Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

gaulbg
Journeyman III

RX 6700 XT - AMD GPU Drivers Black Screen

Hi all.

I've been trying to set up an AMD RX 6700 XT for a while now and have not been able to get it to run once the drivers are installed.

My specs are:

Mother Board: AsRock X570 Phantom Gaming X
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Memory: 4x Corsair Dominator 16G (Total of 64G)
PSU: Corsair HX 750W
GPU: Sapphire RX 6700 XT Nitro+

Regarding BIOS: Both the Mother Board and GPU BIOS are at their latest versions. I've tested with the factory default version of the mother board BIOS, once the problem persisted I've updated to the latest.

On Windows:

Right after a fresh install, I have video if I don't install any GPU drivers. When I proceed to install the video driver, at the end of the installation when the display should blink as it restarts, it goes dark and I have a permanent black screen for any successive reboots. If I boot in Safe Mode I get video once more, and if I uninstall the AMD drivers I can reboot with video again normally.

The GPU is connected properly, I'm able to see my graphics card without the driver installed using AIDA64, it will show me the proper GPU Memory, BIOS, and other details. On Device Manager, I'm unable to view the GPU, I only get the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter.

I've tried a couple of approaches already with no success:

- Tried multiple versions of the AMD Drivers (21.5.2, 21.5.1, 21.4.1, 21.3.2, 21.3.1)

- All the driver version attempts I've tried with and without updating Windows after install.

- I've tested with and without cleaning all GPU drivers with DDU.

On Linux I've tried a couple of flavors without success.

Ubuntu 20.04 is the only one I'm able to boot on the live USB, install, and reboot on to the installed system out of the box, with no problems or need to set "nomodeset" to the kernel options. But that is also without a GPU driver being loaded.

On Ubuntu 20.10, Ubuntu 21.10, Fedora 34, PopOS 20.10, PopOS 20.04, PopOS 19.10 I need to add "nomodeset" to the kernel options to be able to even boot on the flash drive to install, and also need to add that to GRUB in order to get the system to boot after installing.

On Ubuntu 20.04 I've tested kernels 5.4, 5.8, 5.10, 5.11, 5.12 with AMD driver versions 20.45, 20.50, and 21.10. The kernel 5.4 and driver 20.45 I get a black screen with a blinking cursor and I can access TTY, all other combinations I just don't get a monitor signal anymore, no TYY, nothing.

On Ubuntu 20.10 and 21.10, and PopOS, I've tested Kernel 5.8, 5.10, 5.11 with AMD driver versions 20.45, 20.50, and 21.10. All of them get me to the No Signal state, without TTY or anything.

For Ubuntu and PopOS I've also tried to use Oibaf PPA Drivers, same issue.

On Fedora 34 I've tested Kernels 5.11 and 5.12 with AMD driver versions 20.45, 20.50, and 21.10. Same issue.

For both Ubuntu and Fedora, I've tried installing LLVM, MESA from Git, and using the latest Linux Firmware from Git too.

For all of them, I can only boot with "nomodeset" added to the kernel options on Grub or with "amdgpu" blacklisted on "/etc/modprobe.d/", I have video but no graphics card driver is loaded. I only get to LLVM's version if I try to look for a GPU using lspci, lshw, lsmod or by looking at the system properties.

I've tried adding the "iommu=soft" option to the Kernel also, as some people reported having issues with it.

I'm running out of ideas, if anyone has any it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

4 Replies
BNITRO
Adept III

Sup Gaulb

I have a XFX MerC 319 6700xt, they need power I use a 1000watt 80+ gold... also take into account it might be defective,... ALSO thermal PASTE I've had tons of new cards recently with "MANUFACTURE AT LIGHTNING SPEED ISSUES" like almost no thermal paste ram pads shifted or missing same for VRM, all could cause a cold start charge up problem when the driver activates the chip...

troubleshooting 101

POWER CONNECTIONS SOFTWARE...

ummm I re thermal pasted my 6700xt and xfx sanded the gpu die, its a MCM chiplet... 

So the 6000 series is a new frontier it might be bumpy but im loving my 3090 performance out of a 6700xt... 27,554passmark

0 Likes

Hey mate, thanks for the tips.

I was considering the PSU increase, I was not sure I needed because the recommended PSU from Sapphire specs for it is 650w, I thought I was safe with a 750w, but it might not be the case. About the thermal paste, I did not open the card to check, but it doesn't seem to be getting too hot, fans are normal and at least at the times when I've checked the sensors all the temperatures were fine..

0 Likes

My experience with the current cards.

850 80%gold but only had 62amp pcie rails  so I got a 1000watt 80+gold with 83amps pcie rails...

3 REF AMD 6700xt  1000watt min %20 gain after

1 XFX QiCK 6800 1000watt min %22 gain

1XFX MERC 6700xt 1000watt min %30

1XFX MERC 6800xt 1000watt min %30

1 REF AMD 6900xt 1000watt min %45 THEY NEED THE JUICE and it runs cooler!

Jneset
Journeyman III

You figure out this issue?

0 Likes