cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

kod
Journeyman III

rx 6600 xt coil whine

can you help me how to reduce coil whine ?

0 Likes
5 Replies

Need proof it is from card and not from cheap psu ?

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..
0 Likes

If you verify that the Coil Whine is coming from your GPU card and not from the Motherboard's VRM or your PSU there is not much you can do except to sound proof your computer case as much as possible or return/RMA  the GPU card IF the coil whine is excessively loud.

I would first try a previous AMD driver in case the Coil whine is due to the latest version you have installed.

Coil whine is just electrical/electronic noise from electronic components in your high powered hardware like the GPU, PSU, or VRM under load when more power is required. The heavier the load or power needed the higher the coil whine will be.

If the GPU manufacturer won't approve a RMA for your GPU card there are YouTube Videos that shows some work around methods to try and insulated your GPU card noise. Don't know how trustworthy those methods are though.

First, check where the coil whine is coming.

If its from PSU, my suggestion is: You should start worrying. I don't see that often and when I did.. things went boom or will go boom eventually. Neither my Corsair RM or RoG Strix from Seasonic did any coil whine.

VRM's can do it too, but again, good boards with good VRM's won't be a problem in normal conditions.

GPU's tend to be the greatest culprit, at least mine is. VSYNC ON or Freesync normally does the trick in some games, and there are options inside adrenalin can help you too. If you can't loose every fps you get, then its best to put some headphones, fans to maximum and pump the OC.

The Englishman
0 Likes
ThreeDee
Paragon

what is the make/model of your power supply? ..that is probably the culprit causing  your GPU to "whine" . .or it's whining itself when the GPU is under load

ThreeDee PC specs
0 Likes
Chester1994
Challenger

I had a GTX 460 that made that terrible noise you are talking about. Warranty changed the GPU. That´s my suggestion.

0 Likes