cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

oskarborowy
Journeyman III

RX 6700 XT and 5700 XT soft crashes

Over the last year or so, I've owned both Aorus 5700 XT and 6700 XTs and in both instances after a few months of ownership (main focus is 6700 XT - almost 9 months into ownership) I noticed a surge in soft crashes, where everything would freeze momentarily and then my monitors would turn black, with the screen turning back on and any crash reports coming up after about 5 seconds. It's incredibly annoying, in both cases I could redownload graphics drivers and would only see a temporary improvement in stability.

A fairly consistent pattern of very rapid spiking occurs just before and during the crash, and even with 12GB of VRAM on very light games (funnily enough crashes more often on ~750MB req OpenGL games rather than AAAs like RDR2) task manager forces me to start closing apps due to a VRAM shortage. Could this be a virus or a system issue? Any help would be appreciated since virus scans come up empty and both times its worked fine in other test computers (although this was a short term test both times).

My rig consists of:

-Corsair RM750 (Not a 750X, so Chinese capacitors but still a solid PSU)

-Ryzen 5 3600XT (Overclocked to 4.5Ghz, still crashed at base clock and with stock boost)

-B550 Aorus Motherboard (In my opinion good enough VRMs for a single GPU handling non-strenuous activities)

-Aorus 6700XT 12GB with the newest possible drivers (WHQL "Recommended")

-16GB 3200Mhz Corsair Vengeance RGB in dual channel

-My pagefile limit is 30GB and my RAM capacity is rarely reached

1 Solution
amdman
Challenger

If you are setting the pagefile yourself, unless for some reason you need to set the pagefile, let Windows manage it and see if the problem persists. Also make sure you have the 30 GB of free space, if your drive is full then it may error out when you set the pagefile yourself.

In Task Manager, Performance tab does it actually go to 30 GB being used? Then it may be a virus or something, see which applications/process you are running and what is taking so much RAM to point to your problem.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
amdman
Challenger

If you are setting the pagefile yourself, unless for some reason you need to set the pagefile, let Windows manage it and see if the problem persists. Also make sure you have the 30 GB of free space, if your drive is full then it may error out when you set the pagefile yourself.

In Task Manager, Performance tab does it actually go to 30 GB being used? Then it may be a virus or something, see which applications/process you are running and what is taking so much RAM to point to your problem.

Tried it a few days ago and have been using it normally, works fine now. Thanks very much.

Glad you got it, Windows has a lot of settings and if you think through where the settings are affecting, you can see where the problem may be.

0 Likes

Hey, I have the same problem, what did you do to fix it?

0 Likes

Yeah, it didn't work for me. Just crashed while recording a game.

0 Likes
amd6700xtuser
Journeyman III

My system (everything OC) was running super stable a long time, but since 4 month or so, the radeon driver soft crashed, but only when on desktop running chrome. To cut it short, deleting all the browser cache solved it. It also was OK to disable hardware acceleration in chrome, as suggested elsewhere, but in the end this wasn't needed. Just delete your chromium based browser cache. Ryzen 5 3600 @ 4,35 GHz allcore, GIGABYTE RX 6700 XT Gaming OC 2600 MHz @ 1120 mV, 2 x 16 GB Crucial Ballistix Gaming (3000 CL15) @3800 CL16, MSI B450 Gaming Plus, be quiet! Straight Power 11 550 Watt

0 Likes