers. 

The lesson here folks is not to skimp on cheap cables.

Craig 

0 Likes