cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

XS-PP-Josh
Adept I

RX 6700 XT - Gameplay appears Choppy but stable FPS?

So I have a pretty decent system that can manage really good FPS in all games. however, with some games i notice that my game looks really 'choppy'. My fps is capped in game at 165, I use a 165 Hz monitor and get 165 fps. My game looks like garbage, as if it's playing at a really low refresh rate but I have tried lowering my refresh rate to see the difference and it certainly isn't that bad. The only correlation I have found is that in the AMD Software (Up to date with latest drivers) the FPS is going above the cap. For example, it'd go to 170-185 even though it's capped in game and when it does go over my game looks like garbage. I have asked customer support a few times but didn't get a response when it came to this topic. It's been like this for all the different drivers over the past few months. I've tried different methods of limiting my FPS like Radeon Chill and Frame Rate Target Control but it still goes over.

Specs are below:

Main Monitor: ViewSonic 27 Inch - 165 Hz monitor

Second Monitor: pixL 24 inch - 60 Hz monitor

MSI Mech 2x RX 6700 XT - Tried both OC and regular both have the same result (When OC i get consistent Frequencies)- Temperatures are perfect 

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 - Default clock - Temperatures are Perfect

2 x 8gb 3200 MHz ram

MSI b450-m mortar max

700W PSU

Windows 10 64-bit

Don't know the exact case but temperatures are great

0 Likes
1 Solution
XS-PP-Josh
Adept I

Thank you for the suggestions however before then I actually found the solution. In the AMD Software I was using the option that uses amd custom performance textures that overwrites the game ones. Turns out they're really bad and I noticed my performance actually improved when disabling it and just using the games own textures.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

One reason for the choppy play could be your GPU is being bottlenecked by the CPU.

Inputted your Hardware at this FPS & Bottleneck website is here is its analysis: https://www.cpuagent.com/build-compare/amd-ryzen-5-3600-vs-intel-core-i9-10900k/summary/amd-radeon-r...

Screenshot 2021-12-02 065951.png

If you go to the link to the website it will show you various games and the percentage of bottleneck while playing those games.

So I would try various configurations for each game to see if that improves the choppiness of game playing.

0 Likes

i had the same issue in a few games with rx 6700 xt.

i found a fix that worked for me first off set min clock to 2700 set max clock to 2800 set memory clock to max set power to max set fan speed to high for a profile for that game in radeon software save and launch game from radeon software page.

once game starts open task manager and select details find your games exe and right click on it choose set affinity and then disable CPU 0 the top two boxes then should be unchecked close task manager and open game and you should be able to play just fine. 

0 Likes
gn07
Adept II

It could be a cpu bottleneck, but I used to have this issue too with a 6800xt and a 5900x. (Definitely not a bottleneck). Monitor your gpu core clocks while gaming. The problem I had is they would randomly dip down to about 30mhz and cause lots of stuttering. I have a morepowertool trick to fix this somewhat 

XS-PP-Josh
Adept I

Thank you for the suggestions however before then I actually found the solution. In the AMD Software I was using the option that uses amd custom performance textures that overwrites the game ones. Turns out they're really bad and I noticed my performance actually improved when disabling it and just using the games own textures.