Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

rx 6600 white flickering randomly

CPU: Ryzen 9 5950x

GPU: RX 6600

RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3600 DDR4

Mainboard: Asus strix b550i

could be important: Im using a pcie riser cable (Dan A4-SFX 4.1 cable by M3)

Issue: My screen (4k60 Samsung ur59c) randomly shows 1-4 white frames. This often happens while using firefox, especially when watching youtube videos, but it also happens while running some other programs (lutris -> epic games). It never happend while playing games (csgo) or without X running.

What ive tried:

1. Using different cables (both HDMI and DisplayPort, both have worked fine with my gtx 750ti which has since died)

2. Using different ports

3. Disabling hardware acceleration in firefox

Is this a GPU hardware issue or a driver issue? Could it be an issue with the pcie riser cable? If its a driver issue that could be fixed soon, im willing to ignore it, if not, i will probably send it back.

Thanks for any help on this topic

0 Likes
1 Solution

Ive did everything that got recommended here and it sadly didnt work (except rolling back to driver version 22.5 because the latest linux driver is 22.2)

-Ive installed windows now which seems to have fixed the issue. This probably means that theres an issue with the amd driver on linux or the linux kernel and ill need to wait for an update. Thanks for everyones help.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
7 Replies
J20Joe
Adept III

Have you tried uninstalling all nvidia drivers? (use a DDU),

Maybe turn free sync off/on

you can set your PCIE connection in Bios, Maybe drop to Gen 3 instead of Gen 4 or Auto

0 Likes

I'am 100% sure that i have no Nvidia drivers installed because i reinstalled the OS after upgrading my PC. I will try setting it to gen 3 but since its working fine in games I don't think this will resolve it. I'll see if i can disable freesync later when i have access to my computer. Thanks for your comment!

0 Likes
sushant1
Journeyman III

Do a clean reinstall of drivers or roll back to recommended 22.5 drivers. Also see if it's listed as known issue in driver notes.

0 Likes

Will do, thanks for you comment!

0 Likes
WilnarMasonik
Journeyman III

I have discovered some more issues on AMD SAM.
SAM enables is much more RAM dependent. If your RAM profile or setting is not stable it will cause a lag spike or drop fps too. If you have an unstable framerate, I recommend you turn off SAM in Bios* (*Disable in Radeon Software doesn't help. You need to disable it in Bios) or manually fine-tune your RAM Setting. Run some test software (prime95/Large FFTs, memtest, etc.)

0 Likes

I dont have any framedrops or an unstable pc, just the white flickering which occurs randomly. Ill see if it changes anything tho. At this point im convinced the linux drivers are just not that good even though people recommend amd all the time.

0 Likes

Ive did everything that got recommended here and it sadly didnt work (except rolling back to driver version 22.5 because the latest linux driver is 22.2)

-Ive installed windows now which seems to have fixed the issue. This probably means that theres an issue with the amd driver on linux or the linux kernel and ill need to wait for an update. Thanks for everyones help.

0 Likes